News   Jun 17, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 341     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 495     0 

Bicycle Paths

A few assorted 'random' updates....

-The TRCA has just started closing the Mimico gap, should be done by late this year (I hope). This will link the path by Superior and Amos Waites parks to Humber Bay.

- Additionally, the Marie Curtis Park (Etobicoke Creek/Miss. Border) re-do is underway, not sure if this includes the 'Arsenal' lands'; this should improve the trail/park in this area.

- Finally, a new contract has been let by the City to the TRCA, to do Waterfront Trail related work in Scarborough. Most notable is the new trail in Grey Abbey Park I think it is....the one at/near the foot of Morningside, with trail that will take it out to Manse Road. This is an important step to at least getting continuous trail from Morningside to Pickering (Rouge Park)

There are pros and cons to off-road bike paths. One major con is that they are mostly shared-use, so there are potential conflicts. But they are largely free of car/bike conflicts, and there are few lights and no needless stop signs to frustrate the cyclist. Another con is that they are away from commuter routes, yet some come close to potential trip generators like York University.

Once Queen's Quay is fixed, it will be a nice, through route for both recreation and commuting. And more recreational cyclists is a great thing.

The Railpath is perfect as it is entirely grade separated, but is of limited utility as it is so short - it should at least go to Dufferin and Queen, but ideally Strachan/Wellington for a downtown route. What I'd like to see is the completion of the proposed CN Newmarket sub path between Downsview Park and the Railpath; that would provide a flat north-south route through really hilly terrain. Another one I would love to see is one on the unused spur track lands along the CP North Toronto Sub, especially between Osler (connecting to that Railpath) and Yonge, if not all the way to the Don River. Voila - a bike expressway.

Wellington between Strachan and say Simcoe (where a contra-flow lane should go north to Richmond/Queen) would also make a great bike route, and could make use of those lights installed on Spadina.

A few assorted 'random' updates....

- Finally, a new contract has been let by the City to the TRCA, to do Waterfront Trail related work in Scarborough. Most notable is the new trail in Grey Abbey Park I think it is....the one at/near the foot of Morningside, with trail that will take it out to Manse Road. This is an important step to at least getting continuous trail from Morningside to Pickering (Rouge Park)

To update that update, Ford and his allies seem to have killed the Grey Abbey path, also the little one planned for Bluffers Park.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.PW5.1&utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign

Yet still folks in the media talk about how he favours off-road trails over on-street bike lanes. Hmm.

There are pros and cons to off-road bike paths. One major con is that they are mostly shared-use, so there are potential conflicts. But they are largely free of car/bike conflicts, and there are few lights and no needless stop signs to frustrate the cyclist. Another con is that they are away from commuter routes, yet some come close to potential trip generators like York University.

Paths don't have to be shared use, it's just that the city tends to cheap out and not build a sidewalk, forcing pedestrians onto the path. We do have some bike-only paths in Toronto, such as the ones on Lakeshore East (north side only) and Eglinton West.

Paths do not eliminate car-bike collisions, they just concentrate them at intersections. Properly designed bike paths migitate this risk, but I am not aware of many well-designed bike paths in Canada. Whoever designs Canadian bike paths does not seem aware that cyclists are not simply pedestrians with wheels, that they require a different crossing design than a crosswalk.

For example, the new segment of the Martin Goodman Trail across the top of Ontario Place has terribly designed intersections. These two articles explain some of the issues of the design. The main issues are that priority is unclear, cyclists and pedestrians are not realistically separated (painting a bike symbol on half the crosswalk will not make cyclists go there), and visibility is poor.

The Railpath is perfect as it is entirely grade separated, but is of limited utility as it is so short - it should at least go to Dufferin and Queen, but ideally Strachan/Wellington for a downtown route. What I'd like to see is the completion of the proposed CN Newmarket sub path between Downsview Park and the Railpath; that would provide a flat north-south route through really hilly terrain. Another one I would love to see is one on the unused spur track lands along the CP North Toronto Sub, especially between Osler (connecting to that Railpath) and Yonge, if not all the way to the Don River. Voila - a bike expressway.

I think the biggest issue with the Railpath is that some of the interchanges are awkward. For example, the path just ends at the sidewalk on the corner of Dundas and Sterling. How are cyclists riding along Dundas supposed to use that entrance? The only legal way is to dismount, cross the street if necessary, and walk along the sidewalk: hardly a practical or desirable option. The design has completely ignored cyclists, as is common in "mixed use" trails in the city.

If we want to encourage cycling, we need to build bike paths that are not unusable by cyclists. The south entrance to the Railpath should be very popular because it is the end of the path and "connects" to a popular cycling street, yet its design strongly discourages cycling.

The main issue is that it is very awkward to leave the Railpath and travel east. To facilitate this manoeuvre, the path should be extended south under the bridge and onto the driveway of that industrial thing on the south side of the street. From there, cyclists just have to make a right turn into the bike lane.

Last edited:
The Railpath has another entrance/exit flaw: at the north end at Cariboo Avenue, there's no curb cut sidewalk in spite of a wider entrance plaza. You can't ride from the street onto the path, unless you squeeze onto the sliver of curb cut sidewalk for the auto business next door. When one encounters bad design like that, it really feels like cyclists are marginalized. Offroad paths convey the same feeling when the paths aren't cleared in the winter, when their lighting is inadequate or non-existent, and when they're awkwardly located in relation to major destinations.

Last edited:
The Railpath has another entrance/exit flaw: at the north end at Cariboo Avenue, there's no curb cut sidewalk in spite of a wider entrance plaza. You can't ride from the street onto the path, unless you squeeze onto the sliver of curb cut sidewalk for the auto business next door. When one encounters bad design like that, it really feels like cyclists are marginalized. Offroad paths convey the same feeling when the paths aren't cleared in the winter, when their lighting is inadequate or non-existent, and when they're awkwardly located in relation to major destinations.

You spoke too late. The curb cut went in a few days ago, finally. :)

RailpathCaribooCurbCut.jpg

Last edited:
I think the biggest issue with the Railpath is that some of the interchanges are awkward. For example, the path just ends at the sidewalk on the corner of Dundas and Sterling. How are cyclists riding along Dundas supposed to use that entrance? The only legal way is to dismount, cross the street if necessary, and walk along the sidewalk: hardly a practical or desirable option. The design has completely ignored cyclists, as is common in "mixed use" trails in the city.

Yeah, the Railpath / Dundas / Sterling intersection could use a bit of fixing. But I don't think it's as bad as you say. It's pretty easy to make a left of right turn off of Dundas onto Sterlinig and then onto the Railpath. My biggest difficulty is coming OFF of the Railpath to make a left turn onto Dundas, as the RP dumps us out basically into the crosswalk, so it's awkward to queue up properly for that left turn. Could be fixed by just moving that connection a few metres north on Sterling.

That's great, but why on earth was it not part of the original design? Did the contractors accidentally leave it out?

That's great, but why on earth was it not part of the original design? Did the contractors accidentally leave it out?

No idea. Definitely an oversight somewhere along the way. Now...I wonder how often it will end up being blocked by illegally-parked wrecked cars....

Yeah, the Railpath / Dundas / Sterling intersection could use a bit of fixing. But I don't think it's as bad as you say. It's pretty easy to make a left of right turn off of Dundas onto Sterlinig and then onto the Railpath. My biggest difficulty is coming OFF of the Railpath to make a left turn onto Dundas, as the RP dumps us out basically into the crosswalk, so it's awkward to queue up properly for that left turn. Could be fixed by just moving that connection a few metres north on Sterling.

Later in the same post, I propose a solution to the awkward left turn: continuing under the bridge and to the other side.

Later in the same post, I propose a solution to the awkward left turn: continuing under the bridge and to the other side.

I don't know the details, but I do know that City staff, Railpath people, the councillor, and others are considering various options for getting through that section when the Railpath expands south/east. Coming up from the Railpath to the south side of Dundas might require cutting through private property, so I'm not sure if that's feasible. It's a good idea though...and the City already owns the land under the bridge, I believe.

In fact, previous Railpath plans showed a dead-end under the bridge (with the exit to Sterling intact) instead of the fenced-off area we have now. I wonder why they decided not to do that. Expense and safety issues, maybe?

The part of the Finch Hydro Corridor at Jane is nearly opened. The path makes a slight turn south to cross Jane at the York Gate lights, and the new traffic light arms have been installed.

I like how the city is going with bicycle traffic signals and proper crossings where these major paths meet major roadways. I prefer it so much more than the Mississauga "cyclists dismount" approach as they make no effort to accommodate cyclists.

Back