News   Jun 26, 2024
 130     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Bicycle Paths

Or a campaign intern drew some green lines on a map the morning Ford's transportation plan was due to be released. It doesn't mean folks can't hold him to these campaign "promises".

John Lorinc wrote a nice piece on the eastern gap fixed link on spacing a couple of years back IIRC.

Did anyone notice that in big set of funds handed out for Recreation Infrastructure a couple of weeks ago....

That Toronto got funding for the Finch Hydro Corridor Bike Trail and the Gatineau Trail?

I added it up, its less that the City was asking for; so they may not be fully funded; but its several million dollars.

I believe these funds have to be fully used by 2011; so that means some major new bike trails for T.O.; finally!

:D

I drove by construction on these paths on Grantbrook, North of Finch, West of Yonge.
I wasn't aware of the project but it looks well along towards completion.

From the web site
Multi-Use Pathway Construction
Dufferin Street to Yonge Street
Expected Project Start: October 18, 2010
Expected Project Completion Date: March 31, 2011
The City of Toronto will begin construction of a multi-use trail along the Finch Hydro
Corridor, which runs north of Finch Avenue East. The trail construction will improve and
add to the existing pathway from Dufferin Street to the Yonge Street. This pathway will
be used for both commuting and recreation.
The new off-road asphalt pathway will be 3.5 metres in width and approximately 7
kilometres in length running from Dufferin Street to Yonge Street and approximately 3
kilometres around G. Ross Lord Park.
Construction Details
The work will include rehabilitation of the asphalt pathway where it already exists, as well as a new asphalt
pathway where one does not currently exist. Rehabilitation will involve grinding or excavating sections of
the existing path and replacement with new asphalt. New construction will include excavation, placement of
gravel base material, and asphalt paving. Signalized street crossings will be built at Bathurst Street,
Grantbrook Street, and Talbot Road to allow people using the pathway to cross the streets safely. Some
shrubs and trees will be removed to accommodate the new pathway alignment. Three new trees will be
planted for every tree removed. Additional new trees will be planted in selected areas.
rinc_map.gif

Has anyone created a map of the laneways or alleys of Toronto? They could become an alternative for bicycles to the roads to get around, especially in the older parts of Toronto. Sometimes I have seen some lanes shown on maps, but generally nameless or without differential from regular roads. However, in most cases they don't exist.

Just a suggestion.

Has anyone created a map of the laneways or alleys of Toronto? They could become an alternative for bicycles to the roads to get around, especially in the older parts of Toronto. Sometimes I have seen some lanes shown on maps, but generally nameless or without differential from regular roads. However, in most cases they don't exist.
Given that few if any of the laneways have traffic control, it would be a very slow way to travel. And potentially dangerous to pedestrians with bikes whipping out of alleys as they walk past them (unless there is a sudden change to the demeanour of cyclists, and that they would stop at the end of each alley).

Well this section appears to be complete. Michael Thompson said they will be planting trees/shrubs, not sure exactly where though. Quite a few people seem to be using it already, cyclist, joggers, skaterboaders, families pushing strollers etc.

Looking south towards Kennedy Station:
001npf.jpg

004ly.jpg

Looking north:
002duh.jpg

003uvg.jpg

Last edited:
I just happened to take photos of the Finch path yesterday. Still looks somewhat under construction but parts are open.
5787878519_4daa45631a_b.jpg

5788434158_2a2327e97c_b.jpg

I ran over and took a few more shots.
5788055685_95223a1f54_b.jpg

5788065301_09d28ae73c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be any cheaper looking?
The main thing is to have a decent asphalt path for cycling and once the grass grows back alongside the new path it will look just fine. Better to build more "utilitarian' paths along places like the Hydro corridors than far less, but stylish, mileage in a location where style is not really very important.

The alternative would be money spent on sculpture and project coordinators like with the Railpath. I'm happy with asphalt through ravines, parks and hydro corridors if the network is expanding and it's maintained.

Sidenote: saw nine cops riding together out on the Leslie St. Spit today. Protecting us from birdwatchers.

Seeing as i'm a cyclist, I have a suggestion for an idea that could beat hills (for those who absolutely dislike hauling up them), why not construct bridges to provide a smooth rideway to avoid having to go up the hill, just riding straight on until the other side as if it was a standard even roadway? Or as a simple way of describing it, a smoother, less-steeper path to get from end to end.

Cause they have one that's at queen and roncesvilles connecting to the lakeshore paths, why not have them for those BIG hills? Ideas?

wow the path looks like some 3rd world stuff, to each their own i suppose.

Back