Berczy Condos, The (Concert Properties) - Real Estate -

I am thinking of buying one of the remaining units, B9 (696 sq) specifically, at the Berczy.

Units are selling at approx. $547/psf. What do you guys think? and the layout??? Not too crazy about these units IMO.

I feel that the units and floor plans sold when Berczy just came out were definitely better than the ones that just became available.

Tks.

Last edited:
I am thinking of buying one of the remaining units, B9 (696 sq) specifically, at the Berczy.

Units are selling at approx. $547/psf. What do you guys think? and the layout??? Not too crazy about these units IMO.

I feel that the units and floor plans sold when Berczy just came out were definitely better than the ones that just became available.

Tks.

Q - why buy it if you are not satisfied with the unit layout?

$550 PSF is okay when compared to other projects in the dt core [but i think prices shouldn't be more than $400 PSF]; however, it becomes much more $$$ when there's alot of wasted space.

personally, i think B9 is horrible use of space ... long and narrow - more than 100SF is wasted with the long 32+ft corridor.

with that said, you're paying more along the line of $600-625 PSF.

Subtract the approx: 100 square feet of hallway (HOLY CRAP!) ..and now what is it costing you?

quick edit:
I see CDR,, above did the same calculation. The living space in this one is quite simply awful.

Last edited:
Went by the sales centre today before they close this weekend! Apparently all the newly redesigned one bedroom and one + dens have all sold! They are, however, still under the 10 day cooling period so who knows what will happen! I was told there are only five suites left in the whole building and construction is starting next week!

Exciting!

Purchase Advice - The Berczy

Hello everyone!

I bought a 2 bedroom (865 sq. ft.) at the berczy and I am starting to get a bit of buyers remorse. Not because of the location or building but because of my future view. I was lucky enough that one of the current construction workers took a picture from the area where my unit will be situated and facing (the existing 6 story brick building West/North corner office and facing WEST).

I bought the unit for $566 sq. ft. (not including the parking and locker I also bought). What are everyone's thoughts on the resale value when completed? Will the view really hurt the property?

Your thoughts are appreciated. I am overall very excited about the building and my new home, just the view is really nagging me now.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Screen shot 2011-04-01 at 7.56.25 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-04-01 at 7.56.25 PM.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 308
I don't know - views in the downtown core are generally temporary in the best of cases, unless you're on a very high floor. The Berczy has, in my opinion, the best location of any new condo project in the city. Your layout looks pretty great, too.

I was told years ago by one of the top realtors that"all views in Downtown eventually disappear". That said, one can try and choose locations where there are buildings in front of you that are unlikely to be torn down (newer or larger and more expensive buildings making other properties more desirable to redevelop).
No question Matt in a down market, no view or an ugly view will hurt value and make it more difficult to sell. On the other hand, a good view will command a premium.

To me, your unit has more to do with location however than view. You will get some sun as the buildings beside you are not that high. Also, given your price point in todays market I think you are OK given that new product has escalated I believe since you bought. That said, if you were 3 stories higher, and had the same condo, I believe the differential now would be at least 10% for a better view. However, this is hindsite.

To my eyes, the view is not that bad but I would be less than sincere to say it is a "nice view". I would walk in as a purchaser and probably discount it somewhat for looking at an old building but as I said, I would be buying there for location. And I would hazard a guess that if that view is to change, something taller will be put there and there will be virtually no view

I believe the question you need to answer is: If I bought to live in it, can I live with the view. If the answer is yes, then fine. If you really are upset, then consider an assignment if you can but you need to appreciate that while I personally feel prices have peaked (but I have felt this way for almost 2 years and believe they will revisit 2009 lows i.e. down 10-15%), if I am wrong, you may have to pay more to get comparable. It really boils down to weighing the pros and cons and deciding what you truly wish.

Someone buying in Berkzy is really not buying for the view. It's the location and the finishes. Good view is a bonus. Now, if you're in a 45 storey tower, the view is far more important. Like, I don't think people bought in East Lofts or the loft next door for the views.

You really can't expect to have a great view in a 10 storey boutique building in downtown Toronto. It's not practical. If you do have a good one, it will be gone soon anyways.

Thanks DanTheMan for your thoughts. I am feeling better about the view. You are right around the South side, I made sure to stay away from that view. I did have the option to be facing east on the 3rd floor but I felt it would not be very private (low to the street and directly facing the Second Cup building) and I did not have a balcony on the 3rd.

Looking forward to moving in! Hopefully next year ;)

Delay?

Hi Everyone! When do you think this building will be ready for owners? Last time I checked Aug. 2012 was the date. The building is 3 levels below grade and 13 stories above. Remember it's a gold LEED building, so green roofs, rain water collection, etc.

I am guessing the will be moving the 3rd floor in around March 2013. Thoughts?

Back