News   Apr 23, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 941     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 504     0 

Bayview/Sheppard (NY Towers)

Last time we drove to IKEA, it took 10 minutes to get from just Burbank to Provost. Sheppard has the 401 but you have to get *to* the 401. Sheppard has bad traffic...this is a statement of fact and it's one reason why the subway was built.

When I bought in the area, I was really concerned about traffic, but there is no way in hell that it takes 15 minutes to get from Bayview to Leslie. I drive regularly from where I live back to Scarborough to visit friends, and door to door, it takes 20 minutes. the route I take is going onto Sheppard Westbound, and then turning on Bayview southbound to get onto the 401. I have experienced that it is 20 minutes door to door on a regular day, 15 minutes on a good day, and 30 minutes on a bad day/during rush hour. I do this almost every day.

On a bad day/time, it may take 10 minutes to turn left from Sheppard Westbound onto Bayview Southbound. I have experienced this first hand. However, in most instances, it takes less than 5 minutes if even that.

As for Sheppard having bad traffic. Yes, I wouldn't deny that it does, at least westbound. But for most of the time, going eastbound is actually really good. Also, if your argument was that "the Sheppard subway was built because traffic on Sheppard is really bad", then what does that say about Yonge and Sheppard? It's at the junction of both of these subway lines.

Again, I understand and respect the fact that you adore Yonge/Sheppard and dislike Bayview/Sheppard, but I believe that both have its pros/cons and good qualities/deficiencies. I haven't done actual scientific research, but I suspect that the profiles and demographics of people living in these two neighbourhoods differ significantly, despite the fact that they are only one street away from each other. I expected differing opinions when I started this thread (and I welcome them too), but the least that I ask for is a civil discussion and not responses with condescending or demeaning language.

Rockefeller

From what I see of the NY Towers, I like the Rockefeller the best. Maybe it's the darker colour or design. In my opinion though when I look at the rest of the NY Towers, I think the tops are the only thing that differentiates them for the theme of NY Towers. If you minus the tops, I don't think the white/greyish towers are really that pretty looking in design from afar. They look actually old, but the surrounding area makes the area unique in it's own way.

You mentioned schools. I'm not sure where your area is mapped into. But the two highs schools that are relatively close to your area (York Mills C.I. and Earl Heig Secondary School (I can't spell this word)) are considred some of the best public secondary schools in Toronto. The junior high schools and elementary schools that feeds them are also very well run as well. York Mills is fed by Windfields Jr. H and St. Andrews. Earl Heig is fed by St. Andrews and another school.

Denlow Elementary (which is probably too far from where you live to send your kids there, but you can always double check), which feeds Windfields and St. Andrew's was considered the best elementary school in Toronto.

FYI, these towers are in a different school district due to overcrowding, i.e. kids are bused out for school.

When I bought in the area, I was really concerned about traffic, but there is no way in hell that it takes 15 minutes to get from Bayview to Leslie. I drive regularly from where I live back to Scarborough to visit friends, and door to door, it takes 20 minutes. the route I take is going onto Sheppard Westbound, and then turning on Bayview southbound to get onto the 401. I have experienced that it is 20 minutes door to door on a regular day, 15 minutes on a good day, and 30 minutes on a bad day/during rush hour. I do this almost every day.

On a bad day/time, it may take 10 minutes to turn left from Sheppard Westbound onto Bayview Southbound. I have experienced this first hand. However, in most instances, it takes less than 5 minutes if even that.

As for Sheppard having bad traffic. Yes, I wouldn't deny that it does, at least westbound. But for most of the time, going eastbound is actually really good. Also, if your argument was that "the Sheppard subway was built because traffic on Sheppard is really bad", then what does that say about Yonge and Sheppard? It's at the junction of both of these subway lines.

Again, I understand and respect the fact that you adore Yonge/Sheppard and dislike Bayview/Sheppard, but I believe that both have its pros/cons and good qualities/deficiencies. I haven't done actual scientific research, but I suspect that the profiles and demographics of people living in these two neighbourhoods differ significantly, despite the fact that they are only one street away from each other. I expected differing opinions when I started this thread (and I welcome them too), but the least that I ask for is a civil discussion and not responses with condescending or demeaning language.

I understand that you're defensive about the area to the point of hostility, but, again, try reading posts before replying and stop intentionally misquoting me to fan the flames...civil discussion can't begin until that happens. I said it sometimes takes 15 minutes, not that it always does...bad traffic means unreliable travel times. You changed what I said about the subway (bad traffic on Sheppard meant the 85 was a disaster). You also know that I said 'if I was buying a condo on the subway, and I wanted a more urban area, I'd pick Yonge.' I did not say I disliked Bayview & Sheppard, I said it's overrated, yet improving. I don't care where you live.

thanks for pointing.

Where are the kids going to so?

According to the TDSB website, they're going to Crestview, near Don Mills & Finch, followed by Woodbine Junior High and then Vanier, in the Peanut. People in houses get the local priority.

You mentioned schools. I'm not sure where your area is mapped into. But the two highs schools that are relatively close to your area (York Mills C.I. and Earl Heig Secondary School (I can't spell this word)) are considred some of the best public secondary schools in Toronto. The junior high schools and elementary schools that feeds them are also very well run as well. York Mills is fed by Windfields Jr. H and St. Andrews. Earl Heig is fed by St. Andrews and another school.
Earl HAIG (my alma mater, and a rather easy name to google) is indeed an excellent school, but as others have pointed out, anyone living in buildings of more than 4 units (ie, townhouses and condos) built after 2000 are not eligible to attend, and these include the NY Towers. Kids from these will go to Georges Vanier, which is not a bad school by any means.
Unless, that is, if your kids are artsy and apply to enrol in Claude Watson, which is hosted at EHSS.

RE St. Andrews and Earl Haig: Never realized that St. Andrews fed into Earl Haig, since St. Andrews is a 7-9 school and usually these schools feed into 10-12 high schools (e.g. York Mills and A.Y. Jackson - I believe North York is one of the only areas in Ontario with 10-12 high schools). Earl Haig is a 9-12 high school and is fed from middle schools (I believe the schools include Bayview MS, Willowdale MS and Cummer Valley MS (which I went for one year)).

I guess for Catholic schools, it'd be St. Gabriel's for elementary, but I don't know if condo-related busing is happening there. There aren't any co-ed high schools nearby...lots of kids end up in the public high schools rather than Brebeuf or Loretto Abbey or St. Joe's (but I don't know where this school will end up since Morrow Park was sold) or Cardinal Carter (the arts HS). I think Catholic kids are shuffled off to Marshall McLuhan, which is rather far away.

It always seems like a fair number of kids are able to get around these sorts of boundaries, though...maybe they have parents teaching there, or siblings already attending, or maybe they bribe somebody at the school board, or whatever.

I heard that some people are complaining about the busing of kids to faraway schools.

Mostly, what I remember about my high school - York Mills - was the practical modernity and sensible layout of the building ( it was designed by Peter Dickinson ) and how happy I was to escape from Willowdale and get downtown to art school, in 1971.

Mostly, what I remember about my high school - York Mills - was the practical modernity and sensible layout of the building ( it was designed by Peter Dickinson ) and how happy I was to escape from Willowdale and get downtown to art school, in 1971.

Mostly, what I remember about my high school - York Mills - was that the school seemed like it's been designed in pieces and patched together without any consideration of other parts of that same building, which directly resulted in overcrowding in some hallways and almost pure desertion in other parts.

Maybe the school was expanded upon since your days?

RE St. Andrews and Earl Haig: Never realized that St. Andrews fed into Earl Haig, since St. Andrews is a 7-9 school and usually these schools feed into 10-12 high schools (e.g. York Mills and A.Y. Jackson - I believe North York is one of the only areas in Ontario with 10-12 high schools). Earl Haig is a 9-12 high school and is fed from middle schools (I believe the schools include Bayview MS, Willowdale MS and Cummer Valley MS (which I went for one year)).

I thought it did. But you may be right. I've been out of JH to remember this correctly.

But I can't believe both Windfields and St. Andrews fed into only one school. But maybe that explained the overcrowding in York Mills. Because I think there was a third JH school that also had York Mills C.I. as an option.

Mostly, what I remember about my high school - York Mills - was that the school seemed like it's been designed in pieces and patched together without any consideration of other parts of that same building, which directly resulted in overcrowding in some hallways and almost pure desertion in other parts.

Maybe the school was expanded upon since your days?

Maybe. I haven't set foot inside the place since the early '70s. It certainly wasn't overcrowded then and the design seemed to have an almost ruthless logic when I trudged the halls in despair - the library was a nice little oasis.

Back