News   Aug 22, 2019
 544     0 
News   Aug 22, 2019
 1.1K     5 
News   Aug 22, 2019
 1.1K     2 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Went by yesterday and this fella is indeed a brute... massive and built right to the sidewalk. Gonna be impactful at street level when completed.

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
You were there for the whole night?

Geez Cal... your social life is in the crapper. BTW, if Ms. Avatar is just an employee now... I know someone very close to me who'd love to give her a call. ;-)

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
I got more info from my friend today

- Fins are gone
- B.A will look basically like FCP but entirely glass
- One mechanical floor has been turned into office space, bringing the tower up to 51 storeys, but no increase in height.
- Construction is currently right on schedule despite delays last week. (One floor per week)

caltrane74

Member Bio
Reaction score
The reason for the delay in the concrete corm work last week seems obvious. They may have miscalculated the timeframe/equipment/or manpower required to assemble the load bearing steel columns.

Redroom Studios

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ hey, hey! its poking its head up above the surrounding low rise stuff.

regretable though that its losing the minor architectural details it originally had. I predict completion of this building on "boxing" day :p

DaninToronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
If the gained a office floor at the expense of mechanical I assume they converted the area for the fins into a new mechanical area.

I wonder how much of the tower is now preleased?

khristopher

Member Bio
Reaction score
If the fins are really going to be gone, that is a major disappointment for me. That was my favourite part of it. Why are they getting rid of them? That's cheaping out.

caltrane74

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was just thinking about a discussion we had earlier within this thread regarding a second crane..

Is it possible that when more of the steel framework is assembled we will see a second crane attached to the exterior framework to assist in the installation of the structural steel?

AndreaPalladio

Member Bio
Reaction score
No. A building frame isn't engineered for that sort of use. Besides, it would have to be the third crane, the smaller second crane having been in use for some months now.

whatever

Member Bio
Reaction score
Actually, you're wrong. It's a fairly common practice to create an auxillary crane by bolting a boom to the side of a column (basically using the column as a mast). Such a crane is known as a Chicago crane, or sometimes a Chicago boom. Of course it needs to be approved by an engineer first, but it's nothing out of the ordinary to see one in use.