News   Apr 18, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I got more info from my friend today

- Fins are gone
- B.A will look basically like FCP but entirely glass
- One mechanical floor has been turned into office space, bringing the tower up to 51 storeys, but no increase in height.
- Construction is currently right on schedule despite delays last week. (One floor per week)

The reason for the delay in the concrete corm work last week seems obvious. They may have miscalculated the timeframe/equipment/or manpower required to assemble the load bearing steel columns.

^^^^^^^ hey, hey! its poking its head up above the surrounding low rise stuff.

regretable though that its losing the minor architectural details it originally had. I predict completion of this building on "boxing" day :p

If the gained a office floor at the expense of mechanical I assume they converted the area for the fins into a new mechanical area.

I wonder how much of the tower is now preleased?

If the fins are really going to be gone, that is a major disappointment for me. That was my favourite part of it. Why are they getting rid of them? That's cheaping out.

I was just thinking about a discussion we had earlier within this thread regarding a second crane..

Is it possible that when more of the steel framework is assembled we will see a second crane attached to the exterior framework to assist in the installation of the structural steel?

No. A building frame isn't engineered for that sort of use. Besides, it would have to be the third crane, the smaller second crane having been in use for some months now.

Actually, you're wrong. It's a fairly common practice to create an auxillary crane by bolting a boom to the side of a column (basically using the column as a mast). Such a crane is known as a Chicago crane, or sometimes a Chicago boom. Of course it needs to be approved by an engineer first, but it's nothing out of the ordinary to see one in use.

Back