News   Jul 12, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 255     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Or it reflects the extreme degree of parsimony that city politicians acquire when wanting to get elected or re-elected.

A good looking streetscape is somehow considered a luxury not worthy of spending money on. We'll travel to certain European cities to see it, but avoid pursuing it here.

Again, you guys are whining over stupid shit. - There is nothing wrong with the overhead wires on Queen Street or Dundas for that matter. Also, it doesn't make us a 3rd world city, or give us a 3rd world mentality. Why does everyone here feel the need to be so pompus?

BTW:

When you go to a polluted stream looking for water to keep you alive, that's a third world mentality.

I'm pretty sure the general public or anyone with any real sense of what makes a city "world class" or 3rd world, would not be looking at overhead wires as a criteria unless it in some way caused problems for the city's functionality, or beauty, and there are lot of other less beautiful things in a city that are worth spending the cash on first. (like a proper transit system)

Again, you guys are whining over stupid shit. - There is nothing wrong with the overhead wires on Queen Street or Dundas for that matter. Also, it doesn't make us a 3rd world city, or give us a 3rd world mentality. Why does everyone here feel the need to be so pompus?

Well, there's nothing wrong for you, but some of us have a different opinion on the matter. I find it sad that we tolerate tilting utility poles covered in tape and masses of wires and transformers that make our streetscape look like the dawn of electrification.

No one is whining. And how is anyone being pompous?

I'm not sure about your final point.

BTW:

When you go to a polluted stream looking for water to keep you alive, that's a third world mentality.

Buddy, im just saying into todays day and age there are better and safer ways to hide electrical wires and transformers if this city really wanted to.

Do you really think this looks nice and safe when you have 12000 volt. /1000 kilo transformers 20 feet overtop pedestrians.I guess they need the poles to secure the security cameras.
20080501_003061.jpg

An uncle of mine from Austria visited us here back in 1982 and one of the things that struck him almost immediately was the presence of our hydro poles. He stared at them in disbelief, shocked that a wealthy city like Toronto would still have something like that.

And that was 26 years ago and nothing has changed still! It makes me sick. I'll be 99 years old complaining on my death bed that they haven't gotten rid of those hideous hydro poles yet...

I don't mind the wires in certain spots (they look great at Queen & Spadina) but I would have to agree there are better, safer places to put them now.

An uncle of mine from Austria visited us here back in 1982 and one of the things that struck him almost immediately was the presence of our hydro poles. He stared at them in disbelief, shocked that a wealthy city like Toronto would still have something like that.

And that was 26 years ago and nothing has changed still! It makes me sick. I'll be 99 years old complaining on my death bed that they haven't gotten rid of those hideous hydro poles yet...

Maybe in 20-30 years when they finally decide to rip out the old wires,they might be able to re-use them and electrify our train corridors,sell the existing diesal driven clunkers to India or Pakistan and use that money to buy a bunch of 20 year old eastern european electric trains.

I never notice hydro poles. The only time I even remember they exist is when people start complaining about them on the forum.

Ditto.

The city has removed them in some places - like Dundas Street in the Junction. Looks great - they should do the same along other major avenues and boulevards.

Back