News   Jul 12, 2024
 496     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 507     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 274     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I'd rather the city pay for more important improvements, such as transit, affordable housing, waterfront parks, waste-water facilities and the likes. The poles are an eyesore in places and perhaps their removal can be outsourced to developers as a beautification agreement in the contract to develop certain nodes.

One advantage of getting rid of the poles, especially for the main streets, is that if there is ever an ice-storm here, the recovery time would be better. In some of the few parts of downtown Montreal that had underground wiring (which I think dated from the 1960s), power recovered within days, rather than the couple of weeks it took a lot of the city to come back on.

I never notice hydro poles. The only time I even remember they exist is when people start complaining about them on the forum.

Kind of like the college roommate that gets so accustomed to the mess in his room that he doesn't realize how dirty it is until his other roommate sits him down and tells it like it is.

So the typical Toronto politician is this guy?

050816_animalhouse_vlg_3p.widec.jpg

Oh we're soooooooooooo rich..Why do we have overhead electric wires???

That doesn't sound pompus to you Hydrogen?

Wanting to see this stuff put underground is pompous? After how many decades?

What strikes me as dumb is when there is a major road rehabilitation, and along comes the choice to not to put utilities underground because it saves some money. Strikes me as a waste of effort, or a job half done. It also ensures that nothing will be done for another twenty years.

I lived in Ottawa a long time and the debate about utility poles and overhead wiring was brought back to life right after the ice storm. Overhead wires and transformers were most vulnerable to the effects of ice and falling trees. Like here, the solution in that city was to slowly bury the infrastructure. In the meantime, great effort was put into butchering trees so that they would not present a risk to overhead wiring.

Wanting to see this stuff put underground is pompous? After how many decades?

What strikes me as dumb is when there is a major road rehabilitation, and along comes the choice to not to put utilities underground because it saves some money. Strikes me as a waste of effort, or a job half done. It also ensures that nothing will be done for another twenty years.

I lived in Ottawa a long time and the debate about utility poles and overhead wiring was brought back to life right after the ice storm. Overhead wires and transformers were most vulnerable to the effects of ice and falling trees. Like here, the solution in that city was to slowly bury the infrastructure. In the meantime, great effort was put into butchering trees so that they would not present a risk to overhead wiring.

You are not reading me right. - I am saying, just because we have overhead wires doesn't make us 3rd world, or mean we have a 3rd world mentality. - If overhead wires were causing serious death and injury to pedestrians or property in Toronto then they would have been buried years ago. People in the 3rd world have real issues to deal with and comparing Toronto to these countries with people in need of food, water or half decent health care is pompous!

Funny you say that, because up-close and in-person, Commerce Court could give FCP a challange for dirtiest Toronto Skyscraper. Next to the glemming glass on Bay Adelaide it shows it age.....

You are not reading me right. - I am saying, just because we have overhead wires doesn't make us 3rd world, or mean we have a 3rd world mentality. - If overhead wires were causing serious death and injury to pedestrians or property in Toronto then they would have been buried years ago. People in the 3rd world have real issues to deal with and comparing Toronto to these countries with people in need of food, water or half decent health care is pompous!

Hey i know where your coming from, naturaly we are not a 3rd world country.But all these politicians could do better for Toronto rather than talk about how broke we are.Whose to say that these 25 year old transformers full of PCBs are not causing health problems to the people of Toronto that live by them.Every time that there is a major thunderstorm 2-3 of them are blowing out around Toronto,every time that they replace a street with new poles they are adding poles treated with copper chromium arsenate. Mayor Miller and his gang dont want to open a can of worms by addressing this issue.Its a lot easier to talk about dismantling 2km of the Gardiner.

I said nothing about overhead wires making us "third world." I said is looks ugly and the reason why it has not been done over the course of decades is because the political will is all too often dictated by trying to look cheap.
A less wealthy city like Montreal has managed to put more of this stuff underground.

Back