News   Jul 17, 2024
 271     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 804     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 637     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

April 8, 2008

DSC03104.jpg

DSC03131.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

DSC03140.jpg

DSC03144.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

DSC03148-1.jpg

^Not quite. I was on the top level of the Green P lot between Duncan and Simcoe. I just stuck out my arm and took a whole bunch of shots hoping that at least one would turn out ok.

Some of those shots really show how sweet the glass cladding will be...

(18 years for a "real" office tower. - If they had been going up maybe, one a year, I'm sure I wouldn't care about this one. ..So this remains very exciting for me to watch)

Yep. Am I the only one that finds this cladding boring? RBC looks so much better....

I too fear that this will end up being just a big grey box. Once finished though, it will probably just blend into the background.

When one thinks of the vision and daring of both the developer and architect with regards to the TD Centre, one can only lament the lack of creative drive on this bland project.

You can't blame everything on the developer. They had a more interesting proposal if you remember. But the city was concerned about shadowing at NPS.

Anyways..

I like the cladding, it is unique for Toronto, with regards to it's colour and reflective type glass, then you add in the size of the project and it's coming twin tower and you have a winning combination.

I too fear that this will end up being just a big grey box. Once finished though, it will probably just blend into the background.

When one thinks of the vision and daring of both the developer and architect with regards to the TD Centre, one can only lament the lack of creative drive on this bland project.

While I am not a huge fan of this project's architecture, I am started to allow myself some small amount of hope that the cladding will be a bit more interesting than what I have been expecting. There seems to be a particular balance of reflectivity and transparency to these windows that we haven't seen in this city before: at least certainly not at this scale.

That said, RBC still looks better to me, but both projects have a long way to go before we'll see their ultimate effect on both their immediate surroundings and the skyline at large.

You can't blame everything on the developer. They had a more interesting proposal if you remember. But the city was concerned about shadowing at NPS.

That leaves only 99% of the blame at the developers (and the major lessees) feet then: the City may restrict the development to a particular envelope, but the developer has nearly carte blanche within that envelope.

Yes, but with the restriction on hieght, the developer has to consider the motivation for building the tower. (which is profit) To get the same sq footage into that space now you are almost forced to go with the most basic design.

Edit: Give Brookfield credit. They wanted to us a real show stopping Manhattan style skyscraper. ( Like the one they are planning on the railway lands in Manhattan)

But our city elders gave their plan the boot.

Back