News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I disagree with the argument that it is purely economics. For me, it has a lot to do with Canadian conservatism and our ongoing lust to not stick out in a crowd- if you keep your head down and blend into background you are less likely to be noticed- in other words, stick to the status-quo and you will avoid any negative and conversely positive situations.

I have nothing against the project, but in Toronto when discussing architecture, there is a lot to be desired. Yes, things are looking up in this city. It does however, seem to me that we often fall back on the excuse that economics are responsible for design blunders. While it is a factor, I just think that architects in Canada are not versed in having to push the creativity or imagination envelope.

The select group of architects, who are doing the most building, especially in Toronto, have developed a system where they have removed any factor of risk-taking. Essentially, they have a catalogue of existing or pre-designed buildings which they ultimately combine and match into a final product and then add a unique element to make it different for the client. You need look no further than D&S, aA, KPMB or B&H as well as WZMH - they all do it.

Naturally, the client is also responsible for design decisions as well, but essentially most clients have bought or will buy into the conservative system and hell, it works, its on budget and it gets them a decent product. No need to re-invent the wheel right?

p5

next tier of steel frame columns being installed on Bay Adelaide Centre

bayadejan08ge3.jpg

Caltrane, I've often wondered if you like this project so much because being a Hamiltonian, you like when the workers there get some Steel jobs?

Im from Toronto... I just spent a lot of time in Hamilton in my youth.

I lived down the street from Micheal Lee Chin during my summers as a kid in the 1980's. - (Lloydmin and Lovers Lane in Ancaster) I have a lot of family and friends in Hamilton of course.

But I'm a Torontoian!!!

---

I like Bay Adelaide because it's big and tall!!!

I passed by this afternoon- there was some action, but oddly enough, and I am not kidding, most of the construction guys were from the BA centre, chatting with two guys from the Trump site. It really doesn't look like they are doing much to the actual site, but maybe they need to prepare the surroundings first?

p5

just a thought, but with a recession most likely hitting the US now, and in turn the expected slow down here, could this project be in trouble yet again? This project seems to have pretty poor timing again it seems.

I don't think so. It's (BAC) already over 50% preleased. And the US economy is probably poised for a "mild" recession, in the worse case scenerio. "If" it (the recession) spills across the border, the manufacturing industry will likely be hardest hit, (due to the Canadian Dollar situation and weak US consumer demand) and not the financial services and related industries, which this building seems to be "banking" on, or "accounting" depending on how you want to look at it.

went by BA tonight at about 10pm...simply amazing, this project just impresses by its sheer size...saw at least 2 photographers taking pics, including one with a tripod on Adelaide...was that anyone from UT? :)

It's odd that you only ever see 2 guys lounging around on the Trump site... when I go past the site it is a fairly chaotic dance between men and machines.

Yeah, but that is because they are being borrowed from BA to make it look as though stuff is happening. Its a conspiracy don't you see??

pfive

Back