News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

CN can operate to Barrie if they wanted to. Their agreements with Metrolinx allow it.

But they may have found it easier - or cheaper - to simply tell Cando to "send it via CP" than to operate up to Barrie themselves.

Dan
Could they transfer it to CP then?

Which "they" and transfer what? Barrie selling/leasing the line to CP? They wouldn't be interested. CN transferring the traffic to CP? Why would they come all the way up to Barrie simply to be a switching service to another carrier?

Could CN sell the ROW to CP, and then CP owns it?

Then maybe CP can operate it. It seems it is more their area.

As highlighted many times in many threads, neither CN or CP are interested in anything that isn't mainline or high volume. Both have walked away from hundreds of miles of branchlines in the prairies, several of which are being successfully operated as shortlines. I can't imagine why they would be interested in owning and operating the infrastructure for ~150 carloads/year. As indicated earlier, they don't even seem to be interested in switching for it.

As highlighted many times in many threads, neither CN or CP are interested in anything that isn't mainline or high volume. Both have walked away from hundreds of miles of branchlines in the prairies, several of which are being successfully operated as shortlines. I can't imagine why they would be interested in owning and operating the infrastructure for ~150 carloads/year. As indicated earlier, they don't even seem to be interested in switching for it.

Yet CN has taken back control of some branch line segments in Southern Ontario: the Guelph Sub and Thorndale Sub between Kitchener and London, and most of the Hagersville Sub between Jarvis and Brantford (leaving the switching in Nanticoke to a short line operator).

CN seems happy enough servicing the few industries on the GO Newmarket - its an easy run out of MacMillian Yard, but I doubt they’ll want to extend that north of Bradford.

Yet CN has taken back control of some branch line segments in Southern Ontario: the Guelph Sub and Thorndale Sub between Kitchener and London, and most of the Hagersville Sub between Jarvis and Brantford (leaving the switching in Nanticoke to a short line operator).

CN seems happy enough servicing the few industries on the GO Newmarket - its an easy run out of MacMillian Yard, but I doubt they’ll want to extend that north of Bradford.

Fair point. They have also 'taken-back-to-abandon', such as the Ottawa Central (former Beachburg sub).

A suggestion of CN servicing Barrie seems to be a whole lot closer to reality than CP since it would be an extension of a service already in place.

Edit: Additional comment. Anybody, particularly the Class 1 carriers, might consider operating or servicing it if they see there is money in it. They aren't a community service.

Last edited:
Its Not so Bad, because the trackage on the Newmarket sub is High class trackage in good condition so they could run 60-45mph and it wouldn't be so bad at all. If CN could attract more business in Barrie to be more interested, they may take over operations in Barrie.

Fair point. They have also 'taken-back-to-abandon', such as the Ottawa Central (former Beachburg sub).

A suggestion of CN servicing Barrie seems to be a whole lot closer to reality than CP since it would be an extension of a service already in place.

Edit: Additional comment. Anybody, particularly the Class 1 carriers, might consider operating or servicing it if they see there is money in it. They aren't a community service.
The Only reason CN did that deal with the Quebec Shortline Rail Company was so CN could have the other lines in Quebec and New Brunswick cause of a traffic increase, CN didnt want the Beachburg sub in the first place, The only reason they got it was because it was part of the deal.

Its Not so Bad, because the trackage on the Newmarket sub is High class trackage in good condition so they could run 60-45mph and it wouldn't be so bad at all. If CN could attract more business in Barrie to be more interested, they may take over operations in Barrie.

This is really all the more reason why BCRY should be the one going down the Newmarket Sub. There isn't enough short term prospective traffic for CN to be interested and they wouldn't be able to provide the flexible on demand service BCRY is capable of doing since they wouldn't be basing a job at Barrie. Also, going to CN wouldn't save the city any money. It would just be going from one contractor to another. If Cando decides to leave, there are plenty of other operators to choose from.

The Only reason CN did that deal with the Quebec Shortline Rail Company was so CN could have the other lines in Quebec and New Brunswick cause of a traffic increase, CN didnt want the Beachburg sub in the first place, The only reason they got it was because it was part of the deal.

With respect to the Quebec Railway Corp, CN acquired the assets because the company was failing and they got them for cheap. Ultimately, they kept what was deemed useful. In the grand scheme of things, CP was really the one responsible for sinking the Beachburg Sub. There wasn't a point in keeping the line to Pembroke if you didn't have an interchange out there given how much on-line industry fell off.

Last edited:
It's only 5 kms from the tracks at Stayner to the water, and nice level road for cycling or walking.

At least twice that to the main beach though, and the westernmost beach area is about 2 km from Highway 26. I live right by 26 in the west end of Wasaga.

Recently Saw something I thought I would share
https://bchry.weebly.com/

They want to preserve the line to run passenger trains, not sure if this is legit.

There is very little info; just a website. It is not apparent if they is a he, a she or a they. Other than the proposal, there is no plan, financials (even soliciting donations). I'm not completely clear on how to read source coding but it looks like it was created in 1999.

Keeping the Meaford sub through Collingwood would have impaired their ability to redevelop the waterfront

What is now the South Simcoe Railway had, at the time, three choices for their tourist line. Of course, the current route, Beeton-Tottenham was one. They also had the option of running Cataract-Elora or Collingwood-Meaford. I can't remember why they chose their current line, but I really feel that Collingwood-Meaford would have been the best route. It would have had a terminus in a sizeable town, it would have had a scenic route along the shore of Georgian Bay and most of all, it would have likely put significant pressure on Collingwood to keep their section of the BCRY.

Oh well, I guess we can settle for eventual GO service. Collingwood is a growing town and they can't keep expanding highway 26 forever.

What is now the SSR had a few designs on a route, including part of what is now the Caledon Trailway through Caledon through Terra Cotta and Cheltenham (they ended up on a different section of the old CN Beeton Sub). But they never had their pick of routes, and had to settle on what they could get.

Most of the old Meaford Sub has better views of traffic on Highway 26 than Georgian Bay anyway.

Back