News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 995     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

Ya, most of the BCRY track is useless. There isn't much transit value to it and transload would work better. People often say that there is value in the tracks from Allendale to Utopia, but if we are being honest, there will never be a passenger train the goes past Allendale station. Service extension to Collingwood is just no longer a possibility. But I guess when the city finally realizes their billboard plan isn't going to be viable, especially since the BCRY just lost a customer, this will all unfold.

You know all of those cars jammed on the 400 that then jam up highway 26? Those people might switch to GO if it were available. That means summer travel to Wasaga Beach or winter travel to Collingwood.

I don't know enough about the industry to know whether transloading at Utopia would be financially feasible. The cost of specialized facilities and extra handling to the customers might be more than simply keeping it on trucks. One of the customers (Comet Chemical) is a chemical company and regulatory issues might preclude transload. Each customer has their own on-site loading/unloading facilities particular to their product. Expecting somebody (who? The City?) to replicate each of that would seem to make little sense.

Edit: Correction for clarity.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about the industry to know whether transloading at Utopia would be financially feasible. The cost of specialized facilities and extra handling to the customers might be more than simply keeping it on trucks. One of the customers (Comet Chemical) is a chemical company and regulatory issues might preclude transload. Each customer has their own on-site loading/unloading facilities particular to their product. Expecting somebody (who? The City?) to replicate each of that would seem to make sense.

And that would make financial sense?

You know all of those cars jammed on the 400 that then jam up highway 26? Those people might switch to GO if it were available. That means summer travel to Wasaga Beach or winter travel to Collingwood.

I'm definitely one of them. I'd much rather take a train than put up with that insanity. Our priorities here are out of whack.

Guys we gotta live with it, the Rail line will be abandoned in a year or so. There is just no way we can make this profitable, it will be to hard to attract customers. Most of the industries here benefit from truck more then rail. All issues related to $$$, Useing a free to use highway and roads are cheaper then paying hundreds of thousands of dollars just to keep a railway that isn't profitable open for service.

The truth is Railways are only profitable and faster then trucks if on longer distances or have more loads. Carrying 2 railcars at 10mph is just not the way to o it, I bet like 5 trucks can get to the industries faster then the railroad by like 20 mins

Guys we gotta live with it, the Rail line will be abandoned in a year or so. There is just no way we can make this profitable, it will be to hard to attract customers. Most of the industries here benefit from truck more then rail. All issues related to $$$, Useing a free to use highway and roads are cheaper then paying hundreds of thousands of dollars just to keep a railway that isn't profitable open for service.

The truth is Railways are only profitable and faster then trucks if on longer distances or have more loads. Carrying 2 railcars at 10mph is just not the way to o it, I bet like 5 trucks can get to the industries faster then the railroad by like 20 mins

Some stuff is better to haul by rail. Hazardous chemicals are safer to haul buy train. Also, depending on the chemicals, they may use so much that 1 railcar a week of it is fine, but that would mean 1 truck a day or more. They migh not be able to handle that truck traffic on site.

Some stuff is better to haul by rail. Hazardous chemicals are safer to haul buy train. Also, depending on the chemicals, they may use so much that 1 railcar a week of it is fine, but that would mean 1 truck a day or more. They migh not be able to handle that truck traffic on site.
really? on 120 year old rail, Dunlop has been recently paved id say the roads are safer, Lol 1 rail car a week is not fine, trains were designed to haul massive loads, the railroad is useless, only 2 railcars on average. If CN wanted to abandon this in the 90's you can tell that it wasn't profitable.

also explain why the majority of the customers near the rails are using trucks or have switched to trucks? Its cheaper and more efficient for the business. Companys want to save money, not pay more for rail service, Rail service only works for customers needing tons of railcars or lines with plenty of customers, It is unlikely this railroad will survive. However I have heard something from a PNR guy, he says there is a chance CN could operated on the newmarket sub up to bradford and even Barrie to bring railcars to BCRY, this is something that would solve the CP issues, and yes CN would come up on midnights, also CN has operating rights for the newmarket sub and the BCRY lines aswell, CN also might be operating the freight for Barrie, with a Gp9 rm (after if cando leaves)
1603809039377.png

This would bring so many memories from the 90's when cn did local freight with a caboose

Last edited:
really? on 120 year old rail, Dunlop has been recently paved id say the roads are safer, Lol 1 rail car a week is not fine, trains were designed to haul massive loads, the railroad is useless, only 2 railcars on average. If CN wanted to abandon this in the 90's you can tell that it wasn't profitable.

also explain why the majority of the customers near the rails are using trucks or have switched to trucks? Its cheaper and more efficient for the business. Companys want to save money, not pay more for rail service, Rail service only works for customers needing tons of railcars or lines with plenty of customers, It is unlikely this railroad will survive. However I have heard something from a PNR guy, he says there is a chance CN could operated on the newmarket sub up to bradford and even Barrie to bring railcars to BCRY, this is something that would solve the CP issues, and yes CN would come up on midnights, also CN has operating rights for the newmarket sub and the BCRY lines aswell, CN also might be operating the freight for Barrie, with a Gp9 rm (after if cando leaves)
View attachment 279205
This would bring so many memories from the 90's when cn did local freight with a caboose
It is clear you understand nothing about industrial processes.

. . . there is a chance CN could operated on the newmarket sub up to bradford and even Barrie to bring railcars to BCRY, this is something that would solve the CP issues, and yes CN would come up on midnights, also CN has operating rights for the newmarket sub and the BCRY lines aswell, CN also might be operating the freight for Barrie, with a Gp9 rm (after if cando leaves)
View attachment 279205

That would seem to be a reasonable alternative. I didn't realize CN had running rights on BCR trackage. If that were to happen, it would seem to turn the BCR into a non-operating entity (or something like that) - they would just be the property owner and eliminate the need for trackage west of the city.

Back