News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

Ive heard that BCRY might be getting another customer!!

So happy they are able to find one

Also I didn't even realize that some of their track has anchors
1602859700437.png

Last edited:
Guys why would we even want GO to go to Orillia, It wouldn't make sense, and besides, over half the people that live there are unemployed.

Well, providing better transportation options so that someone who cannot afford a car might be able to go to a bigger area without one is a good start. I would ask why would you want GO going to Niagara Falls when it is tourist trap?

Guys why would we even want GO to go to Orillia, It wouldn't make sense, and besides, over half the people that live there are unemployed.

Seeing as you are from Barrie, it seems the historic rivalry continues. What are neighbours for if not a friendly, supportive word.

Unemployment Rates
Ontario -10.5% (StatsCan Sep 2020)
Barrie - 9.4 % (StatsCan Sep 2020)
Orillia - 10.5 % (AreaScore, data u/k)

Because providing reliable public transport options is the single most effective way to lift people out of poverty.

Dude that's why we have GO Buses and greyhound
Well, there isn't a GO bus to Orillia, and Greyhound's services have been in freefall for years. I personally don't agree with extending GO rail to Orillia, but we should extend the Barrie-Orillia LINX route from Georgian College to Allandale Waterfront or the bus terminal instead of just leaving Orillia in the cold because of low northbound demand.

I get a kick out of these fantasy threads. As mentioned, to go to Orillia, most of the ROW is built over in downtown Barrie as well as the east end. To go out to the west along the current BCR it would have to go a fair distance to clear both the city and Little Lake then curve north in an area of not insignificant grade changes, all on acquired land. Using CP would be pointless since it goes in the wrong direction.

As for Collingwood, the ROW is there but not into the townsite. Any extension to Blue Mountain would have to swing off a fair bit south since the town has expanded significantly. Same for a fantasy spur to Wasaga. Again, all on acquired land.

In both cases, I'd have to be convinced there is would be a ridership for anything other than an occasional service. Would spending not unlimited public funding to benefit high end resort operators, retirees who might occasionally travel to the GTA and seasonal day trippers be a good use?

What would you see as the difference between this proposed service to Collingwood and the current service to Niagara Falls??? You say "High end resort operators" as if there are none of those located in Niagara falls.

I suspect you haven't been to Collingwood/Blue Mountain recently if at all. It is hardly a playground for the wealthy as you attempt to frame it as. If anything it is average Ontarians enjoying their province.

I can see your argument about Wasaga and the cottage owners, but even still there are a number of occasional users who might prefer to take mass transit rather than drive.

^It’s hard to imagine how a rail line that parallels a six-lane freeway that is clogged seven days a week could *not* be successful....but.....One has to analyse that volume of auto traffic to find market segments that might actually be amenable to rail competition. It’s not the slam-dunk it may appear.

I’m convinced that Niagara-style “excursion” trains to Collingwood would sell out.... on weekends. It’s a dubious business case, however, to upgrade the line to allow GO service for just those few weekend trains (although the towns in the area would likely lobby fiercely for them on the grounds of business development)

The question becomes, is there a market for weekday service and do we want to grow that market. Extending Toronto-bound commuter service to Collingwood makes little sense in that a) it’s a wasteful commute b) we aren’t eager to intensify that area and c) it will cost more to build than it will add riders/revenue to the Barrie line.

It does make sense to have a bus network that connects to GO, but again downtown Toronto may not be the most popular end point. I do think the area is ripe for investment in transit.... but treating old rail lines as the logical connectors may not be a good way to plan that.

. Paul

^It’s hard to imagine how a rail line that parallels a six-lane freeway that is clogged seven days a week could *not* be successful....but.....One has to analyse that volume of auto traffic to find market segments that might actually be amenable to rail competition. It’s not the slam-dunk it may appear.

I’m convinced that Niagara-style “excursion” trains to Collingwood would sell out.... on weekends. It’s a dubious business case, however, to upgrade the line to allow GO service for just those few weekend trains (although the towns in the area would likely lobby fiercely for them on the grounds of business development)

The question becomes, is there a market for weekday service and do we want to grow that market. Extending Toronto-bound commuter service to Collingwood makes little sense in that a) it’s a wasteful commute b) we aren’t eager to intensify that area and c) it will cost more to build than it will add riders/revenue to the Barrie line.

It does make sense to have a bus network that connects to GO, but again downtown Toronto may not be the most popular end point. I do think the area is ripe for investment in transit.... but treating old rail lines as the logical connectors may not be a good way to plan that.

. Paul

I agree with much of what you have to say above..............but I would offer the following caveats

Collingwood and Wasaga as GTA getaway spots are only going to get busier; at the minimum, I would expect growth proportionate to the population growth of the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

That being the case, we're looking at a traffic increase of 50% or so over the next 30 years, more, if the destination offer actually improves and capacity is increased.

In that context, I think we can reasonably see the market for 5 or more trains on each weekend day, plus 1-2 trains on Fridays, without being in any way optimistic or ambitious.

We certainly don't want that destination growth to gobble all the farm land or natural space that remains.

That is best addressed by expanding the Green belt to envelop the areas; as well as some expansion of the relevant provincial parks nearby.

I would then add, that we need to contemplate intermediate and/or non-GTA commuting points.

I don't foresee, nor do I desire, people routinely commuting from Wasaga/Collingwood to the GTA.

But I certainly can envision a commute to Barrie.

Providing one uses the correct rolling stock for such a trip, a 3-car emu/dmu or the like.............I think there may be a business case to be had there.

I'm not sure it would break-even, but we don't demand that of GO, of Public Transit or of Highways, so I don't think that's the fair ask.

The fair ask is a per-rider subsidy that isn't excessive when compared with its peer-group.

When I look out 20 years, I make the assumption not only of high destination/resort growth, but also Barrie being home to a substantial university; its hospital being a full-blown teaching facility and the hub for central Ontario healthcare; and a hub for a region that will also post material growth.

I don't want to overstate the case for this investment either; in as much as there are a long list of investments that are more justified; sooner, based on conditions as they are today, rather than some point in the future.

But I do think the business case for this service may well emerge in the medium term.

Back