News   Jul 31, 2024
 627     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 497     0 

Are you a road geek?

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not just a transit geek, I'm also a road geek. (Though not an extreme case of either - there are such people that collect signs, drive obscure routes, collect mileage or for that matter keep track of bus fleets down to the model, licence plate and VIN). I like going for road trips, even just to go for a road trip.

1. What does RIRO stand for? Name two examples in Ontario.
2. List two SPUIs in Ontario
3. What does the term "parclo" refer to?
4. What is the significance of the Thousand Islands Parkway? Name two previous designations of it.
5. Where is the first major section of Highway 401 built? What part of it still looks the same from when it was first built?
6. What is the first highway structure built that still is used by the 401 today?
7. Name four cloverleafs that have been removed in the GTA in the last 40 years.
8. What colour were MTO traffic lights up to 1970?
9. Name 5 highways (including suffixed routes) that were completely decommissioned and had at least a segment in the GTA.
10. What is a "Super-2" Highway? Name two Ontario examples.

Last edited:
I can only think of one SPUI in Ontario.
I have no idea about MTO traffic lights, but I'm guessing red, amber, and green. :p
I know all the rest.

So, I'd say I scored 8.5.
`

Last edited:
I know that parclo is short for partial cloverleaf, which is an interchange with 2 loops and 2 signalled/signed intersections. I believe it was "invented" by the MTO and is very common in Ontario.

what is RIRO? I have never heard of that before.

In addition to 11, another Super-2 in Ontario is 400/69 above Barrie.

Thousand Islands Parkway is recognizable for #2S, S for scenic. I thought WTF was that at first, but it came back into my mind looking back years ago during the trip to Montreal.

I know what a parclo is. Hurontario/QEW is being converted from a cloverleaf to a parclo. Southdown/QEW used to be configured differently, but I don't know how it was before, whether it was a cloverleaf or something else.

Right-in, right-out. Hwy 11 between Barrie and North Bay, and Hwy 35/115 between 401 and the 35/115 split are two examples.

No idea.

Partial cloverleaf, I think (two loop exit ramps, two high-speed exit ramps, two entrance ramps).

4. What is the significance of the Thousand Islands Parkway? Name two previous designations of it.

It used to be 401's original alignment. It used to be 401 and then 2S.

5. Where is the first major section of Highway 401 built? What part of it still looks the same from when it was first built?

Kingston Road/Hwy 2A is the first major section, I think. I'm not 100% sure but I think the section in Oshawa has been unchanged from when it was first built.

6. What is the first highway structure built that still is used by the 401 today?

Dunno. Kingston Road/401 overpass?

7. Name four cloverleafs that have been removed in the GTA in the last 40 years.

Guelph Line/QEW, Hurontario/QEW, Hurontario/401, Avenue Rd/401 (not sure about this one).

Dunno.

9. Name 5 highways (including suffixed routes) that were completely decommissioned and had at least a segment in the GTA.

Hwy 25, Hwy 11A, Hwy 47, Hwy 50, Hwy 2A.

High-speed two-lane highway? Two examples are Hwy 6 in Hamilton from 403 to Upper James, and Hwy 3 in St. Thomas.

Wait, wait, wait. I know of a second SPUI in Ontario. It's located on a Super-2.
So, I personally revise my score to 9/10.

I'm pretty damn confident, so don't want to post answers until others have had a chance to answer.

[Turn] Right [going] In, [turn] Right [going] Out. Parts of Highway 115/35; parts of Highway 11.

Single-Point Urban Interchange. Not sure where any are.

Partial Cloverleaf.

It was the original alignment of the 401. 401, also knoewn as Highway 2S for 'scenic'. I think that was after the 401 went to its final routing.

East from the Rouge Rover to Oshawa. The bit between the Rouge River and the present 401 mega-overpass is still similar to how it was built. The parts in central Oshawa still have the oringinal bridges and ramps, but the highway has been widened to six lanes and they just barely squeezed it under the bridges.

I believe it's one of the bridges under the Hoggs Hollow overpass, which was built as part of the Yonge Blvd bypass of Hoggs Hollow in the 1930s (not sure of date).

Not sure. Hwy 10/QEW?

Good question that I'm really curious about.

As far as I know, all the Kings Highways that were decommissioned in the GTA still have segments outside the GTA. (11, 5, 2, 7, 12...)

Two-lane 'freeway' with no grade crossings or signals, just interchanges. Don't know of any in Ontario.

Hwy 25, Hwy 11A, Hwy 47, Hwy 50, Hwy 2A.

And 49 (ran between Hwy 27 and Hwy 50 back in the 40s and 50s near Bolton)

Back