News   Jul 31, 2024
 595     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 670     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 513     0 

Are you a road geek?

That's interesting. That would have been the last remnant of the Whitby, Port Perry and Lindsay Railway.

There's still a crossing protected by gates and lights on Autoroute 20 near Ste-Hyacinthe, and buses are exempt from stopping there. The Sûreté du Québec has to assist any train movements.

Last edited:
Another 401 RR crossing was in Bowmanville near the Liberty St exit; it lasted until the late 70s or even the 80s before the present (and now disused) RR bridge was built across the 401...

The 406 in Welland has traffic lights. Up until recently it had 4, but an overpass was built for hwy 20 so today you just have the lights at Merritt Rd, Woodlawn Rd and where the 406 ends at Main St.

It looks like they're adding an overpass to the intersection at Merritt Rd, but to me that seems like a waste. Merritt is a rarely used road and considering you might be stopped again a km later when you get to Woodlawn it seems like you might be saving people only a few seconds.

What's interesting is that the 406 was just expanded from 4 lanes to 2 everywhere except for within Welland's city limits. Perhaps a bit of a vendetta against Wellanders for consistently voting Peter Kormos?

The other traffic light that comes to mind is in Niagara Falls where the 420 and Stanley Rd intersect. At that point the 420 becomes Roberts Rd, which might be another unique feature (a 400 series highway being known by another name, apart from the QEW obviously)

Last edited:
Here's a good one:

Where was the only place where a 400-series highway (as we know them now) crossed an electric interurban railway at grade?
Wasn't that down near Niagara Falls? ISTR reading that there was an interurban along the Canadian side until maybe the late 1940s?

Maybe we should bring it back for the tourists.

8. What colour were MTO traffic lights up to 1970?
- A dark green. Some installations lasted until the early 1990s, including Highways 10 and 5.

Interesting. That brought back a memeory of seeing them in Port Dover a long time ago.
I never noticed them on Highway 10, but I guess I didn't travel it often enough when I was a kid.

Back