News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 624     0 

Apple Store

Too bad all we got was mall stores.

Apple prepping huge Canadian flagship Apple Retail Store for Montreal
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 02:12 PM EDT

"Apple Inc. is finalizing plans for its first Canadian flagship shop, a spacious multi-story retail outlet to be located in the heart of Montreal, a source tells AppleInsider," Kasper Jade reports for AppleInsider.

Apple "is reported to have secured some 9,300 square feet of space along the 1300 block of Rue Ste-Catherine Ouest, where it plans to heavily alter -- but not raze -- an existing structure," Jade reports.

"Plans also call for the building to receive a new roof and stainless steel facade," Jade reports. "On the interior, Apple's proposal calls for two stories of retail sales space to be joined by a trademark glass staircases, similar to the one found at its SoHo, New York and Regent Street, London locations."

"Apple hopes to begin operating out of the Montreal location during the summer or early fall of next year," Jade reports.

The old building next to the HMV superstore on Yonge would be excellent for a Toronto flagship Apple location.

The old building next to the HMV superstore on Yonge would be excellent for a Toronto flagship Apple location.

Its way too close to the Eaton Centre location (and they probably think its way too cold up here in Canada not to have a location in a mall for winter).

That building is a beauty and its looking more and more run-down everyday (it looks like it badly needs some TLC). It would be great if some retailer (or the owner) gave it the attention that it deserves.

The article says "first Canadian Flagship". Apple puts flagship stores in all the big cities when they find a location that suits them.

I could see the Eaton Centre store closing if a suitable Yonge Street flagship location was found in the Queen-Dundas area, but I am willing to bet that Apple would rather have a Bloor-Bay-Yorkville location for a flagship. 1 Bloor East anyone?

Montreal doesn't have a store yet, by the way, so we're doing well with three. Montrealers have to go up to Laval if they want to visit an Apple store. That feels like going to Iqaluit for some Montrealers I know.

Actually, just to go on about Apple stores - - -

why haven't we heard about a Square One location yet? The three in Toronto are going such gangbusters that Missy's huge mall seems like another obvious location.

I'm not certain what's holding their expansion out into the provinces either. Is the retail real estate market so strong in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa that they can't find a location in any of those cities? There have been rumours of the Pacific Centre in Vancouver getting a location, and the Chinook Centre in Calgary was briefly looking for employees before the plans were cancelled there. What gives Apple Canada? Your stores are full to bursting.

Square One really does need an Apple Store. Just like it needs a Hollister and A&F. Yorkdale needs HCO and AF too.

The population of Mississauga is quite young and I'm sure a lot of people here would love to buy a Mac.

I always wonder about that. If Macs are so easy and user friendly, why are there always so many people in there getting help with them?

Back