News   Apr 19, 2024
 24     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 389     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 637     1 

Apple Store

Maybe if we hadn't torn down so many historic buildings...

Yes, imagine this as the Apple store:

(TPL via Torontoist)

AoD

Last edited:
Apple Eaton Centre is now complete. They moved in the furniture a couple of weeks back and have sealed off the James St. construction entrance, restoring it back to how it was.

October During construction:
IMG_8012.jpg

Now, Construction complete:
IMG_8585.jpg

This was the last shot I was able to get, having been allowed seconds of access a few times during construction before they drywalled the backroom.

IMG_3079.jpg

This gives us an idea of how expansive this store is going to be. Nearly three times the size of the existing store upstairs.

As for the opening date, Apple opened up new retail positions at Eaton Centre 10 days ago. My hunch tells me they'll do it for Black Friday (next week) but there's no way to know for sure. I have a contact at CF who doesn't know for sure either but is hearing mid December. That would be nuts, right in the middle of busy holiday shopping season. The store is ready, Apple has their reasons for holding off on opening it.

We can see some features from construction photos. First, that they're going to use the full width of the store for the retail floor with shelving embedded in the walls. An earlier plan called for the stock room and back of house operations to run along the left side.

Second, They're not relocating ceiling utilities so this is going to be a lower than average ceiling, calling for Apple to use their light panelled ceiling to give an illusion of height. Higher ceilings usually get either wood or aluminium ceiling panels with embedded light strips. Lower ceilings are typically all illuminated panels.

Third, we can see an iron frame on the other side of this back wall. It's there to support a large wall display at the back of the store.

Fourth, the way the store is set back a few feet from the mall floor indicates that there'll be swivel doors that pivot open rather than sliding doors at the mall threshold.

It'll very likely look a lot like this mall store in Australia but both about 30% wider and deeper.

hero_large.jpg

Interior3.jpg

Photos: Apple

This won't be an exciting store, but the relief from the crowding at the painfully overdue original store replacement is welcome.

We'll have to look forward to the flagship store at The One to bring a taste of Apple and Norman Foster's iconic architectural excellence to Toronto.

I believe it's Dec 14th

That’s crazy. Less than 2 weeks before Christmas. The mall will be bananas and their staff will have their hands full during the busiest weeks of the year.

I guess they’re bringing in an entirely different transition staff to deal with the move. One set of staff will be operating the original store while a different set of staff will be training in the new store and opening it. I wonder if there’ll be an overlap where both stores are open until after Christmas.

That’s crazy. Less than 2 weeks before Christmas. The mall will be bananas and their staff will have their hands full during the busiest weeks of the year.

I guess they’re bringing in an entirely different transition staff to deal with the move. One set of staff will be operating the original store while a different set of staff will be training in the new store and opening it. I wonder if there’ll be an overlap where both stores are open until after Christmas.
...or until the end of 2019 to accommodate Boxing Day shopping.

It would be interesting to see that. But I don’t think there’s precedent, pretty sure even 5th avenue had the exact same stop and start date for their temporary store.

Also couldn’t see it working logistically: where do they put stock, will they have two radio frequencies, where will customers with appointments go. Also it would be admitting their new store isn’t large enough of they keep both open.

It would be interesting to see that. But I don’t think there’s precedent, pretty sure even 5th avenue had the exact same stop and start date for their temporary store.

5th Avenue didn’t open smack in the middle of the busiest shopping season of the year. When I worked retail, Christmas was all hands on deck, executing plans we had rehearsed for and getting out as much stock as we could sell, replenishing the stockroom multiple times a day. Adding in a move to a totally different store would be insane. There was simply no time.

While I don’t expect both stores to be open simultaneously, I can’t imagine the staff from the old store will be the staff opening the new one. They won’t have time to train and to go through familiarizing themselves with the new store layout and back of house while also operating the old store during the busiest 2 weeks of the year.

In fact, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they just scrubbed the opening because they missed the deadline in October/November and instead opened it in the new year.

Fairview Mall is next apparently

Back