News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Apple Store

It looks like the Genius really knew something: the McDonald's is now closed.

However, while he may have known about the McDonald's closure, it might be unrelated to Apple. The collection of stores that is now closed makes for a huge amount of square footage. The SportsCheck (Floor -1 and 1st floor), McDonalds (2nd and 3rd floor), Grand & Toy (2nd floor) and Goodlife Fitness take up a lot of real estate. That can't all be for an Apple Store. Remaining on that corner are the Cultures restaurant and Town Shoes. I wonder if their lease is up soon as well. That would be a really large store if it were to become an Apple Store like the Genius insinuated.

It does... until you've seen the Regent St. store in London. I don't think Apple would take up the upper floors (probably leased as office space) but the space on the first two floors is about the right size for a flagship Apple Store. However, given how the Sports Check downstairs is also available, it's possible that something much bigger will go here.

The only reason I'm speculating that it's an Apple Store is because the Genius Bar guy insinuated it would be and knew that the McDonalds would be closing even though there were no external indications of that.

It depends where exactly the Richtree restaurant will be located on Level 1; it will reportedly occupy 18,000 sq. ft. Will it simply replace the old South food court, or extend to the old SportChek location and to the area adjacent to the current Richtree location, where there were a couple of restaurants?

I wonder if this could mean that Apple has given up on their flagship store at 1 Bloor considering how long that project is taking.

That's going to be quite a nice location for a Harry Rosen, something The Bay might not like (right by their tunnel). So what's going in the old brick building? The Sports Check will likely become the new Rich Tree given how much space was reported that they'd be taking.

Funny, The Grid quoted my post :) Good news about Apple negotiating for a new space.

It really almost makes me cry that Toronto still doesn't have a glass staircase Apple Store. Why does the very centre of Apple's market for an entire country have a flagship store shoehorned into a tiny space in a mall that barely fits 200 people?

There's something to the fact that we've been left out of big plans for a signature Apple Store. I think Apple got shot down in their plans, probably waiting for 1 Bloor E or some other location that fell through. Canada is one of their biggest markets. Something must be in the works.

That's not true. Canada is always a part of their first wave of release territories for major products (when the launch is not exclusive to the US). Toronto is their biggest market in Canada, therefor Toronto is on their radar. As I said, there must have been plans that fell through. We even have proof of the existence of those plans, two of them on Bloor near Yonge. There is documented evidence of this -- including drawings.

Ryerson has also publicly said that they were hoping for Apple to become their retail tenant at the Student Learning Centre. A proper flagship Apple Store will open in Toronto at some point, it's just a question of where and when.

I think there's no doubt. Apple is just waiting for the right location. I'm sure they'll do something amazing. Eventually.

I hate Apple in the Eaton Centre! I went there 3 or 4 times, to get help with buying an Apple computer and I could not get any service. It was just so crowded, that I gave up. I ended up getting my brother to order my Apple through the net. I'm still pissed off I had to do it that way. They really need a store twice the size because that place is a mad-house, the way it is now. I refuse to even go into the store, until they do something about the over crowding. (and terrible service)

Back