News   Mar 28, 2024
 437     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 731     0 

Any Canadian-owned chains of coffee shops?

Apparently it's machine coffee - and that might be a bit too much at that price.

AoD
by a fairly strange set of circumstances I was able to sample a costa coffee in the UK then within a couple of days stopped in at a Shell location with one of the new Costa machines......i must say....the coffee was pretty much exactly the same...which surprised me (pleasantly).

I know about Tim Hortons which has been traded a lot over the years..This iconic shop was once privately owned Tim Horton (1964), but went on to be bought an sold many times over the past few years. In 1967 he teamed up with Ron Joyce to expand the chain,later in the year Tim Horton died in a car accident.
Check this timeline
http://o.canada.com/news/who-owns-tim-hortons

Because Coffee Time locations are consistently the sketchiest places in Toronto?
It is oddly true. There used to be a Coffee Time at Winchester and Parliament that did nothing but attract the dregs of society, with that corner much improved since Rexall took over the space. There was a Coffee Time at Dundas and Broadview that was a dump, and now is a wedding boutique. Has a Coffee Time ever been replaced by something less advantageous to the neighbourhood?

Similarly, the Coffee Time at the corner of Queen's Quay and Spadina was a dump. It's now a busy Starbucks

Has a Coffee Time ever been replaced by something less advantageous to the neighbourhood?

Well, there was that Coffee Time at Danforth and Cedarvale, which was destroyed when a car crashed into it. The damaged building, which was for a time structurally unsound and a danger to anyone nearby, was maybe worse than the Coffee Time that had previously occupied the space. Maybe.

Last edited:
That's the Coffee Time at Danforth and Cedarvale, which I mentioned above. The car crashing into it might have helped spur on the remake of that outlet.

It looks like a rip off of Aroma branding - but the font choice (accented O for that wispsof steam) and the barely visible "anytime" right below is just bizarre.

AoD

Recently noticed that Bulldog Coffee has shut down on Gerrard Street East. While I know Stuart Ross wasn't everyone's cup of tea, it was one of the city's first 'third-wave' (or late second-wave...) espresso bars in the early 2000s (back when latte art was really a novelty). They also had a great location on Eglinton just east Yonge which shut down a few years ago, and even if the industry has moved past them, it's sad to see them go... Does anyone know if a new location is being planned in replacement, or is Bulldog gone?

They still exist? Haven't seen in one in years. At least in such Canadian small towns as Revelstoke, Golden, Osoyoos, Canmore, Tremblant, Sutton, Port Hope, Paris, Parry Sound, Okotoks, etc.
They do indeed.

http://www.robinsdonuts.com/locations.aspx lists 142 locations From Newfoundland to British Columbia. Driving across Canada, they seemed to be everywhere outside of southern Ontario, Quebec, and coastal BC.

Or maybe I just don't notice them because I'm a snob. I thought they were dead, really.
Maybe you need to spend more time in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Charlottetown, St. Johns, and Saskatoon.

At 142 locations, surely it's the biggest Canadian chain there is, assuming the original poster's comments that Tim's is now Brazilian are correct..

Back