News   Jul 22, 2024
 226     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 992     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.2K     7 

androiduk's My Toronto

"Clinkers'. Is this the stuff they used to spread on City of Toronto schoolyards?"
QUOTE Mustapha.

As I understand it, clinkers were what were removed from the furnace pre sifting, with cinders being the much smaller

remains after coke removal and being broken-down again as for use below:

Cinders were used on running tracks at schools, during the winter on sidewalks, and in the manufacture of "cinder blocks",

they having a rather dark cast due to the cinder aggregate therein.

"I haven't seen a fuel oil truck in years."
QUOTE Mustapha.

The oil delivery industy is a shadow of it's former self due to the demise of "Home Heating Oil" but some delivery continues.

The present mainstay of the business remains with commercial delivery to the refrigerated trucking industry, on site fuel tanks,

and suprise suprise, the emergency generator - delivering uninteruptable electrical power for buildings.

To my mind, there were/are number of major differences between gravity hot air and a forced air heating system:

1A) Gravity heating (with coal) was a silent, deep heat, one that would allow even the most severe cold to "rapidly leave the bones".

2A) The concept, although somewhat labour intensive with it's morning/evening refueling chores and adding water to it's tray, was

one of quiet dignity.

3A) Any and all that was fire consumable could be burned in the furnace, adding to house warmth and reducing the heating cost.

4A) Dirty, dirty, dirty. The coal delivery man during and after loading his truck was coverd from head to foot in black coal residue,

as was any child who would venture forth into the coal bin. (Large bags of coal were delivered on the back of the driver to the

"coal window", beside the house.)

1B) Oil is oil, is oil; not quite. With oil,(and gas) the burner is either "ON" or "OFF". when it is ON, the house is warm, when OFF, it cools

down; the regulation is not "steady state". The latter also includes "The Wind".

2B) Minimal labour involved. There is really nothing that you are able to do (licensing required) other than change the air filter and

maybe, just maybe, change the oil filter and beat upon the now somewhat "high teck" water humidor. (Meet your new Furnace Repairman!)

3B) Unless you have bought a dual fuel system, eg oil/wood, you cannot burn anything other than it's permitted design.

4B) Clean, clean, clean, especially with gas, however they both require an annual inspection with an oil burning rig needing a clean-out.
(Also see 2B.)

Don't get me started on Steam!
(Which I love.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
3A) Any and all that was fire consumable could be burned in the furnace, adding to house warmth and reducing the heating cost.

4A) Dirty, dirty, dirty. The coal delivery man during and after loading his truck was coverd from head to foot in black coal residue,

as was any child who would venture forth into the coal bin. (Large bags of coal were delivered on the back of the driver to the

"coal window", beside the house.)

Regards,
J T

Burning scrap paper in gramps' coal furnace, bits of construction leftovers, and for this boy, dead mice; made for a thrilling few years until the natural gas unit went in.

The coal 'bin' in gramps place was actually a basement room. For those under 40, imagine a room filled knee high with bbg charcoal briquets (hey, what happened to those?). Tape sealed the door gaps until several hours after the delivery. People didn't live in basements in those days.

Last edited:
"I'd forgotten what it was like to stand, run and play on an acre of crushed sharp dusty rock."
QUOTE Mustapha.

Now you know the answer to the question:

Where/how did the school get rid of their funace cinders?

Regards,
J T

I haven't seen a fuel oil truck in years.

'Clinkers'. Is this the stuff they used to spread on City of Toronto schoolyards?

I think that was asbestos. You know, they used to put in the playground, put it in the walls, in the gym equipment, the milk, those shots they gave us every September... but hey, we never caught fire! :)

"I think that was asbestos. You know, they used to put in the playground"
QUOTE Lone Primate.

Asbestos was never placed in playgrounds because it would not serve any usefull purpose, and would actually

be a detriment, it becoming more or less "mush" when damp/wet.

"put it in the walls"

The only time it was ever put as a wall was in the form of "asbestos cement board", it then being covered with a

plaster browncoat and then a fine white plaster top. I have never seen bags of it during nonindustrial plaster jobs.

What was used for many years in both residential/commercial plaster jobs was the use of horse hair, but only in the

"browncoat", never the "finework" aka topcoat/finishcoat.

All of your "other stuff" relates purely to "industrial fallout" when these articles were manufactured - not a big deal

at the time.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Gone too are the maxims like "a ton per room per year".

Just for fun I Googled 'coal suppliers Toronto'. No results. :)

I think that was asbestos. You know, they used to put in the playground, put it in the walls, in the gym equipment, the milk, those shots they gave us every September... but hey, we never caught fire! :)

I wonder what future generations will look back at as practices or customs negligent or cruel to youngsters at the beginning of the Third Millennium. I'll start:

--Optional High School PhysEd. Sorry teens, this is something you should take..

rysign.jpg

"I know it's a little hot but would you rather have this;"
QUOTE androiduk.

Yes, for app 15 minutes on my flat roof.

Regards,
J T

Back