News   Apr 26, 2024
 951     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 776     0 

Amazon Second HQ

Definitely helps. Why would Amazon put all its eggs in the same United States basket if they’re being threatened very directly there? Amazon needs a Planet B to migrate to if the US government goes to war with them as it looks like they will.

Definitely helps. Why would Amazon put all its eggs in the same United States basket if they’re being threatened very directly there? Amazon needs a Planet B to migrate to if the US government goes to war with them as it looks like they will.

It might but by that same token, it might complicate and make them a target for tax and operational matters. i.e. dual head office? That means you are 50% foreign which means subject to foreign corporations rules and therefore additional scrutiny by different regulators. Want to acquire a company? That means additional hoops to go through, etc.

All the tariffs Trump is proposing/implementing probably don't make things easier for Amazon either.

It might but by that same token, it might complicate and make them a target for tax and operational matters. i.e. dual head office? That means you are 50% foreign which means subject to foreign corporations rules and therefore additional scrutiny by different regulators. Want to acquire a company? That means additional hoops to go through, etc.

Without a doubt, I think the Seattle office is still going to be headquarters, and much larger than HQ2, regardless of its city. It shouldn't be too big of a deal if 20-30% of their operations are here. Many tech companies have large Toronto offices that serve clients in the States and it's not a big issue.

If anything, I think Trump's tweets help the DC, Northern Virginia and Maryland bids more than Toronto. It shows the needs for a monolithic regulatory and public affairs presence near K Street and the Capitol.

Trump is at max 8 years, most likely less. I don't really see what he spews on Twitter is going to affect their big and long term decision. I'm putting my money that they will be in the DC area as well.

Edit: just read the MSN article and they mention the same thing.

It's unlikely Donald Trump's social media missives will sway the decision either in Toronto's favour or that of any of its 19 U.S. city competitors , as the company is probably more focused on its long-term goals than acquiescing to a White House administration that could be around for a maximum of eight years.

Amazon officials asked Toronto bid backers about health care and the tech sector
Amazon officials evaluating Toronto as a potential host for the company’s second headquarters were keen to learn about the benefits of government-provided universal medicare, Toronto’s education system and the city’s booming tech sector.
More...https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...rs-about-health-care-and-the-tech-sector.html

Trump is at max 8 years, most likely less. I don't really see what he spews on Twitter is going to affect their big and long term decision. I'm putting my money that they will be in the DC area as well.

Edit: just read the MSN article and they mention the same thing.

On the face of it it makes sense. But small potential Trump can use it as a lightening rod to craft legislation (depends on how heavy Pro Trump republicans take Congress). Many educated Americans will likely also side with 'punishing' Amazon for the loss of such an opportunity to say "ohh, you don't want to be an American company now? You'll face the same type of hurdles a Chinese based company would face".

Once legislation is passed, almost impossible to reverse it, so I wouldn't just look at it as "Gee, Trump's only in for 8 years at most.. or 4". Laws can be enacted during that time.

Trump may only be president for 4 or 8 years, but the trends that led him to getting elected have been going on for decades and will continue for decades after he's gone.

We apparently are going to make the final four. A twitter friend thinks that if Trump keeps on going after Bezos and Amazon, they will give America the finger and pick us.

We apparently are going to make the final four. A twitter friend thinks that if Trump keeps on going after Bezos and Amazon, they will give America the finger and pick us.

I would suggest your source is well informed. ;)

At least that's what my source says. LOL

Back