News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 829     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

Amazon Second HQ

Even post Trump, Amazon needs long term security that it can hire foreign talent and frankly, there's no better place in the world than Canada

From what I understand, the United States isn't producing technology talent like they used to. The bulk of the talent at the forefront of technology (AI) working in the United States are coming from overseas. The United States unstable immigration policy is a very serious threat to the likes of Apple, Amazon and Google, which is why we've seen them push back so hard against Trump's immigration changes. Locating HQ2 insulates Amazon from this, angry tweets from Trump be damned.

It seems like right now the top 5 candidates, based on media discussion and analysis, are:

Atlanta
Pittsburgh
New Jersey
Boston
Austin

With Detroit, Philadelphia and Toronto nipping at the heels.

Am I missing any high profile candidates?

Last edited:
I am getting the impression that American media discussion and analysis over the bid candidates seem to be willfully ignoring or ignorantly dismissing Toronto as a prime bid candidate from these discussions.

If we do win, it will be a great schadenfreude here towards the American media reporting on this.

I was going to say the same thing. The America media that I've seen report this don't mention Toronto at all.

How Amazon Took Seattle’s Soul
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/opinion/how-amazon-took-seattles-soul.html?_r=0

So, if you’re lucky enough to land HQ2 — congrats! But be careful, all you urban suitors longing for a hip, creative class. You think you can shape Amazon? Not a chance. It will shape you. Well before Amazon disrupted books, music, television, furniture — everything — it disrupted Seattle.

It is an argument, but not one I buy for Toronto.

We are several times larger than Seattle. We can absorb Amazon. Amazon will not shape us, we will shape where and how Amazon grows.

Amazon will be just one large fish among many in Toronto.

I wouldn't do city to city comparison per se but look at the metropolitan region. The Seattle Metro is short of 4M, we are depending on your measure, almost double that. Also, US cities in general is less "well rounded". Our teachers and cops can still get a place in front of the water - as a condo.

Their media is fairly inward looking, but the chatter online is something else.

AoD

Last edited:
It is an argument, but not one I buy for Toronto.

We are several times larger than Seattle. We can absorb Amazon. Amazon will not shape us, we will shape where and how Amazon grows.

Amazon will be just one large fish among many in Toronto.

Would Amazon in Toronto make it the largest tech company in the city?

It seems like right now the top 5 candidates, based on media discussion and analysis

I wouldn't put too much weight into media discussion. I'm sure most of the people making these lists of top candidates are no more educated on the matter than your average UT poster

I am getting the impression that American media discussion and analysis over the bid candidates seem to be willfully ignoring or ignorantly dismissing Toronto as a prime bid candidate from these discussions.

If we do win, it will be a great schadenfreude here towards the American media reporting on this.

Ignorantly dismissing? Yes. I, for one, hope Toronto gets it so I can spend an afternoon laughing at the chorus of "WTF!?!?" that'll be resonating from American journalists.

Would Amazon in Toronto make it the largest tech company in the city?
The thing about a HQ2, is that I doubt it would be exclusively tech jobs. There are a lot of upper and lower management and business jobs that are going to be a part of the mix.

I think Amazon will be the largest tech company in sheer number of jobs, but I don't know how large a percentage it would be from the overall pool.

It would also be curious to see how Amazon fares in total job numbers compared to other big banks and other companies.

50,000 jobs is substantial for one corporation. RBC our biggest bank by market cap for instance claims to have over 80,000 employees; However, that is their total global headcount that is based in 35 countries.

Oh, this is going to be some great schadenfreude.

I like how Rochester is ranked 4th in the article, but then when you start to read about it you learn that:
Still, Rochester is rightfully an extreme long shot. The foremost challenge involves finding up to 50,000 workers to fill the jobs created by Amazon. Rochester has lost more residents than it has gained in recent years, part of a broader wave of migration out of Upstate New York. This reflects numerous structural challenges facing the area, from frigid winters to a relatively remote location; one would have to drive more than four hours to find an airport with direct flights to Amazon’s home base of Seattle.

Yeah I'd expect better from Moody's. Meanwhile more *impartial* shortlists are coming up, in the form of online betting. Toronto in 4th with 7/1 odds.

http://fortune.com/2017/10/23/amazon-hq2-atlanta/

Back