News   Sep 18, 2024
 178     0 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 383     1 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 687     1 

Alexander The Great Parkette Revitalization (Greektown BIA, FFLA)

I visited the parkette this morning for the first time and ended up liking it more than I expected.

I like how the parkette isn’t trying to do too much, given the small space. The spill out of the cafe patio where the Greek elders were drinking their morning coffee gave the square, dare I say, a bit of an old world vibe.

6C6A6F53-2C94-44FD-8A66-40BFCCB1EE03.jpeg

165DDF12-6D11-48DA-A7B0-B8DC2595FDF3.jpeg

E30C3F3E-EF4C-46E7-AB5B-E7D4B1A5CB11.jpeg

having grown up just around the corner, I love what they did with this square, what I don't understand is why they brought back that terrible statue of Alexander the Great... it's like a kids doodle and there is nothing great about that version of Alexander.

The city just needs a hundred more squares and parkettes just like this one.

I broadly support the sentiment, though acquiring 100-200 lots fronting arterials might be a tad pricey for that function.

I think if we could make better use of existing/expanded public parks, but also some Green P lots, and wide boulevard spaces (boulevard parking, overly wide side street) there are some golden opportunities at relatively low cost.

I might just start a thread looking at opportunity sites.

Just for inspo though, here's a former boulevard parking site in the Annex:

1726514793740.png

I visited the parkette this morning for the first time and ended up liking it more than I expected.

I like how the parkette isn’t trying to do too much, given the small space. The spill out of the cafe patio where the Greek elders were drinking their morning coffee gave the square, dare I say, a bit of an old world vibe.

View attachment 596312
I'm sure they'll make it work somehow, but the stage area looks less conducive to performance than in the past.

It was an exaggeration. I'd be happy with a handful more
In fact, we can start by removing this little nub of Richmond Street that only serves as a right-turn from SB Jarvis. Needless and should be replaced by a tiny Parkette. Even better if we can redevelop the parking into something usable, too.
1000009758.png

having grown up just around the corner, I love what they did with this square, what I don't understand is why they brought back that terrible statue of Alexander the Great... it's like a kids doodle and there is nothing great about that version of Alexander.

You're back!

AoD

You're back!

AoD

Is @paraone really back though? Or were they back and they've left again?

10 years, 4 month and change prior to today to find their last post............

If they hold to pattern, we can expect another post in January or February 2035.

Back