News   Jul 30, 2024
 804     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 638     0 

About the Toronto Sun

The Star hasn't been afraid to go after the Liberals or NDP.

It was The Star that revealed the "Ornge" scandal which put a lot of heat on the Ontario Liberals.

The Sun appeals to the blue collar worker. I'm the youngest guy working at a warehouse and all of the older guys read The Sun during their breaks. I'm the only guy there who prefers the Star and The G&M.

The Star seems to appeal more to College/University students and the LGBT community.

The G&M and The Post seem to appeal more to the "suit and tie" crowd.

Count me as a blue-collar worker who thinks the Sun is complete rubbish not fit to wipe me arse with.
(Disclosure: I think the G&M is the only newspaper worth reading.)

There are of course exceptions, but that is the general rule. I personally enjoy the globe and toronto star, each for different reasons. (I read the star for the local articles, and the globe for actual news)

Agreed about the Globe and Wente. Sometimes I fear that the Globe is morphing into some twee lifestyle rag. I think it's losing its own sense of history and purpose. I keep coming back to it out of sheer habit, but since the paywall went up I do my ten articles and then I'm locked out. I find it's not as great a loss as it might have been, years back.

As for the Sun, when I do read it I'm mindful of the dictum know your enemies.

Lenser:

As for the Sun, when I do read it I'm mindful of the dictum know your enemies.

Actually that's what the Post is for - the sane "enemies" anyways (opponent is far better term, with a sense of implied cordiality, i.e. one wouldn't mind having a drink with said person after). Not sure if one can do much about the shrill tea-bagging Sun-crowd.

As to Wente - anyone with greater self-respect and integrity would have quit - and a paper with said qualities would have demanded her resignation. Nuff said.

AoD

Well, I read the Post and the Sun for much the same reasons - when I find 'em discarded on the subway or streetcar, or when I'm linking to a story online. Both tend to express viewpoints which are rarely aligned with my own, so I tend to equate them. One is simply much more polished and cogent than the other, but they share a great deal of underlying political/partisan bedrock.

I read the Star (I subscribe to it even). When given the opportunity, I also read the G&M (but cringe at Wente's columns, especially since she is considered a plagiarizer).

However, I find that the Star is not progressive enough for me (I also read NOW (but avoid the back pages)). It is unfortunate that the Toronto Star is the most progressive mainstream daily newspaper in Toronto and I happen to be further left of the Star even. There is a very good reason for all those free Toronto Stars on the shelves of the three main universities in Toronto

The Entertainment section of the Toronto Star is not progressive enough for me in many cases.

The National Post, I rarely read. The Sun, yes I have seen the insides of it and it made me want to use it to clean spills, especially with its Tea Party North bent.

None of the newspapers have as good journalistic qualities as an academic journal.

Last edited:
I've always had a tough time with the Star - always felt flabby and saddled with the strained earnestness of the mushy middle. But it has more substance and hard reportage than the Sun, I'll give you that. As for NOW, it strikes me as a titch too eager in its self-congratulatory stance as a left-wing standard bearer. I find it hard to stomach. The smarminess of its self-righteousness often pushes me away. Certain columns are excellent, though.

Back to the Sun. Like others have mentioned, I miss the cartoonish world view of that impossibly grim fellow, Lubor J. Zink. And Rimstead was fine, too... a guy who didn't take himself too seriously.

Last edited:

Back