News   May 03, 2024
 20     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 377     0 

596 Church Street (Church 18 Holdings, 25s, RAW) DEAD

The writing's on the wall

596sign.jpg

Last edited:
Restored heritage buildings at grade? Sounds promising. No mention of facade preservations. Maybe a sensitive "Five"-style hybrid?

I hope they tear down the one adjacent to Church however, and extend a robust retail landscape northward towards Bloor.

That sounds far better than what what reported in Xtra (and quoted in the first post in this thread.) I wonder if the outrage here (and whoever else registered it - were there others?) helped convince the developer to change their tune?

Anything that extends the retail strip is fine by me. The Village is not much more than two blocks between Church and Alexander. Outside of this there are too many interruptions to the retail flow. This development could help a lot. Next, get rid of the entire block on the west side of Church from Wellesley to Dundonald. The east side can go too.

Question: Is this the building done by RAW Design? (Which has the most annoying site in the history of ever)

DESCRIPTION
"The village in downtown Toronto was a once thriving community however it is in need of some new energy and investment. This project proposes to add density and intensify uses at the edge of the village while extending the urban and retail character of the area. This project retains three significant heritage structures on the site using an innovative system of retention and relocation, and maintains a long term restaurant, a local institution in place. Each components is rendered in simple form and articulation giving the development a contemporary expression. The lower portions of the building use brick, and precast detailing to provide a texture consistent the heritage structures on the block. The positioning of each of the components is intended to provide an a distinctive massing and step back decisively to preserve the intimate street character of Church Street and frame retained heritage elements."

I was trying to get the picture, but the site is so lame.

That sounds far better than what what reported in Xtra (and quoted in the first post in this thread.) I wonder if the outrage here (and whoever else registered it - were there others?) helped convince the developer to change their tune?

I was one of those registering the outrage. If they are planning on constructing behind these properties then yes, but I don't think that there is enough space behind these buildings. What I expect is the backs of the heritage homes will be chopped off and integrated into the proposal. The only other option is moving 580 & 582 closer to the street but it still wouldn't leave a lot of room. Until we see detailed plans, not acceptable.

A reminder of the properties affected:

ChurchStredevelopment.jpg

Last edited:
I would be OK with chopping off the backs of 592 Church and 61 & 67 Gloucester (the apartment complexes) then building in behind but definitely not involving 580, 582 or 584 Church St. - and only after seeing detailed proposals. Period.

Anything that extends the retail strip is fine by me. The Village is not much more than two blocks between Church and Alexander. Outside of this there are too many interruptions to the retail flow. This development could help a lot. Next, get rid of the entire block on the west side of Church from Wellesley to Dundonald. The east side can go too.

Your joking, right? It's all busy, diverse retail along there, and then the park on the east side past Dudley's Hardware & Ladybug Florists. Or should that and the 519 go too?

Last edited:
WOW. We owe it to the developer to throw out support behind this one... looks like a beautiful project, and continues the excellent precedent set by FIVE St. Joseph:

church4.jpg

church3.jpg

church2.jpg

church1.jpg

SOURCE: Raw Design

I knew it! This one has been on RAW Design forevvverrrrr. I saw it when Hume was talking about this firm's design of a car dealership.

Back