News   Jul 15, 2024
 317     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 554     0 

44th Canadian Federal Election

So what happens if there is an even split in the number of seats.. 120 to 120 for example with the other parties making up the rest and no clear winner?
The GG asks the Liberals (as the current/previous) government to try to form a government and obtain a vote of confidence in the House. If they fail, she tries the next party. If nobody can win a vote of confidence we have another election.

The GG asks the Liberals (as the current/previous) government to try to form a government and obtain a vote of confidence in the House. If they fail, she tries the next party. If nobody can win a vote of confidence we have another election.
Spot on. The only thing a government need do is to maintain supply, that is, pass budgets. Thus the smaller coalition partner who supports the larger partner in parliament may be in a 'confidence & supply' agreement. Doing nothing other than supporting the government during confidence and budgetary votes: the bare minimum.

To any buddying constitutional geeks, James Bowden's website Parliamentum is a great font of knowledge on constitutional history and practice. Andrew Scheer Is Not Exactly Wrong: Forming Governments in Minority Parliaments

^ A true 'coalition' government includes a shared Executive (Cabinet);i.e. both partners form a union to govern, of whatever terms and duration. The agreement to form a coalition government between the Liberals and NDP - supported by the Bloc - to defeat the Conservatives in 2008, was stillborn. We haven't had a sitting coalition government federally since the First World War.

All votes on 'money bills' are, by default, matters of confidence, but a government can declare any pending vote a matter of confidence.

Registered Political Parties

Deregistered Political Parties

Eligible Political Parties That Have Withdrawn​

Political Parties That Lost Their Eligibility to Become Registered​

From link.

^ A true 'coalition' government includes a shared Executive (Cabinet);i.e. both partners form a union to govern, of whatever terms and duration. The agreement to form a coalition government between the Liberals and NDP - supported by the Bloc - to defeat the Conservatives in 2008, was stillborn. We haven't had a sitting coalition government federally since the First World War.

All votes on 'money bills' are, by default, matters of confidence, but a government can declare any pending vote a matter of confidence.
Excellent point, my loose language. A coalition e.g. U.K. 2010-15, very much different from C&S agreement.

Certainly looks to be a Liberal minority.......though a majority isn't quite out of reach....but unlikely.

Only 2 seats not reporting at this point.

Though many are still at the 1 or 2 poll stage so not very reliable.

Looking shockingly close to where things were at dissolution.
I see Bernier didn't get a seat.
Annamie Paul is looking at a fourth place finish in Toronto Centre.

Annamie Paul is looking at a fourth place finish in Toronto Centre

Honestly, Toronto-Centre is a bad fit for the greens.

My feeling is that this was more of an Annamie Paul SJW thing than anything else. She wanted to take the party in a new direction focusing on issues that mattered to the low income, minorities and so forth.

Annamie Paul is a cross between BLM, OCAP and the NDP in my opinion which really turns off alot of green supporters.

Annamie Paul is looking at a fourth place finish in Toronto Centre.

Certainly doesn't look good, but .........I would caution, only 10/137 polls are reporting........very, very early there

Seeing these lineups of people downtown who still haven't voted makes me think we need to make election day a national holiday. We shouldn't be expecting people to rush down to a polling station after work just to stand in line for hours. I get that the pandemic has made this election especially challenging, but we should be making it as easy as possible to vote in every election. I bet a lot of people don't vote because it's too hard to fit into the day.

I was lucky, there's a polling station in my building and the wait was pretty painless. I walked by it a couple times during the day and it was almost deserted, but it got much busier in the evening. If people didn't have to work the crowds would be more evenly distributed throughout the day. Plus it would be easier to find election workers.

Seeing these lineups of people downtown who still haven't voted makes me think we need to make election day a national holiday. We shouldn't be expecting people to rush down to a polling station after work just to stand in line for hours. I get that the pandemic has made this election especially challenging, but we should be making it as easy as possible to vote in every election. I bet a lot of people don't vote because it's too hard to fit into the day.

I was lucky, there's a polling station in my building and the wait was pretty painless. I walked by it a couple times during the day and it was almost deserted, but it got much busier in the evening. If people didn't have to work the crowds would be more evenly distributed throughout the day. Plus it would be easier to find election workers.

I'm not opposed to that.........though putting voting day on a Sunday might work just as well.

But really, we seem to have (more than usual this time) but real issues with higher density polls in some spots.

I literally had no one in line in my East York area polling Station, I was in/out in no time.

But a friend sent me a photo of the Beaches-area station at Calvary Church this evening....and the line was way down the street, he estimated an hour long......

Not acceptable. Period.

We need the right number of polls and the right level of staffing at those polls.

I'm not opposed to that.........though putting voting day on a Sunday might work just as well.

But really, we seem to have (more than usual this time) but real issues with higher density polls in some spots.

I literally had no one in line in my East York area polling Station, I was in/out in no time.

But a friend sent me a photo of the Beaches-area station at Calvary Church this evening....and the line was way down the street, he estimated an hour long......

Not acceptable. Period.

We need the right number of polls and the right level of staffing at those polls.
Apparently the key problem was that polls were not allowed in condominium tower lobbies as a pandemic precaution, so they had to consolidate all of those (about a dozen) into the only space left they could find down there. Clearly there needs to be better options in this area if we have to do this with restrictions again.

Apparently the key problem was that polls were not allowed in condominium tower lobbies as a pandemic precaution, so they had to consolidate all of those (about a dozen) into the only space left they could find down there. Clearly there needs to be better options in this area if we have to do this with restrictions again.

In Toronto Centre, the densest riding in Canada, and one of the lowest-income ridings, the number of poll locations was reduced by 84% this year. My polling place (election day and advance poll) was at the Marriott Hotel on Bay Street, across the street from Spadina-Fort York and from University-Rosedale. It was a really poorly placed poll location, though it had the space Elections Canada wanted.

Kevin Vuong is still leading Spadina-Fort York, but I suspect Norm Di Pasquale will win once those lines tonight close and their ballots counted.

Back