News   Apr 25, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 833     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     0 

407 Transitway

Does anyone know how the 407 Transitway will interface with the 427 Transitway? Will they connect with a shared bus terminal, their own stations with pedestrian walkways, or not at all. Also, how will buses from one get to the other? With a normal intersection, through the bus terminal, a "highway" interchange, or not at all?

Does anyone know how the 407 Transitway will interface with the 427 Transitway? Will they connect with a shared bus terminal, their own stations with pedestrian walkways, or not at all. Also, how will buses from one get to the other? With a normal intersection, through the bus terminal, a "highway" interchange, or not at all?

I would imagine that some bus routes will simply turn from 407 to 427 or vise versa, as the demand goes. I can't imagine them building an interchange with curbside stops on the two highways. Diverting all buses to an off-road terminal would slow them down too much.

Is the 427 Transitway even in the works? I haven't seen any studies.
How will they allow for a bus road on the 427 between Brown's Line and the 401?

Is the 427 Transitway even in the works? I haven't seen any studies.
How will they allow for a bus road on the 427 between Brown's Line and the 401?

As per The Big Move, the 427 Transitway is in two segments:
  1. South: Kipling station to Renforth station
  2. North: Pearson to the 407
You likely won't see planning for the North section until there's movement on the South. There are no plans to extend the South section to Brown's Line/Long Branch GO, but it definitely is a no-brainer for regional mobility, allowing for people in the west GTA to directly access Pearson, Central Etobicoke and Midtown Toronto. But they're making due with GO's 40 route.

As per The Big Move, the 427 Transitway is in two segments:
  1. South: Kipling station to Renforth station
  2. North: Pearson to the 407
You likely won't see planning for the North section until there's movement on the South. There are no plans to extend the South section to Brown's Line/Long Branch GO, but it definitely is a no-brainer for regional mobility, allowing for people in the west GTA to directly access Pearson, Central Etobicoke and Midtown Toronto. But they're making due with GO's 40 route.

There are currently so many bus routes that use the south section of the 427, which often has a significant amount of traffic during rush hours. Has Metrolinx even indicated it's intention to commence a study of the south section?

It would be nice if the 427 BRT terminated at Pearson airport...

Yeah I never got that. I mean, sure, you could transfer via the Crosstown West, but why the heck wouldn't you just make the 427 BRT one cohesive line instead of breaking it up between Pearson and Renforth? Can't they just design that segment of Crosstown West to handle buses?

So far the 427 plan is nothing more than a reserved ROW right now - no real sense of technology or anything.

And the 407 Transitway, despite having complete EAs for some sections, has apparently been bumped to post-2041 in the new RTP. The 427 isn't even that far along.

transitway.JPG

So I'm gonna suggest we could all probably spend our time more constructively planning our retirements and funerals than quibbling over fine design elements :)

Attachments

• transitway.JPG
    transitway.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
Reactions: jys
It's still much cheaper to pay toll rates than to build a new transitway if it's just going to be used by GO buses.

Negotiating carrot.

As long as they dangle the 407 transitway carrot at the owners of 407, they may end up keep bumping the 407 transitway indefinitely -- they don't want to lose the toll revenue to a parallel transitway.

Better stations/integration will be needed, though, before 2041. With all the upcoming new allday north-south routes.

bus traffic on the 407 is so minor I seriously doubt they care. Buses are tolled at the rate of a standard truck, so it's small change for the 407 ETR.

Back