News   Nov 21, 2019
 57     0 
News   Nov 20, 2019
 1K     16 
News   Nov 20, 2019
 563     0 

401 Yonge Street (KingSett, 3s, GoldSmith Borgal)

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
There are a couple propsoals like this but they all need to find tenants first.

ProjectEnd

Member Bio
Reaction score
Aesthetically, sure, but I'd worry now about what that polish means for the street's values all the way up to Bloor. Though I barely-but-somewhat sympathize with the 'Yonge is a trash heap' (though not in those words) crowd re the 'Yonge Street Draw,' I question whether the answer is to clean everything up to the point where only chain and corporate retail can afford the rents...

It's gonna happen, but at what cost?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Aesthetically, sure, but I'd worry now about what that polish means for the street's values all the way up to Bloor. Though I barely-but-somewhat sympathize with the 'Yonge is a trash heap' (though not in those words) crowd re the 'Yonge Street Draw,' I question whether the answer is to clean everything up to the point where only chain and corporate retail can afford the rents...

It's gonna happen, but at what cost?
Considering the alternative of disinvestment and physical decline of the structures, I don't think there is much of an option. If not "cleaning up", it would have been wholesale demolition and replacement.

AoD

ardwold1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure what original fabric is salvageable of the old Savoy/Coronet at 399, but how wonderful it would be if that site was to be restored as well. How tired it looks now beside that renewed facade.

Tewder

Member Bio
Reaction score
Considering the alternative of disinvestment and physical decline of the structures, I don't think there is much of an option. If not "cleaning up", it would have been wholesale demolition and replacement.

AoD
Yes, and as for gentrification well that ship's already sailed. Not a bad thing though, more a sign of the times. People don't 'use' Yonge Street the way they once did but at least it's reinventing itself rather than dieing a slow death.