News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 766     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

400 foot List

This list is amazing! It certainly hits home the amount of construction going on in the city. No wonder a recent visitor from Montreal expressed that "Toronto has become the New York of Canada"!

This is an amazing list! I have been working on a similar list and project lately, and I just discovered your project! Very well done! I will closely follow this, and I might pop in with suggestions once in a while! :)

bBFtF.jpg

400 feet or taller:
Grey: Built
Green: Under Construction
Blue: Proposed

from http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=12

Nice find! I wish it was possible to adjust the time of construction, so we can see how much Toronto has changed in the last 10-20-30 years (it is set to 1900...)

What has been built in the last ten years, 8 really, would be a significant skyline on its own... 1 900 ft, (Trump) 2 700 ft, ( SL & BA), 4 600 ft...(RBC, 4S, Ritz, and MLS,), plus how many 500 ft buildings???

That would beat MPLS, and Denver, as they currently built, in terms of 500 ft + buildings....in fact.... the 7 over 600 feet, and the 15 500 footers..22 towers over 500 feet..... I would guess that there are only 3 or 4 citys in NA, outside of the big three, that have that in total!! ( LA, Houston, I doubt Atlanta or Philly have 20 buildings over 500 feet!!)

Its just some perspective on an amazing run!!

By doing a quick count of the buildings 400 ft. or more presently built, and others to be completed along with proposed, the skyline will more than double in size and density in the next 5 years. Some of the proposed projects are more than 5 years away from completion, but even if they are under construction by then, well it's somewhat unbelievable. In the 25 years i lived in the city, it never changed as much as the last 5 years. Whenever i drive back in along the gardiner, it's changed again. It would be nice to see a little more architectural diversity at the waterfront area. There is enough green glass already. All the same, a fantastic transference from the 80's.

Perhaps the most notable thing about the recent construction is that it hasn't been just intensifying old areas, like squeezing in a Trump Tower, but it is really expanded into previously fallow locales. The explosion of Southcore (or, as we used to know it, "the railway lands") has been nothing short of astonishing, as an entirely new section urban buildings has sprouted in what were essentially empty ground. The West Donlands too is a flurry of activity in a previously unused part of the city, and ditto for East Bayfront. College Park I/II/Aura has put a stake into the what has otherwise been an area of relatively unimpressive heights, along with Burano/Murano. The Entertainment District has seen tons of its old warehouses and other buildings sprout highrises. In general, the southern part of the city has been radically transformed, and the edges of what counts as "downtown" are continually being redrawn.

I would add the whole eastern side of downtown, stretching from The Danforth to Lake Ontario. Not to mention outlying areas like Humber Bay Shores.

Travelling along the 401 from Scarborough Town Centre through to Mississauga City Centre really displays how Toronto (GTA) has become, and is solidifying its place as one of the World's great urban Metropolois'---A powerful Alpha city. Toronto is both aesthetically and philosophically welcoming, culturally diverse, economically potent---A true pleasure to live in.

Driving down the DVP to the Gardiner and on out through the west-end, one gets a sense of the dramatic transformation the city is undergoing. I am constantly amazed by the number of construction cranes erected for developments that are underway, as well as the constant stream of new projects being announced. The skyline from east to west, north to south, is incredible. To imagine that everything will be doubling is mind-boggling.

Toronto has definitely left the provincial mind-set and the constant need for reassurance back in the 1990's where it belongs...This time for good.

Last edited:
I love this list. Thank you guys so much for the dedication of time you obviously have behind it. I think if nothing else it says a lot about the industry in general which I can best describe as very exciting and maybe even more scary. Certainly if you had asked most people they would have never seen this coming 5 years ago, and certainly not in a time of such global uncertainty. Really, really great work, keep it up!

Thanks for the welcome! I have been lurking for a while on and off; you guys seem to have some great discussion here especially about new projects. I find myself getting tunnel vision more and more freaquntly and getting stuck inside the vortex of process that regulatory planning seems pull people into.

Back