News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 448     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

400 foot List

And prior to 2005 there were: 7 buildings over 600'
Current + proposals: 21 buildings over 600', or an increase of 200%.

(This is according to the SSP diagram, there may be other projects not included there)

Can we move Tridel's Hullmark Centre to the "site preparation" category? It is well into the stage.

According to the 400 ft list we will soon have 53 towers over 500ft, thats an amazing jump from a dozen or so. On a list I found Chicago has 79, and NYC 204, so were catching up fast, and passing everyone else in the dust.

According to the 400 ft list we will soon have 53 towers over 500ft, thats an amazing jump from a dozen or so. On a list I found Chicago has 79, and NYC 204, so were catching up fast, and passing everyone else in the dust.

Let alone another 50 or so built, under construction/planned towers between 400ft./122 mtrs. and 500ft./152 mtrs...not to shabby

And for anyone thats not into metric... 100 meters/330 feet and usually buildings between 28 and 38 storeys is a pretty decent height, for instance Exhibit and Nicholas are proposals at that 100 meter height. We in Toronto have over 125 buildings built, under construction, proposed between 330ft./100 mtrs, and 400ft./122 mtrs. and that is not including Toronto's City Hall, which is a hair under 100 meters. Now that is where we are starting to shine over many cities.:)

Last edited:
And for anyone thats not into metric... 100 meters/330 feet and usually buildings between 28 and 38 storeys is a pretty decent height, for instance Exhibit and Nicholas are proposals at that 100 meter height. We in Toronto have over 125 buildings built, under construction, proposed between 330ft./100 mtrs, and 400ft./122 mtrs. and that is not including Toronto's City Hall, which is a hair under 100 meters. Now that is where we are starting to shine over many cities.:)

If somebody does not think that 100m is tall, I suggest that they step onto the roof of a 100m building and look over the edge to the ground below. It's a LONG way down, isn't it? (I have done this, the distance to the ground seems a lot greater than the building's height when looking up.)

According to SSP, there are 277 buildings at least 100m tall in Toronto and Mississauga built, under construction or recently proposed. They can be divided as follows:

250m-299.9m 5 (3 built, 2 under construction)
200m-249.9m 12 (4 built, 6 under construction, 2 proposed)
150m-199.9m 41 (15 built, 9 under construction, 17 proposed)
100m-149.9m 219 (134 built, 31 under construction, 54 proposed)

plus 77 additional buildings between 91.44m (=300 feet) and 99.9m built, under construction or recently proposed

for a total of 354 buildings at least 300 feet tall built, under construction or recently proposed.

There may be additional projects not yet included in the SSP database.

Last edited:
It seems with 400 ft tower s in the mix, we are right there. In five years, we will have how many towers over 300 ft. ?( the old almanac cut off),......354 according to mongo!!! , New york was cut off at 500 ft and still had more than anyone. It used to be I had to study skylines buying old almanacs.
Soon though TO, Chitown, and NYC will be it as far as great skylines in NA.

Last edited:
Even the fact that the "recently completed list", is 25 towers long. HOLY COW!! Thats "we built the pyramids last year" kinda stuff. It usually takes a great war, and the spoils of war to spur such a boom. Like "we beat the Persians , so we built a new capital at Thebes!!!!".

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read elsewhere in this forum, that we have had other booms before......but when 25/50 tallest towers have been constructed in the last five years....there really can't be any comparison to the previous era's....this stands alone, at least if you factor height....which as a skyscraper fan....I do.
Unrelated note, I think Toronto has a very high number of skyscraper geeks, more than most places. i wonder how much growing up in the shadow of the CN tower, is to blame/credit.?? It's been the symbol of TO for 35 years, tallest for almost that long, we grow up straining our necks and eyes looking at , either straight up , or watching for it from afar... I remember driving in from Guelph as a kid...and mom saying...."ok kids, who can spot the CN Tower first".
As opposed to someone from a place without a "worlds tallest"???

yes in North America, but in terms of the world...no chance...Hong Kong, Shanghai (regardless of their questionable architecture), Panama perhaps, and Im sure I am missing a few aside from New York and Chicago.

Unrelated note, I think Toronto has a very high number of skyscraper geeks, more than most places. i wonder how much growing up in the shadow of the CN tower, is to blame/credit.??

count me in on that group! hahaha, I grew up on Bay street in the shadow of many of our towers from that era. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have quite the same appreciation for tall towers that I have today. Saw some of them built right before my eyes, Skydome, SotiaPlaza, and BCE place among others. So I definitely agree with that statement, you really do see buildings in a very different way when you've grow up around them.

Back