News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 486     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any predictions for voter turnout? Keep in mind by-election turnout is usually lower than general elections. Mind you, last October's election was VERY low. Could tonight buck the trend?

Previous turnouts:

2022 - 29.2%
2018 - 40.9%
2014 - 54.7%
2010 - 50.6%
2006 - 39.3%
2003 - 38.3%
The Star reported that the advanced turnout was up 12% from 2022, so I'd guess about 34% total.

If I can do math, about 30% of the total ballots in 2022 were cast in the advanced poll - which closed a couple of weeks ago. If there has been a shift to Bailão in the last few days, this really could increase the hurdle she needs to overcome. It will be interesting to compare the advanced results to the election day results.

The Star reported that the advanced turnout was up 12% from 2022, so I'd guess about 34% total.

If I can do math, about 30% of the total ballots in 2022 were cast in the advanced poll - which closed a couple of weeks ago. If there has been a shift to Bailão in the last few days, this really could increase the hurdle she needs to overcome. It will be interesting to compare the advanced results to the election day results.

I'm curious if the boost in advanced turnout was from voters who are out of town on election day? We will find out in a few hours.

I'm curious if the boost in advanced turnout was from voters who are out of town on election day? We will find out in a few hours.
Possibly - on the other hand, school is still in session this week.

It's been sunny or dry most of the day. I don't think one mid-day storm would make much difference!

I walked past my polling station, and there was a steady stream of people walking to it from all directions.

Property taxes on single family homes are too low - sprawl should subsidize efficient density, not the other way around.
What we need to effect this is a land value tax. Tax the land value of property at some multiple of the rate on improvements--4x has been done in other jurisdictions with success.

The Star has just published a poll tracker. https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ral-election-see-the-latest-poll-results.html

Let's hope it means we will hear less (or nothing) of Councillor Bradford in future (and never hear again from Councillor Perruzza or former Councillor Mammoliti) and that Mr Saunders finally realises that his time as Police Chief is not something to boast of.
If Toronto were interested in former police chiefs becoming mayor, I'd think Bill Blair would have more luck.

It's really not obvious to me that a police chief is a good qualification for being mayor. I tend to think they have a very warped worldview--police tend to have very strange ideas vs "civilians".

I'd wonder if Gong's team is inane enough to wave his signs in front of polling stations as a GOTV move.

(Come to think of it, at Pride yesterday, it almost seems like I saw him arguing with the cops while paused at Church & Bloor--which makes me wonder if Team Gong "crashed the parade"...)

Now back on topic.... I never thought about electing a dog.

101 people and a dog. Now, where have I heard something like that before...

image-w1280.jpg

Voted Bailao just now.
I couldnt believe there were 101 candidates, including someones dog apparently 😂

Election-TO.jpg

Did someone drop out? I'm sure CP24 said 102 the other day! (In either case, it's ridiculous)
I think the 102nd person is the one who tried to register their dog but in actual fact (according to Matt Elliott?) was told that they couldn't actually register a dog so the human registered as a human but promoted it as the dog's campaign.

Back