News   May 01, 2024
 29     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.1K     5 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, anyone else thinking that Ana Bailão is getting major hits for being first on a phone poll that probably lists candidates alphabetically and don't randomize choices?

Good question. I'm not an expert in survey design. I know some polling firms randomize the ordering for each call.

So, anyone else thinking that Ana Bailão is getting major hits for being first on a phone poll that probably lists candidates alphabetically and don't randomize choices?
Obviously I can't know whether a survey is randomizing the order for different recipients, but I can say that the poll calls I have received did not present the candidates alphabetically and in different questions presented the candidates in different orders. And in the last two calls Ana Bailão's name was pronounced incorrectly and 3 different ways.

Unfortunately I don't remember which pollsters were conducting the polls. I don't think I have had one from Mainstreet.

Last edited:
I'm curious how well Gong will perform in Scarborough North and Scarborough Agincourt. I wonder if he can crack the Top 3 in these wards?

Speaking of things "Gong", this may be completely out of line, but I was wondering if anybody's speculated on Falun Gong connections? Because I get a real “Epoch Times” vibe from all of this shadowy Gong omnipresence…

Speaking of things "Gong", this may be completely out of line, but I was wondering if anybody's speculated on Falun Gong connections? Because I get a real “Epoch Times” vibe from all of this shadowy Gong omnipresence…
All this talk of gong has me thinking of Ted.

Last edited:
I feel increasingly ambivalent about this election. Nobody is really inspiring - if anything, I'd say most of the main candidates are fumbling, presenting stale, generic talking points and vague ideas, and the one who actually has some more substance (Matlow) who I'd like to vote for, has no shot at winning. Meh.

Where's Toronto's Nenshi?

Relative advance voter turnout by ward. Somewhat limited as population used is based off 20 or older in 2021 census
advanced voter turnout.png

I feel increasingly ambivalent about this election. Nobody is really inspiring - if anything, I'd say most of the main candidates are fumbling, presenting stale, generic talking points and vague ideas, and the one who actually has some more substance (Matlow) who I'd like to vote for, has no shot at winning. Meh.

Where's Toronto's Nenshi?
I'm still mad that Tory ran in 2022, so it is exciting enough to see a bunch of candidates who are not Tory and also to have hope of a more progressive Mayor to finish out the term. And assuming Chow is elected, Josh Matlow will still be on council and can ideally have some influence where he has substantive ideas.

Back