News   Aug 09, 2024
 879     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 711     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.1K     2 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, that didn't prevent the 1997 municipal election (and the referendum before it) from having the spectre of Mike Harris looming over it.

Plus, there's the matter of what a mayor *would* actually have power to do, vs what a mayor *should* actually have power to do. Which underlies the psychodramas involving the city and Ford today, much as it did involving the city and Harris a quarter century ago.

And...said provincial assets *are* within the city. It isn't like the municipal race is a referendum on Hwy 413 or the Bradford Bypass.

The "would" vs "should" matter is critical in understanding why simply rolling over and playing dead or stating "it's not my job, man" rings false for many.
If people want to waste their time and energy on something that will bare no fruit, have at it.
But they'd be smart to not lose any capital focusing on this and deal with issues that they can do something about that will actually affect people.
Maybe free weekend classes for adults who need a refresher civics classes.

The Mayor who had a wide margin of the vote in back to back elections, highest since Lastman in 2000, is probably still someone who people will listen too.
If John Tory endorses Ana Bailao, I think that announcement would come a few days before Election Day.

We could be hearing about more big endorsement announcements for Bailao soon. I still think she will be the likely winner come June 26th.

If he still had a positive public image he would not have resigned.
John Tory seems like the type of person who would walk away over a scandal regardless of what the public image of him is. Plenty people asked him not to leave office over his affair scandal - sounds like his public image probably isn't in the toilet.

Yes but Tory has baggage.. not the good kind.

If he still had a positive public image he would not have resigned.
He resigned because he thought he should.
He comes from a generation that resigned when they got caught, instead of doubling down, despite how little people cared about the issue.
The only hit to his image here is forcing this by-election to begin with.

Sure you can get Habitat for Humanity involved but they can’t build apartment buildings last time I checked.

They do occasionally partner with a large developer to provide units in condominium buildings. Mirabella Condos (1926 Lake Shore West) is a recent example.

Can't use volunteer labour for these locations but obtaining vacant land in Toronto is also expensive.

I'm not sure thats the kind of endorsement she would want

I wouldn't either, but for a large segment of the city, John Tory represents strength and stability. If you're an older, middle class homeowner in Richview or L'Amoreaux, with the possible exception of crime and inflation, the latter which is outside the mayor's power, you're probably quite content with things.

Keep in mind that nearly half of Toronto voters didn't think Tory had to step down.

I wouldn't either, but for a large segment of the city, John Tory represents strength and stability. If you're an older, middle class homeowner in Richview or L'Amoreaux, with the possible exception of crime and inflation, the latter which is outside the mayor's power, you're probably quite content with things.
Do we have a breakdown of Tory's vote share by income and homeownership status in the last two elections where he annihilated the runner-up?

The Leaside, Rosedale, Sporting Life Yonge PURPLE property-assessments demographic has always been John Tory's most solid voter-base...
Vote_Map_2014.jpg

2014 Results by Ward

JOHN TORY
DOUG FORD
OLIVIA CHOW

Back