245     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 322     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 266     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

Enjoy man vs. tank:

Hope they know how to swim:

PS. This is why they are trapped. Can't cross the river competently.
Some of the crew (the driver / camera operator) appeared to get out but if there were any inside they certainly got wet and the explosion at the end may have killed several too. I find it fascinating that video like this is circulating - hardly good for morale on the home front (and great for morale on the other side!)

Some of the crew (the driver / camera operator) appeared to get out but if there were any inside they certainly got wet and the explosion at the end may have killed several too. I find it fascinating that video like this is circulating - hardly good for morale on the home front (and great for morale on the other side!)
It's fantastic. I'm going to sit with my popcorn and watch with glee as the horror for the Russians continues to slowly unfold, village by village.

Ukrainian forces also advancing on the critical Russian-occupied assault hub of Izyum.

It's fantastic. I'm going to sit with my popcorn and watch with glee as the horror for the Russians continues to slowly unfold, village by village.

Honestly, much as I might joke about some of this, my heart breaks for the tragic loss of life. All for what?

I hope this destroys Russia as a colonial power so that we never see this kind of death and destruction propagated by them again.

Honestly, much as I might joke about some of this, my heart breaks for the tragic loss of life. All for what?

I hope this destroys Russia as a colonial power so that we never see this kind of death and destruction propagated by them again.
or other 'world powers' - we should not forget that it's not so long ago that our chums the Americans were 'peacekeeping' all over the place and that many 'innocent lives' were lost there too. This time the invaders may be Russians but that has not always been the case!

or other 'world powers' - we should not forget that it's not so long ago that our chums the Americans were 'peacekeeping' all over the place and that many 'innocent lives' were lost there too. This time the invaders may be Russians but that has not always been the case!

Sorry. Disagree with this kind of equivalency. And it's a regular Russian talking point. "If the Americans can invade Iraq, why can't we invade Ukraine?"

1) Two wrongs don't make a right. The US really should not have invaded Iraq.

2) The US hasn't fought wars for territorial expansion in generations. Very different from Putin's revanchist Russia, trying to remake the Russian Empire.

3) The US military doesn't actively target civilians or civilian infrastructure. They don't indiscriminately shell cities. The majority of their missiles weren't aimed at civilian targets. They weren't running "filtration camps" in Iraq and Afghanistan or deporting millions of civilians, the way Russia is right now.

I get that it's fashionable to hate on the US. But this kind of false equivalency strains credulity. Especially coming from Canadians inhabiting a resource rich country, substantially defended by the US (NORAD) and sharing an undefended border. What do you think would happen if we were beside Russia or China?

The Americans aren't perfect. And they should be called out when they are wrong. But saying they are no different than the Russians is a stretch.

Sorry. Disagree with this kind of equivalency. And it's a regular Russian talking point. "If the Americans can invade Iraq, why can't we invade Ukraine?"

1) Two wrongs don't make a right. The US really should not have invaded Iraq.

2) The US hasn't fought wars for territorial expansion in generations. Very different from Putin's revanchist Russia, trying to remake the Russian Empire.

3) The US military doesn't actively target civilians or civilian infrastructure. They don't indiscriminately shell cities. The majority of their missiles weren't aimed at civilian targets. They weren't running "filtration camps" in Iraq and Afghanistan or deporting millions of civilians, the way Russia is right now.

I get that it's fashionable to hate on the US. But this kind of false equivalency strains credulity. Especially coming from Canadians inhabiting a resource rich country, substantially defended by the US (NORAD) and sharing an undefended border. What do you think would happen if we were beside Russia or China?

The Americans aren't perfect. And they should be called out when they are wrong. But saying they are no different than the Russians is a stretch.
I certainly did not say (or mean) that the Russian invasion of Ukraine and any recent American 'overseas missions' are the same but, as you say, "Americans (and Canadians) are not perfect" and I think it lessens the argument if we do not remember a bit more world history.

There are reports, which as yet, I cannot confirm of mass surrenders of Russian soldiers near Izyum.

We should know the extent/truth of this by sometime tomorrow.

Pour one out for all those who said arming the Ukrainians would be pointless, that we should just give Putin his sphere of influence and just surrender Ukrainians to the Russian boot. Their moral cowardice was bipartisan. From Kissinger to Chomsky. And from some supposedly smart people like Mearsheimer and supposedly really smart folks at Rand Corp who get paid millions to figure this stuff out.

I'm reminded of this quote that almost perfectly describes a ton of Western academia, think tanks and politicians, most of whom haven't ever served:

“The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards". - Sir William Francis Butler

Incidentally, that quote also is fantastic at describing the Russian officer corps who eschew intellectualism for corruption, nepotism and machismo. I think it's telling that Ukraine's army of citizens, filled with school teachers, accountants, professors and musicians is kicking the backside of a military whose ads verge on homoerotica. All while their Western professional peers were willing to write them off.

Kupyansk has been liberated. The larger Russian force to the south in Izyum is now isolated, and even worse, they can no longer supply their forces all the way in Kherson. Pardon me for saying so, but this a really big f*cking deal. Brilliant strategy and execution by the Ukrainian military to enable what will wind up as a crushing, humiliating defeat for the much vaunted Russian army.

Back