News   May 03, 2024
 775     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 496     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 247     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

Given the rather silly tangent above......I''ll put in my pitch for ......I don't care whose calendar takes precedence, so long as it vaguely makes sense........and is agreeable to most.

But could we possibly manage one calendar as a species and move on.....?

Really, I don't think its too much to ask that we agree on what day it is.

(in point of fact we do, because one calendar is used for science and airline flights etc.) ; but I'm not a big fan of any religion or nationality carrying on a parallel system.

(in point of fact we do, because one calendar is used for science and airline flights etc.) ; but I'm not a big fan of any religion or nationality carrying on a parallel system.
Carrying on the tangent . . . I really don't see an issue if a certain group chooses to use a calendar, system of measurement or whatever for internal purposes. It's up to them to make accommodations if they want to interact with the larger world; and they seem to be okay with that.

The French et al used the Paris Meridian for hundreds of years for cartography and navigation before international convention moved it to Greenwich. They, reluctantly, recognized that they needed to make the transition or be an outlier.

Russia blames its own for getting killed.
Russia's Defence Ministry said on Wednesday that 89 service members were killed in the Ukrainian attack on Makiivka in the Moscow-controlled parts of the Donetsk region, adding the main reason for the attack was unauthorized use of mobile phones by the troops.
Note that the above "unauthorized use" may very likely be true, but it is also very likely true these were poorly-trained recent conscripts living in miserable conditions with little to no support from the Russian military which sent them there. Those cell phone calls may have been their last time speaking with loved ones. It's such a heartless thing to accuse them of getting themselves killed, but it's par for the course from the Moscow elite now. Ukraine reports the Russian death count was significantly higher, possibly 400, but there's no independent confirmation of either sides' claims yet.

Last edited:
Every Russian needs to understand that if they or their sons, fathers or brothers enter Ukraine, they’re almost certainly going to die.

A while back I read that the average life expectancy for a Russian conscript in Ukraine is 2 days.

The latest estimate I saw for Russian KIA was 102,000.

At the current rate of casualties, they might end up with a quarter million by next Christmas. Afghanistan broke the Soviet Union with far fewer losses of men, materiel and rubles.

From The Economist:

Mr Putin’s war is turning Russia into a failed state, with uncontrolled borders, private military formations, a fleeing population, moral decay and the possibility of civil conflict. And though confidence among Western leaders in Ukraine’s ability to withstand Mr Putin’s terror has gone up, there is growing concern about Russia’s own ability to survive the war. It could become ungovernable and descend into chaos.

Carrying on the tangent . . . I really don't see an issue if a certain group chooses to use a calendar, system of measurement or whatever for internal purposes. It's up to them to make accommodations if they want to interact with the larger world; and they seem to be okay with that.

The French et al used the Paris Meridian for hundreds of years for cartography and navigation before international convention moved it to Greenwich. They, reluctantly, recognized that they needed to make the transition or be an outlier.

Slightly OT - well they got their "revenge" back with SI.

AoD

Giddy up!

Russian conscripts are about to see their life expectancy drop substantially.

Giddy up!

Russian conscripts are about to see their life expectancy drop substantially.
Bradleys and Marders, nice! Can Leopard 2s be far behind?

Bradleys and Marders, nice! Can Leopard 2s be far behind?

Hopefully not too far behind. But the Bradleys could well be enough given the way the Russians are fighting. Keep in mind that combining Bradleys with the tanks that Ukraine has and the tank destroyers the French are sending (AMX-10RC), along with the additional HIMARS promised in October, the Ukrainian Army is going to have a very lethal force in the Summer. This is shaping up to be enough to take back all of the Donbas and Zaporizhzhia.

Hopefully not too far behind. But the Bradleys could well be enough given the way the Russians are fighting. Keep in mind that combining Bradleys with the tanks that Ukraine has and the tank destroyers the French are sending (AMX-10RC), along with the additional HIMARS promised in October, the Ukrainian Army is going to have a very lethal force in the Summer. This is shaping up to be enough to take back all of the Donbas and Zaporizhzhia.
How many more HIMARS were promised?

Back