News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 368     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

It's hilarious how the knives are already out for Trudeau within his own party, as there's already open talk of recruiting Mark Carney as their new leader if they lose the fall election.

Being a successful bureaucrat does not necessarily translate into a successful politician, let alone a party leader.

That's the kind of result we will get. The best outcome for Canada is a minority parliament. No one deserves full power at this point.

That's the kind of result we will get. The best outcome for Canada is a minority parliament. No one deserves full power at this point.
That just means another election a year later. Paul Martin’s 2004 minority lasted 479 days (helped by a fractured opposition). Stephen Harper did better as his minority government faced a fractured and split opposition of NDP, Bloc and Libs.

A minority government in 2019 is unlikely, as no one is voting NDP this time around, and the Greens have spent their powder. It’s going to be a Con or Lib slim majority, IMO.

I had no issue with minority government Harper.

A minority government in 2019 is unlikely, as no one is voting NDP this time around, and the Greens have spent their powder. It’s going to be a Con or Lib slim majority, IMO.

You really think they will be wiped out?

Well it only took 19 NDP seats in 2004 for a minority.

Though that was augmented by a whole lot of Bloc seats. But more to the point, it only took 3 Green seats for an NDP minority in the last BC election.

And it'd be farfetched to say that "no one is voting NDP this time around"--that way, Jagmeet would have to underpoll Audrey McLaughlin, and even she was good enough for eking out 9 seats. And it'd take an *awful* lot of scare tactics to drive *all* the left into the Liberal camp in the name of a US-style strict binary race.

You really think they will be wiped out?
Yes. The growing strength of the Greens provincially will convince many would be NDP voters that a vote for the federal Greens is a viable choice, thus splitting and eradicating the leftist vote. Meanwhile, any past Liberal voters thinking of supporting the NDP will be scared of Conservative win and be driven back to the Liberals.

Yes. The growing strength of the Greens provincially will convince many would be NDP voters that a vote for the federal Greens is a viable choice, thus splitting and eradicating the leftist vote. Meanwhile, any past Liberal voters thinking of supporting the NDP will be scared of Conservative win and be driven back to the Liberals.

I doubt it. Particularly where NDP incumbents are in place (and particularly in such places where there's no real Green infrastructure--it's not like Windsor is prepped for such a surge)

I couldn't find it now, but to confirm the Harper giant omnibus budget bill theory, I looked at the length of the average budget under Harper in minority, Harper in majority, and Trudeau.
Surprisingly to those who listen to the news, the Harper minority and majority were very close. Trudeau had the longest average budget bills.

I just watched the closing ceremony for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. I thought Trudeau spoke and acted with respect, dare I say it Prime Ministerial. I'm not sure I could see Scheer on that podium.

Back