News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

I just watched the closing ceremony for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. I thought Trudeau spoke and acted with respect, dare I say it Prime Ministerial. I'm not sure I could see Scheer on that podium.

That is because that is what Trudeau loves to do.

Trudeau just apologizes for the past that he has no connection to but does not apologize for things he does wrong himself.

I can't see Scheer making a speech with much of any conviction.

Also, I see that Cooper's bozo eruption has already become fundraising material. I am wondering if taking away a committee assignment doesn't go far enough. Remember how conservative types were complaining that Trudeau was playing the bigot card on Scheer? Well, one of his MP's has become a liability.

I can't see Scheer making a speech with much of any conviction.

Also, I see that Cooper's bozo eruption has already become fundraising material. I am wondering if taking away a committee assignment doesn't go far enough. Remember how conservative types were complaining that Trudeau was playing the bigot card on Scheer? Well, one of his MP's has become a liability.

Well The federal liberals have no other cards to play...

Justin Trudeau Personality is more of a liability than an asset for the liberals right now.

If 2019 is about whether Justin Trudeau deserves a 2nd term or not, I think that is an election they would lose.

So, they have to change the script to "we need to stop the Conservatives from getting back"

Trudeau just apologizes for the past that he has no connection to but does not apologize for things he does wrong himself.
Of course. You don’t win elections by admitting to and apologizing for your own wrongdoing.

Jasmine, I think you’re going to be sorely disappointed in October when Canadians reject your POV and vote Trudeau back in with a majority. Ford has derailed Scheer in Ontario and the Greens are splitting the NDP vote. As long as Quebec votes Liberal I’d say Trudeau wins.

Another few Con gaffes like this and no one will remember SNC. As it is, any perception of his maltreatment of JWR as the first indigenous MoJ will be countered by Trudeau's positive stance on the MMIWG report.

This doesn't help either. A reminder of the Con's refusal to launch an inquiry into our indigenous women and girls who are missing and murdered.

Yes - a reminder of how smart the previous Conservative government was to no have an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women and girls.
How could any responsible government allow the term "genocide" to be used to describe predominately indigenous men murdering indigenous women - and police finding the perpetrators at roughly the same percentage as murders in the general population.

Another few Con gaffes like this and no one will remember SNC. As it is, any perception of his maltreatment of JWR as the first indigenous MoJ will be countered by Trudeau's positive stance on the MMIWG report.

At least Harper knew how to rein in the bozo eruptions for the most part.

How could any responsible government allow the term "genocide" to be used to describe predominately indigenous men murdering indigenous women - and police finding the perpetrators at roughly the same percentage as murders in the general population.
The only issue I have with the use of the term genocide is the distraction it serves for those seeking low hanging fruit. In that regard I wish they'd never used the term, since every simpleton is shouting about that instead of reading the report and considering its recommendations. Its author's should have considered that. So, why not read the report before gravitating towards the obvious?

That said, whilst the specific issue of MMIWG may or may not be, I must state that Canada's overall treatment of its indigenous people was genocide. John A. MacDonald himself said....
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense,” Macdonald told the House of Commons in 1882.

Last edited:
The problem here is people have gotten swept into a circle jerk over semantics over terms then look at the actual core issue.

Those women got murdered and it happened again and again due to indifference...

The problem here is people have gotten swept into a circle jerk over semantics over terms then look at the actual core issue.

Those women got murdered and it happened again and again due to indifference...

I don't think they realize how out of touch with the common folk they sound and are acting. You can cut the arrogance and condescension on here with a knife. The whole nation is on a right wing trajectory and the CPC will likely pick up new seats in places not even currently forecast they'll do well in. The Toronto-Quebec Party just doesn't have the same sway and influence as they used to.

Alberta's grievances need to be taken more seriously though. Quebec constantly puts its thumbs on the scale, whether it be in blocking oil line capacity, excluding hydro potential from being counted in equalization, blocking English school boards from receiving immigrant students (and then seizing their schools), or even shielding large corporations and agricultural concerns in their province. Good for them, but bad for Canada.

It only takes a divergence of values and a long-held grievance to be emotionally promulgated through society by media and the government for a generation, and then you've suddenly got a separatist problem at hand. You can sort of see how these movements emerged in Quebec, Catalonia and Scotland over the last century (and in the case of Scotland, in the years after Thatcher). It only takes a small minority to push a cause- indeed, most Algerians supported or at least tolerated the French until a series of serious blunders in the immediate post-war period caused their loyalties to shift.

With a perceivably Quebec-friendly Liberal government in power, the UAP is in the position to constantly bang on the war-drums whenever it encounters a problem, much like how Ford uses the Carbon Tax as a scapegoat. That being said, the media will play a crucial role in this, and hopefully media will be more impartial. Regardless, the Americans will likely keep an eye on this, especially if it goes anywhere- a weak, divided Canada is good for America.

Continuing on this, an interesting article:

As Alberta’s anger deepens, it gets harder to turn off
Elite-driven calls for separation and a referendum on equalization will only stoke divisiveness, setting the stage for lingering conflict with Ottawa.
Melanee Thomas June 5, 2019

Alberta’s politics can be perplexing for Canadians outside the province. It is and isn’t a conservative place. Outside of 2015, voters here have cast ballots overwhelmingly for conservative parties and identify more strongly with them, yet when asked how they think and feel about issues, Albertans are consistently pretty moderate and sometimes pretty left-leaning.
The 2019 election presented an entirely different context. The PC dynasty had been rolled into the new United Conservative Party (UCP), led by Jason Kenney. A tepid economy was presented as a distinct issue, divorced from social concerns. This was effective for the UCP: despite its vulnerabilities on questions of equity, diversity and ethics, many Albertans were sufficiently angry about the economy to support the UCP in spite of these problems. A large part of the reason is that conservative parties in Canada are perceived to be more competent at economic issues than are other parties, especially the NDP.
It would be foolish for federal parties and Canadians in other provinces to dismiss the power that economic anger can have in structuring election results.
When the economy was booming in Alberta in 2012, it was unthinkable that a party courting homophobes, white nationalists and climate change deniers would form government. Remove the safety of a strong economy, though, and the issues that voters prioritize change. While it might be tempting to argue that Canadians outside of Alberta are more progressive on these issues, research consistently shows that western Canadians are about as socially and fiscally progressive as Ontarians. Supermajorities of Albertans think that more should be done to reduce the pay gap between men and women (82 percent); to reduce the gap between the rich and the poor (78 percent); to bring more women into politics (74 percent); and to help Indigenous people (55 percent). These views simply weren’t activated during the provincial election campaign. There’s no good reason to expect that the voters prepared to overlook a party’s vulnerabilities on social equality are confined to Alberta, nor is there good reason to expect that this pattern would be any different in other provinces or during a federal election.

What is different is where Alberta’s anger about the economy manifests in federal politics. From the 1915 “Milch Cow” cartoon to schadenfreudeacross Canada as Alberta’s economy cooled, anger is also the motivating emotion in western alienation.
Some Albertans perceive that condescending elites in central Canada want to take Alberta’s money while, paradoxically, keeping the province from making it; or they think those elites are making it easy for British Columbia to build a liquefied natural gas pipeline while blocking pipeline access for Alberta.
None of this alienation is very new. What is new, though, is an elite-driven call for a referendum on equalization, coupled with an elite-driven call for Alberta to separate if it doesn’t get its way. Interestingly, the groups of Albertans most likely to support calls for a referendum on equalization are the same as those who are most angry about the economy: men, and those with a high school education or less.
Playing on Albertans’ economic insecurities and feelings of alienation clearly produces a short-term political payoff. It was very effective for the UCP’s 2019 election campaign, in part because the party could link Rachel Notley directly to Justin Trudeau, given the Notley government’s choice to work collaboratively with the federal government. This anger and alienation will likely continue to be activated during the 2019 federal election campaign, both by Kenney and by the Conservative Party of Canada’s campaign.

The difficulty is that, once activated, these emotions cannot be easily dissipated.
This should temper assumptions that once western premiers like Kenney can work with a prime minister of the same bent, like Andrew Scheer, equalization will cease to be an issue. The Albertans who think that other parts of Canada get looked after first, before Alberta, regardless of who’s in government, are the same demographic group as those who are most likely to be angry and alienated. While partisanship may do some work to blunt the anger of these voters – already, some appear to accept Kenney’s claims that the federal carbon tax is “better” than the provincial version and that Bill C-69 (with the Senate’s amendments) is now acceptable – it is plausible that they may turn on Kenney if their economic expectations continue to go unmet, regardless of who is prime minister. Worse, if the Alberta government loses the federal government as a punching bag while boom-time oil and gas jobs remain elusive, Kenney could be accused of “misguided diplomacy” as easily as Notley was.

While having lunch at Wendy's today, I saw something interesting. I work in Don Valley West riding, which is represented by Wynne on the provincial level and also has a large Arab population. There was a flyer for the CPC candidate on the table I was at and one side of it was mostly in Arabic. It also made lots of promises to new immigrants in terms of easy citizenship and getting jobs. I found it interesting, since the party often projects the exact opposite sentiment.

The PPC has issues...

Last edited:
While having lunch at Wendy's today, I saw something interesting. I work in Don Valley West riding, which is represented by Wynne on the provincial level and also has a large Arab population. There was a flyer for the CPC candidate on the table I was at and one side of it was mostly in Arabic. It also made lots of promises to new immigrants in terms of easy citizenship and getting jobs. I found it interesting, since the party often projects the exact opposite sentiment.

The PPC has issues...

As an alleged former CPC supporter, you should know fully well that the same immigrant outreach folk that were around during the early Harper years are still affiliated with and influence the party's policies. It's not simply pandering to garner votes, it's part and parcel apart of the CPC's makeup nowadays.

Every party has fringe elements. I no more am disillusioned about the CPC's or PPC's than I am the Green's, NDP's and especially the Liberals. Just that one side gets all that magnification by the talking heads while ignoring the Left's kooks, which include the Green member from Nanaimo-Ladysmith who's political views were too kooky even for the NDP. It'd do you well not to view politics in absolutes of black and white, but in shades of grey.

Back