News   Jul 17, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 602     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

Murray, or whomever was advising him, overlooked that small chunk CN Rail continues to own. 15 minute off-peak was still unlikely but 15 minute rush frequencies with hourly off-peak probably would have; diesel of course.

I think Metrolinx staff are finding it's far harder to build a railway than they thought it would be. That said, they've also made some progress and the $20B network wide estimate appears, from a distance, to include the tricky pieces which were previously ignored.
It doesn't really matter. Either it was overlooked, and we are talking incompetence, or it was known, and we are talking about lying to gain votes. Both are bad.

In late 2017, the Director of Kitchener Corridor Infrastructure was estimating 7 years to complete (http://www.cbc.ca/1.4424951). This is prior to any feasibility study even being complete!

Last edited:
I was initially inclined to firmly reject the Greens, even for my occasional throwaway vote, with what Liz May has become. But the Ontario Greens actually seem to be better than their national counterparts.

If this is indeed shaping up to be a change election, I can see all three of the Tories, NDP and Greens performing well. We'll need vote splits to topple the Liberals.

If there's a party that's promising more transit expansion at a faster pace than the Liberals I'd be happy to give their platform a look. So far that party doesn't seem to exist. I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

If there's a party that's promising more transit expansion at a faster pace than the Liberals I'd be happy to give their platform a look. So far that party doesn't seem to exist. I'd love to be proven wrong on that.
The People Guarantee mentioned that the current planning process is too long?

The Liberals shortened the Environmental Assessment process for transit projects, such as the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. Even bicycle lanes and paths projects are shorter, if, and only if, the local politicians and NIMBY's don't try to put up roadblocks.

One has to consider that a lot of information about these projects is not known to politicians when they make these promises. Considering all the NIMBYISM that has been seen throughout the GTA, I am pleasantly surprised by how well they've done so far considering previous governments (Mike Harris). Could it be better? Absolutely, but within reason, they are doing a fair job considering their political positions.

But without actually committing funding to the projects that are needed, what good is a faster planning process? A faster drawing board to shelf cycle?

Goodbye Finch. Hello grade separated Eglinton.
I wish - but I think its too late for that.
Although there is precedence for a new government cancelling a previous governments plans, and paying penalties (i.e. Harris Eglinton Subway, Chretien Helicopters). There is only one example I can think of where a government cancels their own plans at a cost of $B (gas plant).

My bet is that a putative Premier Ford pushes GO RER and the Scarborough Subway. Possibly Sheppard and Yonge North beyond that. I don't think the DRL would be a priority for him.

I think all GTA LRTs that don't have shovels in the ground are at risk.

^ I agree. The suburban voters are far to important and RER caters to them as does ST. I can see him continuing or even expanding on the RER system by totally grade separating them so he is bringing "subways, subways, subways" to the suburbs which in of itself wouldn't be a bad thing. Any future LRTs {except possible Hurontario} will be canned as will the DRL. I can also see him wanting to grade separate the entire Eglinton line from Kennedy to Jane which of course it should be.

Of course, I think Ford will result in another Liberal or potential NDP government.

Back