News   Jul 12, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Strike has been ‘overwhelming’ for students: College Student Alliance

Codi Wilson, CP24.com
Published Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:52AM EST

As the Ontario college strike nears its fifth week, students say they are becoming increasingly anxious about how they will be able to complete their semester.

Speaking to CP24 on Thursday morning, Joel Willet, the president of the College Student Alliance, said students never anticipated being out of the classroom this long.

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/str...r-students-college-student-alliance-1.3670435

I remember when York University had their strike.

Nobody I knew even considered going to York University after that. The university was black listed from applications in the minds of many.

I think around the same time, Ryerson surpassed York in prestige. York has a reputation now for being the easiest Toronto university to get in to.

Such are the consequences of a post-secondary school strike.

Reputations can definitely have a lasting effect that continues for future generations of students. There's a very specific saying about York I think we all know about. Although, I guess one of their saving graces is that Schulich is still among the top business schools in the province/country.

Ryerson has been making forward strides in the last 10 years, and also benefits from having a more centralized urban location in the city.

However, with the college strike affecting every associated institution in Ontario, the magnitude of this impact is on an even higher level IMO. And a lot of fingers will be pointed towards the premier for sure. Apart from the students themselves, there are also the parents/families of the students along with union and workers whose perspective towards the upcoming election will be critical.

With the way it sounds like OPSEU will most likely be voting no on the proposed offer next week, it looks like the semester is one step closer to being lost. I wouldn't be surprised if Wynne, Matthews and team are out of the office next year.

That poll gives me a sliver of hops that we won't be saddled with a conservative government next year...

That poll gives me a sliver of hops that we won't be saddled with a conservative government next year...

I think you just read the headline and didn't delve into the article. The polls are virtually unchanged. +/- 4% won't decide the election. And Wynne still has an abysmal 65% disapproval rating to get over. Trump has higher approval ratings and he's allegedly the most unpopular President in US history.

I realize all media publications are bias; however I find the Star editorial has become obnoxious in it’s political partisanship of late. Pretty neat how the Star continuously updates us every week and creates a platform for the third party attack ads against Patrick Brown just as the funding limits on said third parties start coming into force. Looking forward to dozens more articles about the ads published in the Star prior to the election. Who knows maybe every day in the week leading up to the election ;)

Easy there. Pretty sure he meant a PCPO minority gov't.
A Minority means political horse trading - and the Liberals do politics quite well.
Remember Frank Miller getting the most seats in 1985. Most seats for the PC's.
Liberals and NDP teamed up to make Liberals the government.

Back