News   Aug 09, 2024
 189     1 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 390     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 547     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

The Unemployment rate in USA indicates the economy now is better then in the Regean and Clinton Boom years.

Yet Trump and Bernie got a ton of support in 2016...

So I call bullshit on the unemployment numbers....not for being fake just not being accurate of the new normal;

The only way to sort this out is to collect or report data differently. Feelings and anectodal evidence don't cut it.

The Unemployment rate in USA indicates the economy now is better then in the Regean and Clinton Boom years.

Yet Trump and Bernie got a ton of support in 2016...

So I call bullshit on the unemployment numbers....not for being fake just not being accurate of the new normal;
I've seen this graph before on why the USA was unhappy.

module6-2%20labour%20force%20partic%20rate.png

Which they say they would compensate by reintroducing the provincial subsidy to the TTC that the PC took away and the Liberals never brought back

Right, but the Liberals also increased the share of the gas tax for municipalities, so I'm not sure how it represents an NDP urban outflanking.

The liberals increasing the share of the gas tax isn't even close to compensate for denying the tolls. Subsidizing the TTC is.

It gets the city more money much sooner with much greater flexibility than road tolls would have.

It gets the city more money much sooner with much greater flexibility than road tolls would have.
Obviously, city council isn't thrilled about it for a reason. Also, provincial subsidy of the TTC was always the better option for the city. Once they accepted it was never coming back, raising money became the obvious option, hence the tolls. Sure gas tax helps now, nut in the long term, it's insufficient. Bring back the subsidy to the TTC or let us put tolls

Obviously, city council isn't thrilled about it for a reason. Also, provincial subsidy of the TTC was always the better option for the city. Once they accepted it was never coming back, raising money became the obvious option, hence the tolls. Sure gas tax helps now, nut in the long term, it's insufficient. Bring back the subsidy to the TTC or let us put tolls

I'm fully supportive of really any scenario that gets the city more money, but I just can't get onboard with the notion that road tolls are the cure-all that'll unleash this incredible wave of Toronto transit spending that we so desperately need - that's a fiction that Tory has peddled from the start of the debate and it's taken root.

The plain truth is that the vast majority of the revenue from the road tolls was going to be dedicated to (and wasted on) the reconstruction of the Gardiner East.

But, yes, lots of other provincial-municipal cost sharing should (and I believe will) be on the table. Remember that the provincial election precedes the mayoral, so it's reasonable to assume that there's more money coming for Toronto.

Patrick Brown is going rather hard on getting the minority votes in the suburbs.

Seen him at a ton of local community events (indian) and never saw Tim Hudak.

So it seems liberals will be fighting a multi front war in 2018 (that usually does not work out well historically lol)

Back