News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

We're at a point where most children in Catholic school are from families who are only nominally Catholic, and simply want a better education for their kids
This is interesting, because I would make the same claim about French Immersion schools. Wealthy parents are the ones who send their kids to French Immersion schools for better education nowadays.

It boggles my mind that the left has learned nothing from the election of Donald Trump. Calling people "low-information voters" because they are concerned about hydro prices and their ability to afford the same is exactly why you saw rust-belt states vote Republican for the first time in a generation. Democrats dismissed their valid concerns and labelled them deplorables and worse. They continue to do that to this day, for the most part.

This is what I'm concerned about- the current situation in Ontario mirrors a lot of the Rust Belt states going into the 2016 Presidential election- a constant stream of manufacturing job losses and their replacement with lower-quality part-time ones (see the loss of 600 jobs today at GM).

Frequent news of governmental incompetence and a government, who according to Steve Paikin, is concerned very much with social justice and the environment- even going so far as to emphasize it over the economy.

And finally as an Ontario-specific cherry, we have issues of high housing prices and the whole hydro debacle.

Yes- the conditions are right for an "establishment" (Liberal) overturn. That was what the US election was about- the DC establishment/ the Obama Legacy vs Trump and his firebrand outsider populism.

Thankfully Wynne might not be as daft as Hilary (she hasn't insulted anyone so far), but the Liberal's actions do make it feel like they're are out of touch with Ontarians' concerns- and are basically thrashing around trying to survive.

Last edited:
The Liberals have 4 OPP investigations against them..

Add in numerous scandals that are borderline 'third world' like corruption.

Imo voting for progressive values does not mean you have to tolerate scandal and corruption.

I dont see how the liberals can win a majority though this time...they really have turned off a lot of the electorate compared to before

I do however worry that American style language will be used in the next election.

I have seen the tone of language used against Wynne really turn sourt and ugly since the US election #nastywomen and others from people.

Mother Wynne has nothing to worry about in the next election. She will be saved by the '416 fools'
I'll be one of those fools if Patrick Brown calls for terminating the Greenbelt and Places to Grow Acts, as well as the cancellation of various LRT lines.

Corrupt or not, I will not vote for regressing 20 years in policy again.

The GM announcement moving jobs to Mexico couldn't have come at a worse time, IMO.

Of course, but I can't wait to see the call for protectionist measures coming from those shopping at Walmart/Amazon, watches Netflix, eat at McDs and complain on facebook all while saying we should have (still relatively) high-paying, union jobs at American-based auto companies once bailed out and still partly subsidized, directly or indirectly, by the government.

Having said that, the suffering is real - just that I am not convinced anyone has any realistic plans to address the problem. To really deal with it you need to have a strong social safety net because in the current world whatever service job you are going to acquire (because like it or not, manufacturing will be automated more and more) is not going to be all that high paying - and driving your taxes lower to acquire those positions is probably counterproductive. None of the parties have expressed an appetite for that kind of policy change.

AoD

Last edited:
Bh9gBYun_normal.jpg
Tabatha Southey@TabathaSouthey
22 hours ago
"First and foremost: Ontario does not have the highest rates in North America…”

https://looniepolitics.com/to-fix-high-electricity-prices-we-need-to-tell-the-truth/

Don’t take my word for it: the conservative Toronto Sun reported on Hydro Québec’s estimates, writing, “Its 2016 survey found electricity prices for residential customers in Toronto of 17.81 cents per kilowatt hour and in Ottawa of 16.15 cents per kilowatt hour. This was higher than in Vancouver (10.70); Calgary (10.40); Edmonton (10.37); Regina (14.65); Winnipeg (8.43); Montreal (7.23); Halifax (15.88); Moncton (12.50); Charlottetown (16.02); St. John’s (11.96)…However, Toronto’s and Ottawa’s electricity rates were lower than in San Francisco (31.05); Detroit (20.24); Boston (27.69) and New York (29.52)”.

The Globe and Mail broadens the comparisons even further: “Ontario rates are generally significantly lower than those across the border in New York and about half what Germans, Danes or Italians pay”.

We live in an alternative facts world. The truth doesnt matter.

That maybe a fact, but rapid increase in electricity prices (and the uneven impact of the increase) is also real - and it should be addressed.

Electricity planning has always been problematic in Ontario (Ontario Hydro - troubled nuclear programme, breakup and failed privatization, energy crunch and crash conservation and green energy programme that didn't seem to foresee effect of conservation, etc). It's a multi-decadal issue.

AoD

That maybe a fact, but rapid increase in electricity prices (and the uneven impact of the increase) is also real - and it should be addressed.

Electricity planning has always been problematic in Ontario (Ontario Hydro - troubled nuclear programme, breakup and failed privatization, energy crunch and crash conservation and green energy programme that didn't seem to foresee effect of conservation, etc). It's a multi-decadal issue.

AoD

That's not the point. If you want to be taken seriously on an issue state the truth instead of lies and half truths. Facts are irrelevant these days.

Of course, but I can't wait to see the call for protectionist measures coming from those shopping at Walmart/Amazon, watches Netflix, eat at McDs and complain on facebook all while saying we should have (still relatively) high-paying, union jobs at American-based auto companies once bailed out and still partly subsidized, directly or indirectly, by the government.

Having said that, the suffering is real - just that I am not convinced anyone has any realistic plans to address the problem. To really deal with it you need to have a strong social safety net because in the current world whatever service job you are going to acquire (because like it or not, manufacturing will be automated more and more) is not going to be all that high paying - and driving your taxes lower to acquire those positions is probably counterproductive. None of the parties have expressed an appetite for that kind of policy change.

AoD

This directly plays into O'Leary's comments- he'll be saying now that "Oh wow, where are all the auto investments? Look at the loss of jobs here- Wynne has made Ontario uncompetitive!"

Again, we might not have the highest prices in the province (ignore Patrick Brown's rhetoric), but we do now have the highest prices in Canada- and that should be an ongoing concern to everyone.

This directly plays into O'Leary's comments- he'll be saying now that "Oh wow, where are all the auto investments? Look at the loss of jobs here- Wynne has made Ontario uncompetitive!"
Again, we might not have the highest prices in the province (ignore Patrick Brown's rhetoric), but we do now have the highest prices in Canada- and that should be an ongoing concern to everyone.

Of course it does. That's the soundbite people dig - so what's he going to do, make Canada competitive in wages like Mexico or China? He should try that.

That's not the point. If you want to be taken seriously on an issue state the truth instead of lies and half truths. Facts are irrelevant these days.

Challenge the falsehood by all means - but the fact in this case (not the highest hydro prices) is not equivalent to another fact (some people who have no reason to be suffering are). That is the point. Saying the former does not make a difference in the livelihoods to the latter.

AoD

Back