News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

If I wanted that particular sort of stability in any sort of real manifestation I'd move to China.
Which? You haven't indicated what that refers to.
The government (of Ontario) held a referendum on this recommendation in conjunction with the general election of 10 October 2007. The result was to be binding if the proposed electoral system was selected in at least 60% of all the valid referendum ballots cast and in more than 50% of the valid referendum ballots cast in each of at least 64 electoral districts. However, the alternative electoral system proposed by the Citizens’ Assembly garnered only 36.9% of the popular vote, while the existing FPTP system received 63.1% of the popular vote. (19)
https://lop.parl.ca/content/lop/researchpublications/prb0417-e.htm

See also:
http://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/es/esd/esd01/esd01a/esd01a01

The pros and cons of Canada's first-past-the-post electoral system

An all out civil war is setting up within the Conservatives. What I'm worried about is the old adage: "all press is good press". Does this exposure help the Conservatives?

Which? You haven't indicated what that refers to.

Why, the stability of (false, in our case) majority governments, of course! Hence the invocation of China. I read your comment as implying that FPTP was more stable in that sense.

So, "that" was the same sort of stability you were talking about.

Unless, of course, you meant the stability of clear winners and losers, in which case my invocation of China doubly applies.

Also, I'm aware of that 2007 referendum. I voted in it (you can guess how, no points--too easy). I'm interested in what will play out on Prince Edward Island after they had a referendum result in the positive for electoral reform. Of course, it was non-binding and also had low voter turnout, so it's a bit of a wash, unfortunately. Meaning it's no surprise nothing has happened with it. Though, the next provincial election there could be very telling as to how those folk will be proceeding (ie, finally entering this century).

All I want is my votes to count. Apparently I'm eligible to have a voice in this country as a citizen of well over 18 years of age. Funny, I haven't gotten the memo. I stupidly keep voting for people who share my convictions. What a dumbass I must be!

Last edited:
An all out civil war is setting up within the Conservatives. What I'm worried about is the old adage: "all press is good press". Does this exposure help the Conservatives?

It could be helping them but I can't see how. I reckon "all press is good press" has limits. Apparent implosion may be one of them.

Does this exposure help the Conservatives?
It will some, not others. Sure as hell yours is one of the questions that's going to be deeply analyzed after this all settles, if it ever does.

Is it good for the Con Party in aggregate? No...but they were in trouble anyway. Just listen to Allen for a dose of gross indigestion. And Dougie Bone. Jeeezuz, this is like something out of Second City writ large and real. Andrea Martin and John Candy (now departed).

It's theatre of the absurd, so Brown couldn't make it any worse. He might end-up being the only sword left in their fight. And the exposure of that just might be what the Cons need to garner public support. Brown is the underdog, and badly wronged in the minds of many.

I'd invest in popcorn futures while the market is still hot...

Last edited:
A contact in the press tells me that they're not even done with allegations against Brown. Other outlets have been investigating Patrick Brown and might've let up after he stepped down. That work is probably full steam ahead as of this afternoon.
So you're saying there's chatter that charges are imminent? :)

Gosharooty! Who would have thought the Ford Family Travelling Carnival & Freakshow from Slob's tenure as mayor would set the tone for the next PC leadership race?

Gosharooty! Who would have thought the Ford Family Travelling Carnival & Freakshow from Slob's tenure as mayor would set the tone for the next PC leadership race?
Far too soon to tell. If Ford gets elected leader, it's all over for the Cons. Ditto Allen. They can fly any flag they want, it doesn't mean that the majority of voters will agree.

The platform was carefully crafted (albeit not my cup of tea) to attract the maximum number of voters, it actually gave them a good possibility of winning. And what happens? The palace thugs deposed Brown, but didn't kill him. And then they had no chance of winning at all. The closest chance is/was probably Mulroney, but massaging the platform, rather than spitting and drooling in fits of rants as to the "rot" etc. That's Ford and Allen, attorneys at flaw. Neither of them has half a freakin' idea of how to run government, let alone affect leadership. They know what they hate, and that's it.

Ironically the best chance the Cons have now is Brown! The plotters and traitors provided him with a raison d'être he lacked previously. Brown always was a flacid hope for the Cons, but at least he had a platform and map to follow. The rest are making it up as they go along, and only two of them can actually read and write.

The other two just rant and spit.

Brown's back from the dead. And almost everyone agrees he was a *victim*! Looks like the tables are turning.

Make no mistake, so far for me, Wynne is the better choice out of all the awful ones, but just to see the likes of Fedeli and Velshi eat their own excrement, I wish Brown well.

Make no mistake, so far for me, Wynne is the better choice out of all the awful ones, but just to see the likes of Fedeli and Velshi eat their own excrement, I wish Brown well.

Indeed, making it up as they go along, and the return of Brown might just expose the hypocrisy of the party, or the part of it that has wanted him gone since he dumped the social conservatives.

About Mulroney, if she is chosen I hope someone will ask that she give up her U.S. citizenship. Enough Liberals were asked to do the same.

Indeed, making it up as they go along, and the return of Brown might just expose the hypocrisy of the party, or the part of it that has wanted him gone since he dumped the social conservatives.

About Mulroney, if she is chosen I hope someone will ask that she give up her U.S. citizenship. Enough Liberals were asked to do the same.
Has any provincial candidate ever been asked that?

John Turner never gave up his British dual citizenship.
Yeah, it's an interesting point.
At least 11 members of Parliament, other than Liberal Leader Stephane Dion, hold dual citizenships, CBC.ca research has confirmed.

Dion was criticized this week because of his reluctance to give up his French citizenship. He was born in Canada but holdsdual citizenship because his mother was born in France.

The Parliament of Canadawebsite shows that 41 of the 308 MPs sitting in the House of Commons were born in 28 countries other than Canada, ranging from Uganda and Malta to China and the United Kingdom.
[...]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/dion-among-a-dozen-mps-with-dual-citizenships-1.574134

Safe to say it won't be a problem, even though the vows of naturalized US citizens do conflict with holding office in another nation.

Back