News   Aug 14, 2024
 307     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 593     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 797     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Very interesting, it seems Wynne is surprised by the move of Tim Hortons.
"Wynne: Pick a fight with me Mr. Joyce, not those working the Tim Hortons pickup window"

However, it also appears that Tim Horton's franchisees made presentations at the hearings in advance of the wage increase.
Committee hears from all sides in labour debate

I guess this confirms that the hearings were a sham because the government was not even listening.

It's a good thing that Wynne didn't try reducing the taxes paid by those on minimum wage, or the tax there employer pays. That would have concentrated on putting money in workers pockets, instead of increasing the taxes paid to government.

AT&T Will Give Workers $1,000 Bonuses to Celebrate the Tax Bill

Very interesting, it seems Wynne is surprised by the move of Tim Hortons.
"Wynne: Pick a fight with me Mr. Joyce, not those working the Tim Hortons pickup window"

However, it also appears that Tim Horton's franchisees made presentations at the hearings in advance of the wage increase.
Committee hears from all sides in labour debate

I guess this confirms that the hearings were a sham because the government was not even listening.

It's a good thing that Wynne didn't try reducing the taxes paid by those on minimum wage, or the tax there employer pays. That would have concentrated on putting money in workers pockets, instead of increasing the taxes paid to government.

AT&T Will Give Workers $1,000 Bonuses to Celebrate the Tax Bill

With the greatest of respect, @BurlOak, your political posts verge on trolling. You too clearly have a bias, and rarely, if ever, let the facts gets in the way of your pre-determined opinion.

The minimum wage increase is NOT a hardship for Tim's franchisees. Period, Full-stop.

Unlike you, I know this to the be the case, because i know the exact percent of cost-of-goods sold represented by labour in the fast food industry, in ON.

While the exact cost hit, will vary slightly by franchise/franchisee, the average increase this minimum wage increase represents is 2.7% of total costs.

This is a very manageable hit.

It will also be partially offset by more folks increasing their ticket-size w/their new found pay.

Such that I expect the net hit to be in the range of 2%, before other policy changes.

Once one considers the small business tax changes.......

These will effectively boost after-tax profit by more than 4% in 2018. (prov. rate 4.5 - 3.5%, and federal from 11 to 9%)

Further it is before noting that the new pharmacare for youth will vastly reduce benefit costs for many small businesses.

On balance there will be very little net cost

All the whining before committees was so much drivel.

To be clear, I would have favoured one additional year of phase in; the choice not to go there was political; just as it was to freeze he minimum wage for the entire Harris years.

Business has benefited from those politics and they still are.

With the greatest of respect, @BurlOak, your political posts verge on trolling. You too clearly have a bias, and rarely, if ever, let the facts gets in the way of your pre-determined opinion.

The minimum wage increase is NOT a hardship for Tim's franchisees. Period, Full-stop.

Unlike you, I know this to the be the case, because i know the exact percent of cost-of-goods sold represented by labour in the fast food industry, in ON.

While the exact cost hit, will vary slightly by franchise/franchisee, the average increase this minimum wage increase represents is 2.7% of total costs.

This is a very manageable hit.

It will also be partially offset by more folks increasing their ticket-size w/their new found pay.

Such that I expect the net hit to be in the range of 2%, before other policy changes.

Once one considers the small business tax changes.......

These will effectively boost after-tax profit by more than 4% in 2018. (prov. rate 4.5 - 3.5%, and federal from 11 to 9%)

Further it is before noting that the new pharmacare for youth will vastly reduce benefit costs for many small businesses.

On balance there will be very little net cost

All the whining before committees was so much drivel.

To be clear, I would have favoured one additional year of phase in; the choice not to go there was political; just as it was to freeze he minimum wage for the entire Harris years.

Business has benefited from those politics and they still are.
Nobody can deny that this last minute policy of the Liberals has nothing to do with helping the poor, and everything to do with running the next election campaign with the hope of steeling NDP votes and demonizing business, and by extension, the PC's.

Someone working 38 hours a week at the previous minimum wage paid 29 cents an hour in provincial income taxes.

Nobody can deny that this last minute policy of the Liberals has nothing to do with helping the poor, and everything to do with running the next election campaign with the hope of steeling NDP votes and demonizing business, and by extension, the PC's.

Leaving aside for the moment the ridiculous notion that the Liberals would "demonize business" (and I am a business owner), their motivations hardly matter. Unlike what the NDP proposes, this has already been implemented. For once, I am not going to be voting for promises, but for real policies that fit entirely with my way of thinking. They are not stealing my vote from the NDP. They are earning it.

Leaving aside for the moment the ridiculous notion that the Liberals would "demonize business" (and I am a business owner), their motivations hardly matter. Unlike what the NDP proposes, this has already been implemented. For once, I am not going to be voting for promises, but for real policies that fit entirely with my way of thinking. They are not stealing my vote from the NDP. They are earning it.

Whatever the motives of the Liberals may be I think is of far less concern to the working poor than the fact their wages have been raised significantly.

Any business owner who thinks it's OK to pay poverty wages deserves to be "demonized."

If anything, it should prompt businesses to become more efficient and drive up productivity. Of course, those wanks at their winter home in Florida would rather take it out on their labour. The labour without which their business amounts to them not having a business to speak of or at least not having time to visit said winter home.

I just despise capitalists who get money-eyes and dream of get-rich-quick paradise whilst trampling on the likes of decency, quality, and honesty and respect. In the field of home construction, I have met many of these dregs of society so am quite familiar with their stench.

Last edited:
And how are AH's tweets - written a few days after the minimum wage went up significantly - not "talk" rather than "action"?
Indeed they are just talk - the NDP has the disappointing habit of making right turns during election campaigns. Though I am happy with recent policies (min. wage, rent control, pharmacare), what I am waiting for (and I'm not going get it) is a party that will stop bragging that our public expenses are the lowest per capita in the country, admit that we have a revenue problem, increase taxes and improve public services.

Surely if you include the debt in the public expenses per capita, that can't be right.
Not saying I disagree, just not sure you included debt in that idea of a figure.

Back