News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am seeing a lot of signs for Michael Thompson and David Smith in our area.
Michael Thompson even has a lot of signs in old Ward 38. He is probably the safest councilor right now. For example, Paul Ainslie also is in a similar situation but he doesn't really have signs in areas that are not his former ward, but Thompson does.

Here in Ward 12 Toronto-St. Pauls, it will be interesting to see who of the incumbents wins - Matlow vs. Mihevc. Mihevc has the west/south side of the ward mostly on his side, while Matlow generally has the north and east side to him due to the old ward boundaries. Both are good councillors that work hard but I'm hoping the younger Matlow wins out.

I do not understand why everyone on the political spectrum is not held to the same standard.

Trust me....I hold them all to the same standard. But that's just me. I think you're right in making your assertion, though it is based on a mad hypothetical situation.

Anyone know who has the advantage in Don Valley West for Jaye Robinson vs. Jon Burnside? They are pretty much identical on the ideological scale.

Anyone know who has the advantage in Don Valley West for Jaye Robinson vs. Jon Burnside? They are pretty much identical on the ideological scale.
Not a clue. I have seen Robinson gain some ground in the signage game south of Eglinton area in the past few days. Her campaign office is in Leaside along Bayview, so obviously she sees a need to gain ground here in order to win. Her campaign office is usually full of people coming by to talk to her (so points to her for accessibility) and I have seen her inside a couple of times.

Wait, what? I just moved from Mimico and haven't even got my new driver's licence yet. I was hoping to show up at the poll with proof of address and vote.
Are you telling me I'm not able to do that?

Edit: Ok, I am still able to register at the poll. Thank funk. I gotta vote for anyone-but-Perks. Welcome back to Parkdale. :)

So, I just had a chat with Perks at the door. He introduced himself as "the progressive candidate in this riding".

Yawn.....that doesn't mean anything. What, the others are regressive?
I'm not interested in your labels, I'm interested in your ideas....and fresh blood.
Next.

He went on about getting landowners to pay more (higher taxes obviously) to help pay for more housing. If you raise property taxes, tenants end up paying for it. As I don't qualify for any sort of housing aid this would negatively impact me, as my landlord can raise my rent above-guideline in the face of an increased property tax burden and I would either have to pay it or move, paying even more at any new place I'd move to. Win-win...fuck you, working class, keep going to work....these entitlements for the wealthy and the poor aren't going to pay themselves!

So, basically, Gord meant to say that working class "middle" class suckas like me can keep paying for everyone else's entitlements and be happy we have the opportunity to do so.

I told him that my only political (or main) issue I care about is electoral reform. Then we talked about ranked balloting municipally. Still boring....I'm talking provincial and federal proportional representation.

He went on to blame a bunch of things on Tory and said he's backing Keesmaat for mayor.

Anyway, I'm voting for Jose Vera....unless he says something stupid.

Back