News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 915     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Might be too late for this election but perhaps in four years we can round up twenty-five conjoined twins and have them run for council. That way we can have both 25 and 50 representatives.
LOL, sry crossed my mind earlier today and found it thoroughly amusing.

Local York South Weston NDPers and progressive Liberals hitched their wagon to Padovani instead of Olawoye, which I think was a bad move. Olawoye had a decent showing in 2014 and likely has more name recognition in 2018

It was a good move relative to the 47-ward model. That's the core of the problem here.

Giorgio Mammoliti‏@mammolitiward7

Giorgio Mammoliti Retweeted David Rider

Main Street who? Oh , you mean the lefty, not known polling company? I have seen three polls as of yesterday and they all have me winning. Either Main Street is wrong or they are just trying to sway vote through the lefty star newspaper. They will try anything!!!!

9:42 AM - 28 Sep 2018

I'm wondering if he'd demand a re-vote if he loses. Now, *that'd* take fake-news accusations into laughing gas territory--y'know, suggesting that he lost because of "fake ballots" or "biased polling clerks" or something...

Unfortunate to see progressive forces so weak in York South-Weston and Scarborough Southwest, two ridings that went NDP in the provincial election.

The problem in Scarborough Southwest is that all the progressives are former educators and running for School trustee.

Robert Spencer and Parthi Kendeval are two notable names. Personally I would have voted for Bob Spencer if he had run for councilor. He ran once before in ward 36 and came second to Crawford.

I do not understand why everyone on the political spectrum is not held to the same standard. Chow would have gotten off so easy if she did nothing for 4 years.
There is 0% chance that if Chow had been elected that she would have done nothing for 4 years. You might not agree with the things she would have done, but it would not have been nothing.

Unfortunate to see progressive forces so weak in York South-Weston and Scarborough Southwest, two ridings that went NDP in the provincial election.
The ONDP vote in York South Weston actually went down in the June 2018 compared to the last election, despite them winning the riding this time. They did better when Andrea ran as the more anti-downtown elite (ie. Wynne) in the 2014 election. It's more of a blue collar labour-left, rough around the edges (not so unlike Nunziata herself), not so much a progressive-left riding.

I do not understand why everyone on the political spectrum is not held to the same standard. Chow would have gotten off so easy if she did nothing for 4 years.
Because here at least, you're comparing reality versus fiction. You don't know, so speculation is absolutely ridiculous, and you're using it to just make a point based on political bias.

Tory has also not "done nothing". While being benign and fairly low-key, things like working on the TCH backlog, lowering TTC rates for the disabled and other things just aren't flashy, news making items. But they do make a massive difference to those affected. A rampaging bull gets a lot of attention, but also does a metric shitton of damage. I'm far from a Tory fan, but he's being going at things with a fairly measured approach — a refreshing change compared to the previous mayor. And he has done a few things that all political leanings like, which also don't attract media attention. We feed on the bad stuff, not the good.

Back