News   Jul 12, 2024
 989     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 858     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd love to see Jimmy K. go down but I don't see that happening. Norm Kelly may have the "uncle Norm" thing but Karygiannis is one of the most formidable campaigners in the country.

To be fair, while knowledge, wisdom and leadership skills can all be obtained without formal education, most people hone, refine and deepen their skill through that route and that route offers short-hand evidence for at least the first of those traits.

There are of course, plenty of examples of people with formal education in spades who were neither bright, nor ethical; and more still for those whose grasp far exceeded the reach evidenced by their level of education.

These things aren't absolutes.

I'm just wondering what I should establish as my limit for potential achievement in life, considering I'm a multi-time post-secondary school drop out. Clearly shouldn't dare hold public office.

I think what offends many about Ford is that he clearly lacks those desirable traits, lacks any education that would suggest he ever possessed any of these traits, and not only does he seem unconcerned by either of those facts, he seems incredibly proud of both.

Well, yeah, but if he's to be used as an example to generalise about the rest of us......um, unschooled...then I mean, geeze, may as well give up now if that's the standard of character that generally represents us.

I'm just wondering what I should establish as my limit for potential achievement in life, considering I'm a multi-time post-secondary school drop out. Clearly shouldn't dare hold public office.

Well, yeah, but if he's to be used as an example to generalise about the rest of us......um, unschooled...then I mean, geeze, may as well give up now if that's the standard of character that generally represents us.

Mtown, you are far beyond generalization of any kind.

Further, no one would ever associate you with our Premier. I would never insult you that way!

Mtown, you are far beyond generalization of any kind.

Further, no one would ever associate you with our Premier. I would never insult you that way!

I guess having dropped out of university twice and college once is enough to have allowed me to attain at least a partial education, true. ;)

Also, thanks for the compliment.

PS: To be honest, school wasn't right for me at any time in my life. I required the most unstructured education possible. Worked out alright.

Wow, maybe I took the sentiment expressed earlier personally. Poor form. Next.

That all being said, I do too feel that it was time for a chance. I think the anti-Wynne sentiment was in fact the confluence of extreme voters' extreme fatigue with the Liberals and pushback against a female premier who had the guts to push some more progressive policies. I also think misogyny played a non-trivial role.
You forgot to mention homophobic.

It's amazing how in 4 years after witnessing Wynne leadership style and the results of 15 years of Liberal rule, so many people became misogynist and homophobic when they weren't before.

Hey not sure if you know the but the local NDP MPP was Anthony Peruzzas Executive Assistant. In fact Tom Rakoveic is a huge part of Anthonys team he is constantly canvassing with him. Anthony has huge NDP support in that area.

Just a few comments on your points as I understand that people who are not aware of the nitty gritty up there dont know.

1. All Tiffany supporters are all downtown I don't know if you have noticed she has nobody high profile supporting her in that area.
2. Her high profile supporters do not resonate at all with the residents up in Ward 7. I would hasten to bet a 100 dollars that if I went on knocked on 20 doors right now any of them would know Kristyn wong Tam for example. However, I understand Kristyns support of Tiffany is more to do with getting more women elected which I completely understand.
3. People dont realise that but Italians do not dominate that area anymore. In fact the second and third most spoken language after Italian up there is Spanish and Vietnamese. Anthony has huge support in the latin
American community up there.
4. People again are given too much credence to the Italian Block it is not that powerful. Anthony has huge Italian Support but he diversifys that with other support. Mammo's support is 90% other Italians.
5. Sgro is not well liked because most people there dont like nepotism so the idea she is just coatailing on her mother (Judy Sgros) name does not resonate well. As was proven by the provincial election.
6. The biggest misconception is about Jane/Finch. The truth is Jane and Finch is a tiny part of Ward 7. There are way bigger vote rich areas like Humber Sunmit, Humberlee etc.

Another thing: Mammo got 46% and 6,816 votes. Perruzza got 71% and 8,705 votes.

I'd take Keegan Henry -Mathieu's assistant's comments with a grain of salt. Keegan came in a very distant sixth place in 2014, getting only a few hundred votes.

Considering that Tiffany Ford is an elected official, I would expect her to do far better. It's unfortunate, though that there was the chance to take Mammo on but now stuck in race with Anthony Perruzza, an erratic and not terribly effective left-leaning councillor.

Deanna Natale (Sgro) is garbage, I'll agree with Kevin on that.

I'd take Keegan Henry -Mathieu's assistant's comments with a grain of salt. Keegan came in a very distant sixth place in 2014, getting only a few hundred votes.

Considering that Tiffany Ford is an elected official, I would expect her to do far better. It's unfortunate, though that there was the chance to take Mammo on but now stuck in race with Anthony Perruzza, an erratic and not terribly effective left-leaning councillor.

Deanna Natale (Sgro) is garbage, I'll agree with Kevin on that.

I am not sure where I am advocating for Keegan in my comments. He is not running and he would certainly not have beaten Peruzza either. My comments were based on my very real experience on the ground and to give another alternative to the constant online chatter about Tiffany and her candidacy. If you believe that TIffany just because she is the TDSB for the area she is nearly a shoe in to be elected that's your opinion. I find it odd so much credence is given for TDSB candidates and their supposed strength in council elections. If this was the case we should just get rid of elections as the TDSB candidate would win the council seat everytime.....surprisingly that doesn't happen.

On your comments on Peruzza, I think his voting record and activism speaks volumes about what type of Councillor he would be. I would advise anyone to just look at his voting record in the last term from bikes lanes to Scar subway he was always on the progressive side. Is he perfect no of course not but don't forget a Councillor has to represent his community also. Property tax increase of of 5% aren't exactly going to help his community, one of the poorest in Toronto.

Anyway we shall see on October 22nd. If you hate Mammo and want to see him gone I would advise anyone to spend their time and money on Peruzza campaign. I personally think using it on Tiffany's campaign is a waste of time but if you feel strongly she is the one then by all means do it. Its vitally important to get involved in your local politics no matter how.

Peruzza often spats with Karygiannis, and seems to have a similar personality type (although not of the same ideological stripe).

Again I am not saying Peruzza is perfect, no one is and in my comments to ShonTron I have touched on that. What I am saying is for the first time in 30 years we really have a chance to get rid of Mammo once and for all. However, that will be prevented if the vote splits too much. So yes people may like TIffany that is fine but she will not win and every vote for her is one taken from Anthony. I am gutted with Keegan dropping out but we have to remember the bigger picture here, Mammo if elected will have control over an area with 120k residents, he will be one of 25 very powerful voices. That is fucking terrifying for me and I think for anyone who loves Toronto.

Again I am not saying Peruzza is perfect, no one is and in my comments to ShonTron I have touched on that. What I am saying is for the first time in 30 years we really have a chance to get rid of Mammo once and for all. However, that will be prevented if the vote splits too much. So yes people may like TIffany that is fine but she will not win and every vote for her is one taken from Anthony. I am gutted with Keegan dropping out but we have to remember the bigger picture here, Mammo if elected will have control over an area with 120k residents, he will be one of 25 very powerful voices. That is fucking terrifying for me and I think for anyone who loves Toronto.

Kevin, I appreciate your on the ground perspective.

Kevin, I appreciate your on the ground perspective.

Thank you. Based on what I am seeing I really think this is the opportunity to rid this city of that asshole. Even Nic Dinizio who has challenged and came bloody close to beating Mammo in last two election did not have the resources and team that Peruzza has. I really feel this is it this time, Mammo is on the backfoot and knows he is in trouble.

Back