News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 861     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do not see any evidence saying more councillors means a better city though? A city like Detriot has a ton of councillors while other cities have less per capita...

I think the quality of the councillors that matters the most I think?

I think that is the most pressing problem at city hall to me, then the number of them that ar required.

If your boss doubled the amount of work you have to do every day, how effective would you be?

If your boss doubled the amount of work you have to do every day, how effective would you be?

What is the link between more councillors and a better city though?
What you are talking about is the Ford Plan..

I am saying why do we need more than the 44 already?

Frankly, I could care less about the number of councillors 44,57,107, I think we need a stronger mayor system like in NYC and such. I feel those mayors actually have the power to push through grand ideas while the past few mayors of Toronto seem to get bog down endlessly as they have limited power.

Frankly, I could care less about the number of councillors 44,57,107, I think we need a stronger mayor system like in NYC and such. I feel those mayors actually have the power to push through grand ideas while the past few mayors of Toronto seem to get bog down endlessly as they have limited power.

Surprised anyone that lived in Toronto during Rob Ford's mayoralty would support a strong mayor system.

@BurlOak .....hi, I know you can see this.....again, do you live in Toronto?

...or are you like that joker in Sault Ste Marie who was on Radio 1 this afternoon telling the province about how a city as small as his has 10 councillors but that a city the size of Toronto should by his logic be fine with 25 because Sault Ste Marie has only 10?

Do you live in Toronto?

Am I typing in German?
Cyrillic?
Don't know the answer?
I lived in Toronto under the 44 Councillor system - not anymore. I suppose those on the outside are more able to make an honest impartial assessment.

Yes, be careful what you wish for. Tory is term limiting himself and 2022 could present some candidates who shouldn't come close to strong mayor powers...
I still think this change, and a potential change to increase the Mayor's powers, will encourage Tory to stick around for yet another term because things would run that much smoother.

I think it's more your boss redefining your job title to be more of a manager than actually the one doing the work.
I think that happens to about everyone.

Surprised anyone that lived in Toronto during Rob Ford's mayoralty would support a strong mayor system.

Yes, be careful what you wish for. Tory is term limiting himself and 2022 could present some candidates who shouldn't come close to strong mayor powers...

I've always said... before proposing a legislation that strengthens one's own political power or authority (or a parliamentary precedent for that matter *cough* Douglas *cough*), you should imagine what your worst political enemy could do if wielding same said power.

That is a balancing thought-exercise that applies equally well whether you stand on the political left or right.

I suppose those on the outside are more able to make an honest impartial assessment.

Not really. If anyone has ever ventured outside the city it's apparent the anti-Toronto sentiment is strong to the point it's a hardcore bias, seemingly particularly for those who've never set foot in the city. It's a bit of a running joke in this country. And you see the nonsense on these threads by UTers about how Toronto is so dumb because it's not like ____ country or city, or some stupid baseless rubbish. For no other reason than someone saw a skyline photo of Shanghai or a street scene in Paris or a subway station in Stockholm. And then there are those that think they'll benefit. By slashing TO's council Doug will give us subways, and let us ride for free, and build Taj Mahal stations. Subways for all, more Toronto money pumped out to me, put the big smoke's elites in their place.

No, I think those on the outside are significantly less likely to make an honest, impartial assessment.

As he is clearly easily confused by long words he could also announce that there will be "No Standing" on the subway because he will magically expand it so much that everyone can sit? Now THAT would be Not-With-Standing!! Sigh!

SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS! NOT WITH STANDING!

Not sure if this was posted but it is an interesting development.

Screenshot_20180911-061255_Twitter.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180911-061255_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20180911-061255_Twitter.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 292
Of course we do BUT it is important it is done properly with all the associated changes also made. Ramming it through was bad enough, using the NWC is simply wrong.
But this proposal that Ford wait is disingenuous. We all know that if he waits, the next municipal election is after Ford's mandate, and maybe after he's out of power. So what we're really saying by asking for a "reasonable" delay is that we hope we can wait out Ford and the councilor count change never happens. Ford knows this too, know's he's being played by those making such proposals, and knows that if he wants to make this change during his time as premier, he must do it now. Ford also knows the electorate can and will judge his actions here in 3-1/2 years, and I'd say he's fine with that.

But this proposal that Ford wait is disingenuous. We all know that if he waits, the next municipal election is after Ford's mandate, and maybe after he's out of power. So what we're really saying by asking for a "reasonable" delay is that we hope we can wait out Ford and the councilor count change never happens. Ford knows this too, know's he's being played by those making such proposals, and knows that if he wants to make this change during his time as premier, he must do it now. Ford also knows the electorate can and will judge his actions here in 3-1/2 years, and I'd say he's fine with that.
Yes, if Ford simply agreed to make Bill 5 effective after 22 October the next election would, probably, come after his term is over (and based on the past few months he will not get another) so it is possible that it could be revoked BUT I think a case can be made for a smaller Council and there appear to be FAR more people pissed off about the rushed nature of what he is doing than those opposed to what is actually being proposed. There is nothing 'magical' about the number of Councillors (and having all 3 levels of electoral district the same makes some sense) but Councillors are simply the tip of the iceberg. If you have fewer Councillors you will need to have fewer committees & Boards (or give them more power) and/or give more power to Community Councils and/or create the equivalent of NYC's 'community boards' and/or ???? Making Bill 5 effective November 1 would allow the City to make these essential and inter-connected changes so that after next election we could operate 'more efficiently' with a much smaller number of Councillors.

It's difficult to understand why Ford defenders are backing this move. He's spending an outrageous amount of (provincial) political capital on a municipal issue that is at best hazy, and his proposed solution is at best poorly defended.

The best explanation, again, is that he's vindictive, petty, and has very little understanding of the significance of his own position.

I believe him yesterday when he said it's 'shocking' that the judiciary can limit the reach of the legislative branch. But that's because for Ford 'democracy' is simple arithmetic whose sum value is held fixed for four years until there's another election. He literally understands democracy as majoritarian rule, plain and simple.

We don't let people teach kids how to count crayons without a university degree. But here we have someone in the premier's chair who thinks that parliamentary democracy can be exhaustively reduced to 'my numbers are bigger than yours'. It's staggeringly stupid.

Back