News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 859     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was announced today that Shelley Carroll will run for MPP in the new riding of Don Valley North. The Star reported that it is "unclear if Carroll would remain as a city councillor during the provincial election, or if she would run again municipally if she loses in Don Valley North."

It was announced today that Shelley Carroll will run for MPP in the new riding of Don Valley North. The Star reported that it is "unclear if Carroll would remain as a city councillor during the provincial election, or if she would run again municipally if she loses in Don Valley North."

Her ward is the kind of place where another right wing car-servative could easily be elected to council if Carroll leaves. I mean, just look at who represents all the neighbouring wards: Jay Robinson, Shiner, Minnan-Wong, Norm Kelly, Karygiannis. This could be bad.

Her ward is the kind of place where another right wing car-servative could easily be elected to council if Carroll leaves. I mean, just look at who represents all the neighbouring wards: Jay Robinson, Shiner, Minnan-Wong, Norm Kelly, Karygiannis. This could be bad.

Some of the very worst; my fears exactly. Fingers crossed that we'll get the new ward boundaries enacted in time for the election, but that's far from a certainty (to say nothing of the fact that it's also not a guarantee that each of those new wards nets us another reasonable non-crazy person on Council).

On the bright side, at least Carroll will be good addition for the Toronto caucus at Queen's Park.

Great post by Sean Marshall on the 2018 council races.

It’s likely that Mayor Tory will win re-election, but we still need a strong, progressive candidate for mayor, willing to take Tory to task for the consequences of his budget cuts, his dithering on transit infrastructure, and his resistance to police reform. If nothing more, it will make the mayor accountable, and energize progressive voters.

But even more importantly, it’s necessary to back progressive candidates for city council, ideally replacing weak representatives on City Council, and especially against unreasonable and uncooperative politicians like Giorgio Mammoliti (Ward 7), and councillors who actively resist change, like Tory ally Justin Di Ciano (Ward 5),who blocked municipal voting reform and is now fighting Toronto’s new ward boundaries.

https://seanmarshall.ca/2017/05/28/a-call-for-a-progressive-toronto/comment-page-1/#comment-1327

Also wondering about the cast of characters running against Moeser in 2014 (particularly 2nd placer Jennifer McKelvie)

Back