News   Apr 19, 2024
 175     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 508     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 669     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Words are meaningless - action is everything. I suppose we won't really know until the deadline - and I am not counting out that possibility until then.

AoD
Agreed that we do not KNOW that Troisi is going to run in Ward 21 but that is the STRONG rumour in the area and (I am told) at City Hall. She was appointed (by suburban councillors) in direct opposition to the wishes of many neighbourhood groups and so far she has managed to annoy many of them. See the talk about overnight road work and http://www.slna.ca/news/protecting-our-heritage ) as examples.

Last edited:
Agreed that we do not KNOW that Troisi is going to run in Ward 21 but that is the STRONG rumour in the area and (I am told) at City Hall. So was appointed (by suburban councillors) in direct opposition to the wishes of many neighbourhood groups and so far she has managed to annoy many of them. See the talk about overnight road work and http://www.slna.ca/news/protecting-our-heritage ) as examples.

Let's just say strategically she would be useful to what I presume will be a Tory administration, especially given the new ward boundaries - and she seem to be posturing in a way that is suggestive of a run. I hope she does and have the platter handed to her.

AoD

Let's just say strategically she would be useful to what I presume will be a Tory administration, especially given the new ward boundaries - and she seem to be posturing in a way that is suggestive of a run. I hope she does and have the platter handed to her.

AoD
If Troisi's seeking something "viable", how might running against Fragedakis for the Rosedale vote sound?

I could see any of the above scenarios for Troisi. However, if she does run, I would not consider her the obvious front-runner. She has little to no name recognition among the average constituent, and will have sent no more than two newsletters out. Also, given that she was appointed, she doesn't have large donor or volunteer pool ready to go come September.

I could see any of the above scenarios for Troisi. However, if she does run, I would not consider her the obvious front-runner. She has little to no name recognition among the average constituent, and will have sent no more than two newsletters out. Also, given that she was appointed, she doesn't have large donor or volunteer pool ready to go come September.
and, more importantly, if she runs she will be proving that she tells lies! At her appointment Council meeting she was asked if she was going to run "in this or any other Ward". She said "No". OK, there is no LEGAL prohibition on her running but ......

Unfortunately Frank Di Giorgio and John Campbell are running again.

Any word of potential opponents for Justin Di Ciano? I'm hopeful that if Etobicoke MPPs Peter Milczyn or Yvan Baker lose, they run against him.

Last edited:
In the new Ward 38, Gary Crawford's ward, a local chiropractor has thrown his hat into the ring. Crawford didn't win by a huge margin in 2014, and Gerard Arbour is quite well known to the area having been a chiropractor on Kingston Road in Cliffside for decades. He's also very active in the local community.

Scarborough needs city councillors who are accountable, transparent and demonstrate good leadership skills. Our Free Scarborough candidate, Robert McDermott will represent the best interests of residents in Ward 39 in Scarborough, and engage local residents in the decision-making process. We will put Scarborough first.
We also want Councillors who will look at the needs of the WHOLE CITY.

She will not be the only one running against Carmichael-Greb. ;)

Is that a sure thing? I hadn't heard any "reliable" rumours.

I know of at least one who should have a good shot, and have heard from others that there's at least a second (which is actually bad re: vote splitting, again).

I've heard of one really great candidate for the new Ward 14 (which has nearly the same boundaries as the existing Ward 16) who has the support of some prominent residents and a 2014 candidate who's not running again, but yes, vote splitting will not be beneficial there.

I think it's time to finally reveal who we were hyping up. :)

436accd2-c266-4a92-a743-38be7eeefa05.png

Beth has been involved in the community for a long time. She's sat on North York's committee of adjustments for years, was a part of Marco Mendocino's office, has a background in urban planning, and is the daughter of Ed Levy, a pretty renowned transportation planner and historian in the city, as some of you probably already knew. :)

She'd be an excellent addition to City Council, understands how planning works, and would be a massive improvement over the sitting Councillor Carmichael-Greb.

Let's hope that the vote splitting works out better this time around.

Attachments

• 436accd2-c266-4a92-a743-38be7eeefa05.png
    436accd2-c266-4a92-a743-38be7eeefa05.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 464
The current councillor in Ward 39, Michelle Holland, missed 50% of City Council meetings, including the budget meeting which determines how money is spent on projects in the ward. She had the worst attendance record of any of the 45 member Toronto City Council members last year. It is absolutely unacceptable and poor leadership. Free Scarborough's candidate, Robert McDermott is a well-respected realtor and community activist in Scarborough. He will engage residents in the ward and provide much better representation for the area residents at City Hall.

A Scarborough separatist group wants to run a candidate. Good to know. It certainly sounds like you have the city’s interests in mind. Yay. More of the whiny Scarborough “the rest of the city gives us nothing, but we don’t ever want what all the things you keep giving to us” mentality.

At least run transparently on the motives of your organization, rather than the idea that you’ll just be better than a slacker. If you respected Scarborough and it’s people, Robert, you’d run an honest campaign.

Free Scarborough will represent the best interests of Scarborough residents, not downtown Toronto's amalgamated agenda. Scarborough first.

I love how you put the "downtown" spin on things. As if downtown has ever truly had a balanced pull in Toronto council. People in the suburbs (fewer constituents per council vote) have held far more power than those in the core.

You know what this city really needs? Another old, white male complaining about what everyone else is getting.

Free Scarborough will represent the best interests of Scarborough residents, not downtown Toronto's amalgamated agenda. Scarborough first.

re "Scarborough First", *anything* "First" these days is tarred by association with Trump and "America First" (and I can Godwin that into the roots of the term "America First", though that might be a bit presumptious at this point).

Much as I've chided a pro-Ford poster about how uttering "MOGA" doesn't help Doug Ford's cause, even if it might seem otherwise to the Ford/Trump crossover support crew...

I fully endorse Scarborough going their own way. As their own city, they'll be forced to embrace responsible growth (like Mississauga) and won't be able to make the rest of the city pay for their mistakes.

The current councillor in Ward 39, Michelle Holland, missed 50% of City Council meetings, including the budget meeting which determines how money is spent on projects in the ward. She had the worst attendance record of any of the 45 member Toronto City Council members last year. It is absolutely unacceptable and poor leadership. Free Scarborough's candidate, Robert McDermott is a well-respected realtor and community activist in Scarborough. He will engage residents in the ward and provide much better representation for the area residents at City Hall.

She also has flipped back and forth with her last name, I guess knowing how important name recognition is, as she has been a councillor for 2 terms and her husband Lorenzo has been a Scarborough MPP for a few years. Now she's hyphenated it to Holland-Berardinetti.

She has always had a poor record at council meetings.

Last edited:

Back