News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

Robert Benzie ‏@robertbenzie 2m2 minutes ago
.@brownbarrie says he would have voted against sex ed curriculum. Says it's adequate now. #onpoli

This from a debate with Elliott.

Steve Paikin ‏@spaikin 20s21 seconds ago
.@brownbarrie insists he's a "pragmatic tory," and will not be captive to the social conservatives. #onpoli #pcpo

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/595235114495430656

Robert BenzieVerified account
‏@robertbenzie
Some of the #pcpo MPPs wearing pink to protest @MonteMcNaughton's attack on @chriselliottpc. #onpoli

Robert Benzie ‏@robertbenzie 8m8 minutes ago
.@MonteMcNaughton is at Queen's Park today, but not in legislature. #onpoli #pcpo

Just like council!

Robert Benzie ‏@robertbenzie 51s51 seconds ago
Reporters are waiting to scrum @MonteMcNaughton outside his office. #pcpo #onpoli

Last edited:
This is the sort of Octob..urgh "May" surprise that could sink the Brown team. Homophobic and sexist, and could embolden the Elliot team in getting out the vote.

Last edited:
That last thing I want to do is defend Brown or McNaughton, but is this really a homophobic comment? Pink has long been used as a political pejorative for someone who is perceived as being too left-wing. It was used in direct reference to Elliott stating that she wanted a blue (conservative) tent. I remember when Ernie Eves was followed around by a guy in a Pink Panther suit.

Is there something I'm missing that clarifies that the comment was made in a homophobic manner, rather than typical, expected political hyperbole?

Is there something I'm missing that clarifies that the comment was made in a homophobic manner, rather than typical, expected political hyperbole?
Reading the curriculum, there is little in there that wasn't there, when I took Sex Ed back when Bill Davis was Premier. They certainly mentioned masturbation during the 1970s (I remember, as recall being surprised that my little secret was not actually a secret, after whatever mandatory 1950s Sex Ed film was shown :) )

So what's changed? Discussion of social media. No one seems to think that is a bad thing.

And mentions that homosexuality exists (back in the 1970s, we found out by watching Billy Crystal on Soap). I really don't know how you avoid it in school these days ... I'm aware of a couple of same-sex parents in my daughter's grade one class ... and I've hardly been counting.

So it's hard to see how opposing this curriculum isn't anything except homophobia.

Patrick Brown has certainly made it clear in the past that he is homophobic. Not sure if McNaughton has or not ... but I haven't bothered to check.

Given how similar the new curriculum is to the old curriculum, and to the curriculum of the Big Blue machine, I don't see how any Conservative politician could oppose it, without raising some huge questions.

I'm relieved that Eilliot has the morals to not turn this into an wedge issue. Though I think the Conservatives would do better in 2018 under Elliot, than under Brown if he were to make this an issue.

I doubt Brown has much of a chance. He might have got a lot of people to sign up to the party, however his support was mostly in a few ridings, and the leadership vote is normalized so that each riding has equal weighting in.

Interesting that we'll have 3 female leaders in the next election. I wonder if that will change the tone any.

Last edited:
Patrick Brown has certainly made it clear in the past that he is homophobic. Not sure if McNaughton has or not ... but I haven't bothered to check.

Mr McBigot openly said that Wynne shouldn't be premier because she is gay. Nuff said...

That last thing I want to do is defend Brown or McNaughton, but is this really a homophobic comment? Pink has long been used as a political pejorative for someone who is perceived as being too left-wing.

That is about economics. I don't know how you can look at McNaughton's letter and think he is talking about economic issues. He is obviously referring to homosexuality, not communism. The entire email he criticizes Elliott's stance on the new sex-ed program. It has nothing to do with economics.

But "pinko" isn't about economics. It's a pejorative thrown at anyone who is perceived as being too left-wing in general. It's mentioned in direct contrast to "blue tent".

The full quote is: "Ms. Elliott should rename her tent the “Little Red Tent”, or “Little Pink Tent.”". Note the use of "red tent" as well.

The opposition to the new curriculum is shameful and is clearly rooted in ignorance, but I'm still not seeing a reason to jump to accusations of homophobia.

Is this a dogwhistle that I simply can't hear?

Mr McBigot openly said that Wynne shouldn't be premier because she is gay. Nuff said...
Good grief. Really?

Well that's sets the tone for his comment then. I guess the hard-core Conservatives have exposed themselves for what they really are.

Kudos to Elliot for not playing that kind of game. Perhaps there is hope for a decent right-wing alternative in a future election rather than another Harris or Hudak.

I think the very fact that he showed up to support protests where those involved are putting forth ridiculous and disgusting posters and banners spoke enough about his stance. Everyone knows that written words will be parsed, and frankly it's one's actions that is more telling.

AoD

I think the very fact that he showed up to support protests where those involved are putting forth ridiculous and disgusting posters and banners spoke enough about his stance. Everyone knows that written words will be parsed, and frankly it's one's actions that is more telling.

I agree. Let's criticize his stance, his opinions, and his involvement in these ignorance-based protests. There's plenty to criticize without having to resort to looking for hidden meanings.

That's horrifying, but I looked and couldn't find any quote. Do you have a source?

Back